Author Topic: Driver's Fresh Air system?  (Read 7769 times)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Re: Driver's Fresh Air system?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »
Charles, where are you putting your intake scoop? I have seen NACA ducts on lexan windows but have seen nothing on vehicles with glass. How do they get fresh air?

Saltfever, One of the cars I have has glass all the way around.  The windshield wiper mechanism was removed and the air was ducted through the opening to the drivers’ compartment.   This would work on older body styles that had wipers protruding out the cowl top.  You also could make the intake a little more cleaner and less aero drag than the on my car.  On newer cars without a cowl, use the same concept and just pick up the air below the windshield.  Tony

Inside drivers compartment

I was informed the first time the Fairlane was inspected that all holes on the cowl and cowl vents on front engine cars needed to be blocked off in case of an engine fire.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »

I was informed the first time the Fairlane was inspected that all holes on the cowl and cowl vents on front engine cars needed to be blocked off in case of an engine fire.

That may be the case.  I never drove the car, but it did run at Elmo about three years ago (been running since 1969 on and off) and was owned by one of Kiwi Steve’s friends last and Steve did work on the car. I would imagine that he would have brought up that point.  Maybe Steve or JD can chime in.  Tony
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:52:06 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »
 I was thinking the same thing,, about those cowl ducts ,,,fire could come in that duct...but I guess a big enough fire could melt Lexan and get in thru the windshield too !! 

B'Ville,,,, My cockpit may not be 100% sealed,,, but it is more sealed than an original car..
As to Elmo,, That's a hike for me to go to as a Non Member for only one or two runs... If I lived closer I would try it out, and see how much dust or dirt got in the cabin.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 09:36:33 PM »
Charles, IN YOUR WILDEST DREAMS you won't be able to comprehend the amount of dust that migrates into EVERYTHING at ELMO.

Even at, "5 mph in pit area".

And Muroc, 20 miles away as the crow flies, it's even finer (and whiter).
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
Cajun I was just kidden about runnin El Mirage, and was hinting that EM dust gets into the smallest nooks and crannies no matter how great it is sealed.  We are still hunting for air leaks in our car, even after 20 years of running it. :-D

saltfever

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 04:21:04 AM »
I realize the car won't be sealed perfectly. But I have to agree with Charles if not for another reason. Without adequate venting the inside will be positive pressure. No telling how much. I'm concerned about blowing a door open or a window. Why do you think they require retaining straps on windshields! (I know it is for our "backwards" friends :wink: ) However, multiply only 1 psi by area and you will see the force involved. I don't want a door blowing partially open at any speed. I don’t mean suicide doors. Even a normal door exploding open will upset the car. Yes, that has happened to me. “Exploding” best describes the unexpected and instantaneous event. The door only moved open 2-3” before the prevailing wind prevent further opening. Essentially, equilibrium of pressure was reached and the door didn’t open further. It was still enough to make the car unstable and cause problems. There just has to be adequate venting to prevent positive pressure. Yes, I read the post about positive pressure keeping flames and fumes out of the cockpit. And it is a serious issue. However, positive overpressure is very dangerous. Maybe a focus on excellent sealing should be considered. I wish Dan or Lee would weigh in on this. How do we vent this thing if air flow is required?

Tony, many thanks for the pictures. The dash outlet makes a nice installation and you gave me a idea. I might check out those Experimental aircraft folks and get one of their cockpit variable flow outlets.
http://www.steinair.com/eyeballvents.htm

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 10:26:08 AM »
Growing up on Hawthorne Airport made my selection of an air inlet very easy. I remembered the canopy reversable (turnable) clear intake in my dad's old airplanes. I bought a pair of them for abouth $10 in 1976 and reccommended them to many competitors.

I remember when Doug brought the BMR coupe to El Mirage; he needed to put 2 oval holes in the windshield to put enough pressure into the car to keep out the dust. Going to Gas Coupe and putting on the running boards solved my coupe problems....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline hitz

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 11:51:26 AM »
I have to agree with Saltfever's thoughts on the venting of enclosed cars. I worried about the pressure or lack of it in the cockpit of my lakester since I started building it. The only way I could think of to find out what the pressure differential was between the inside and the outside was be to attach sensors and use data recording. The correct placement of the outside sensor would be difficult for me to pick.

I installed a 12v air pumper to my helmet that draws outside air from holes drilled in the body panel at shoulder height and 18" back of the seat. There is no scoop on the panel for obvious reasons. That should take care of my personal need for air and put a little pressure in the cockpit.  That being said I spun the tires a little on one run. I didn't feel it but I could smell it! This is a rear engine car and the rear axle is about 9 ft. back of the cockpit! I also smelled hot oil at the quarter on my seventh run. Anybody have any ideas on how the smell is working it's way forward? I was only running about 150 mph tops but can't imagine what kind of air current was bringing the smells forward.

harv

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
Tony and all, when I inspected I allowed the stock air intakes for the interior thru the ones infront of the windshield. I have not been to the last 2 inspectors meetings or hearing they need to be blocked off. I only did a few inspection at the October World Finals last year to help out.

As for an engine fire; to me if you hood has a good seal there should be no problem. If it does not you will smell it almost immediately and it should be fixed. IMO If you blow and engine and buckle the hood that much ANY forward facing intake past the hood line will be letting in smoke or fire.

Steve D. should be the one contacted and at Bonneville he, or any Chief inspector, is always available when a contraversy comes up. Steve Batchelor was an "artist"  at it....good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro