Author Topic: Banger Belly Tank  (Read 18426 times)

Offline Fordrat31

Banger Belly Tank
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:28:50 AM »
Hello everyone, My name is Mike.

I figured it was about time I post some pictures of my build on here. I have been interested in pretty much anything that moves and makes alot of nosie since I was young. (still pretty young..22 years old) When I graduated college I got a great job, this left me with a little extra change in my pocket. So I decided to build myself a Lakester.

So over the past 6 or so months I have been building what you see here. I plan to run the car in the V4F class. I am not trying to be competive my first time out to the salt, If I got the car to do 100mph I would be very happy. My goal was to have it ready for this years speed week but I dont see that happening now. There is just so much more to do and not enough time.

Well here are a few pics of my current progress.
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline Fordrat31

Re: Banger Belly Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:33:20 AM »
I tried to post a few pics of my earlier progress but I must have had my camera set to take the wrong size pictures. It tells me the files are too large.  Anyway here are a few more of my current progress.
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:02:22 AM »
Great Mike. Keep us posted. What part of the planet are you on? Wayno

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:11:36 AM »
Cool project.

Mike, if you don't get it completed in time for Speed Week, it still might be a good idea to have it inspected at tech as is, at El Mirage or Bonneville, just to ensure that you are on the right track, assuming you are not too far from either.

What are your plans with the engine?

Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:16:50 AM »
I'm from Massachusetts. I will have quite the drive ahead of me when I finally get the car done!

The engine will be a 29 Model A block. Conterweighted crank, full pressure oil system, wico mag, big cam....

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:29:49 AM »
Excellent!  Real hot rods are flathead fours!!!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline CTRon

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:32:54 AM »
your front hoop on your roll cage looks way too straight up and down to be legal... it needs to be layed back at least 110 degrees. other than that it looks awesome! looks like the one me an my dad are building lol
maxton 2 club member 205.188mph  A/BFR
loring 2 club member 219.807mph  A/BFR
Wilmington 2 club member 202.702 A/BFR
bonneville 2 club member 225.003 XXF/BGRMR

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:44:40 AM »
your front hoop on your roll cage looks way too straight up and down to be legal... it needs to be layed back at least 110 degrees. other than that it looks awesome! looks like the one me an my dad are building lol

I met you at Hot Rod Steves LSR night in Jan. I have been talking with your father alot about our builds

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »
Ford: CTRon maybe a little off on that front bar being incorrect. In the past and still currently as far as I know as long as the bar mounts directly to the main frame rails as your looks to do the bar maybe more verticle. Shoulder mounted bars on a tube chassis have different specs than main frame chassis. You will be obvoiusly adding more front support bars to stiffen and support the front and keep your arms within the cage structure.

I would send pics to the SCTA Chief Inspector,Steve Davies for clarification. Looks good and Good Luck...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »
Ford: CTRon maybe a little off on that front bar being incorrect. In the past and still currently as far as I know as long as the bar mounts directly to the main frame rails as your looks to do the bar maybe more verticle. Shoulder mounted bars on a tube chassis have different specs than main frame chassis. You will be obvoiusly adding more front support bars to stiffen and support the front and keep your arms within the cage structure.

I would send pics to the SCTA Chief Inspector,Steve Davies for clarification. Looks good and Good Luck...

Its funny that you should bring that up. I have talked to Kiwi Steve about this issue a few times, and he told me that the front bar needs to be at 120 degrees or 30 degrees from vertical. I was curious as to why this was so I asked a few people on the HAMB for and explanation. One of the guys on the HAMB came and posted this same question here on this forum. It under Bonneville rules (roll bar angle) It seems as if this is a conflicting subject.

Offline hitz

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
Would someone please tell me where to find any reference in the rule book of an angle of the front roll bar tube?

Thank you.

harv
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:08:45 AM by hitz »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 12:56:01 AM »
 Good on you Mike, you go for it! Our sport needs new blood like you. We went through a period a few years ago where it looked like interest was falling off but it seems to have come alive again. Us ol farts still see the world through 22yr old eyes but our chassis are getting a little rusty. Sid.

Offline rambler jack

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 03:46:48 AM »
What kind of tank are you using ? It appears to be metal.
                          Jack
Temper is what gets most of us into trouble. Pride is what keeps us there
       SCTA GearGrinder

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 05:08:35 AM »
Would someone please tell me where to find any reference in the rule book of an angle of the front roll bar tube?

Thank you.

harv

In the SCTA rule book there is no mention.

What kind of tank are you using ? It appears to be metal.
                          Jack

To the best of my knowlage the tank is from from a Navy Hellcat. Its 13'6" long and 32" at its widest point.

Offline CTRon

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 07:34:13 AM »
yea its actually in the ecta rule book as 110 degrees. scta doesnt specify. go figure..
maxton 2 club member 205.188mph  A/BFR
loring 2 club member 219.807mph  A/BFR
Wilmington 2 club member 202.702 A/BFR
bonneville 2 club member 225.003 XXF/BGRMR