Author Topic: Banger Belly Tank  (Read 18430 times)

Offline hitz

Re: Banger Belly Tank
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 01:54:05 PM »
I believe Joe Timney was one of the founders of ECTA and being a chassis builder (Delaware Chassis Works) would see the need to angle that front loop. The SCTA would no doubt be conscience of that but it's possible that one of the old roadster boy's (bless their souls) has a car with a upright front bar and is sort of grandfathered in. No big deal unless it causes some injury.

CTRon
you said:" go figure".

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »
This topic should probly be combined with the other.

The 110 ECTA angle in my senile mind seems to translate to 20 degrees from vertical (straight up and down) like the SFI specs.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 04:48:25 AM »
Well it sure has been a long time since I have made an update here so I figured I should get on that. I had to put the car aside for about a year untill I was able to get settled in at my new shop. Once I finally got back to it I decided that I needed to tackle the roll cage and get that finished up. I completly re-designed the hoops, shortned its stance, and laid back the front hoop to 122 degrees to comply with the rule book.

Everyone I have contacted so far about the cage has approved.
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 04:54:53 AM »
One more pic.
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 07:11:14 AM »
Good to see you are able to get back on the build again.  Shop looks good, plenty of elbow room!

Life stuff has had us in a bit of build hibernation as well, should be back at it soon.  Will send you an email when we are.

Ed

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 11:27:30 PM »
Definitely looks a lot better down there & it'll be a bunch slipperier too.
Your wall is looking a little Burt-ish there mate!
  Sid.

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 04:32:32 AM »
I am really glad I was forced to go back and re-do the cage, I think it has a much better design now. Hahaha yea I might have took a few ideas from Burt, I needed somthing to hang up there!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 10:25:31 PM »
cage looks way better....

When you're building these things there is no right ...but there are heaps of wrongs.

If there was a right most of "us" wouldn't be interested in them.

Bunch of door-slammer guys scratching their heads right now. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
 You're right Goggs, Ya see a few people that can take a tank & ugly the crap out of it. Sitting up on a kitchen chair surrounded by a pile of monkey bars is a sure way to get there.
 Building a tank is a whole different experience, if ya haven't gone there ya just can't know. Everything else gets built & then ya hang a body on it. A tank is more like building a house in a cave. When I built mine, I had a new respect for those who had gone before me.
 Maybe we should put a "Tank" register together, seeing that we are such a screwed up.... I mean different bunch!
  Sid.

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »
Well I had a good amount of time to work on the car over the winter and I took full advantage of it. First on my list was to change the rear end mounting, my original design just wasn't up to par. The new design triangulates the rear and make it much stronger. With the rear mounted in its new home I finished up my final mounting brackets for the transmission. After 3 different transmission choices I finally decided on a three speed side shift, using a Clings adapter.

I also got the chance to fit the top half of the tank. When it was all said and done I ended up with 9.5 inches of cage sticking out the top of the tank. This should work perfect for making a fairing, and keeping it as low as possible. Once the tops half of the tank was mounted I decided to build a water/fuel tank. The water and fuel tanks will be two separate tanks but placed next to each other to make it look like one tank. I started with a insulation foam mold then build the final tank for 1/8" aluminum sheet. If my calculations are correct the water tank should hold 14 gallons and the fuel tank 3. This will put approx. 125lbs directly over the rear end.

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »
I am trying to post a few pictures but for some reason it is being extremely difficult.

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »
More

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »
Few more.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »
Hey
That's a good looking tank
Nice work
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 12:07:47 AM »
You're right Goggs, Ya see a few people that can take a tank & ugly the crap out of it. Sitting up on a kitchen chair surrounded by a pile of monkey bars is a sure way to get there.
 Building a tank is a whole different experience, if ya haven't gone there ya just can't know. Everything else gets built & then ya hang a body on it. A tank is more like building a house in a cave. When I built mine, I had a new respect for those who had gone before me.
 Maybe we should put a "Tank" register together, seeing that we are such a screwed up.... I mean different bunch!
  Sid.
Sitting up on a kitchen chair surrounded by a pile of monkey bars is a sure way to get there.

you're a genius Sid.

Hey Drat,nice tank .....aaaaaaand we do have a tanks only place....I have been a little negligent, but it's there...

http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=5a9a3d6d239bed2a50d8bdcb8565519a

you'll need to register for the DLRA forum to get access but it is for the people who get tanks and tank stuff. Like being a musician, then being a country musician,then having to explain to other country musicians what you're into....well us bellytank guys are into um..... well yeah we're into lakesters but really we're into BELLYTANKS :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.