Author Topic: EL MIRAGE TECH  (Read 14616 times)

Offline FADED

EL MIRAGE TECH
« on: March 18, 2010, 04:45:46 PM »
Getting my bike ready for May and I have a million questions. I am going out in May for the first round of tech, my question is what are the main things they are looking at for a motorcycle. I know I will probly fail but I want to be ready as possible. thanks for any advise

Offline bak189

Re: EL MIRAGE TECH
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »
Don't give Tom Evans any back-talk.....most important........be nice to his back Dog........
Question authority.....always

Offline bak189

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »
That is BLACK DOG.....sorry................
Question authority.....always

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »
Do you have a rule book?? What kind of bike?  

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline FADED

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:04:45 PM »
I'm building a 100cc yamaha, I do have a rule book from 2009. It doesnt really get specific on the small things? For example: gas cap? It has a scew on type on the current tank. I'm going to be safety wireing all obvious nuts/bolts. How detailed should I get? Like I said this is just the start and I am a beginer.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 05:07:33 PM »
There is no reason to fail tech when you live in the heart of SoCal. If you're not in club call the folks listed in the rule book or the SCTA web site. You can take the bike to them for a pre-inspection. Shouldn't be a big deal.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:24:51 PM »
You have nothing to fear but fear itself (and Tom Evans!  LOL)  Just make sure you have everything wired that the rule book calls for and wire anything you think might fall off.  Overkill is not a bad thing.  Your helmet must be Snell 2000 or better.  If you have to go get a new helmet get a Snell 2005.  The helmet must have a Snell rating sticker on it.  Tom won't take your word on it.  Your leathers must be ALL leather.  Cloth vents under the arms, crotch, behind the knees aren't allowed.   In reality the tech guys aren't a bad lot.  If you have  problem they will work with you.   And remember being in tech is like being a lollipop stick.  No matter what you're the fuzzy end.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline FADED

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »
COOL thanks a million guys. I do have a club in mind (no comment) as far as the rule book, like I said I have last years, where do I look for the answer to the questions Im askin? All I see is classifications and classes, not really the details?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline FADED

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
MIKE, I DO NOW! THANKS THAT EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!

Offline FADED

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 06:17:18 PM »
One more question (for now) brakes in my class do I need front and rear brakes? I was planning on just rear.

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »
Faded.....

It's all in the rule book but I'll try to summarize and leave it to others to fill in the blanks.

REMEMBER THESE ARE JUST THE HIGH POINTS.  READ SECTION 7 (MOTORCYCLE COMPETITION SPECIFICATION). Read all of Section 7A, read all of Section 7B, read all of Section 7C, read all of Section 7D.

Then read the Section 7? that pertains to the specific class you'll be running in.

1- Front and rear axles safety wired as well as the pinch bolts on the front axle. To prevent my rear from being able rotate I safety wired the rear axle to the frame.

2- Steering dampner. (cannot act as a steering stop).

3- Steering Stop must limit the fork side travel to 15 deg. right, 15 deg. left for a total of 30 deg.

4- Ball ends (at least 1/2 inch in dia.) on your brake and clutch lever.

5- Metal valve caps on your valve stems.

6- Tires rated for the speed of the class you'll be running in. (example 100 cc A/G is a 98.510 record at El
     Mirage. This means if you run this class you would have to run a tire with an H speed rating even if    
    you think your bike will run slower).

7- You'll need a current, valid, State drivers license with the motorcycle endorsement.

8- You'll need an engine shut off switch that can be operated with your hands on the handlebars.

9- Ignition kill switch with a lanyard attached to the switch and to the rider.

10- Gas shut off valve that you can operate from the rider can reach while seated on the bike.

11- A self closing throttle.

12- Any glass on the bike (headlight etc.) must be taped over or removed dependig on the class you'll be
      in.

13- Mirrors can be removed.

14- Foot pegs, one set only and you must be able to operate the foot controls with your feet on the pegs.

15- Wheels, Must be a minimum dia of 15 inches and cross ventilated by an area equal to 25% of the
      mominal rim circle area (no solid front wheels!).

16- Handle bars must be used for steering.

17- Exhaust directed away from the rider and the course surface.

18- Chain guard must be 3/32 inch thick if steel and 1/8 inch thick if aluminum. It must be secured in at least two (2) places.  The chain guard must run from the center of the front sprocket to the rear edge of the rear sprocket. The chain guard must be 1-1/2 times the width of the chain.

19- At minumin a rear brake is needed.  The brake can be operated from the foot or the handlebars.

20- No front fender is necessary (unless you're runing in the Production class).

21- One piece leathers, or two piece, if they zip all the way around the curcumerance of your waist. Check
      out the section of the rule book on leathers carefully to make sure you're okay.

22- Leather gloves....No half fingers or perforation allowed.

23- Leather boots, zipper, lace-up or buckle..at least 8" high.

24- 5 LB. Fire Extinguisher in your tow vehicle.

25- Working CB radio in your tow vehicle.

26- Helmet---Full face with face shield. Helmet must be Snell M2000 certified or better.

27- Number plate..READ THE NEW RULES ON NUMBER PLATES AND NUMBERS IN SECTION 7.B.1

Good luck, see you in May....

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 06:41:53 PM »
from a non bike guy who has been through bike inspection  twice---try to pick a class where the inspectors aren't associated with the record   :-D  lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline FADED

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
COOL, THANKS AGAIN, SOUND EASIER THAN I WAS EXPECTING.

Offline FADED

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 06:54:11 PM »
WAIT! I need a motorcycle license? I'm not ridin on the street? I do have a expired permit, will that work?