Author Topic: How many people scale there cars?  (Read 4941 times)

Offline DSR88

How many people scale there cars?
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:45:49 AM »
For those of you that scale there car, I am just wondering what would be a good front to rear % number ? Like a stock body car or an alt or comp coupe exc. This would be a Bonneville or El Mirage question.

Offline krusty

Re: How many people scale there cars?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 11:00:16 AM »
We race a rear-engined modified roadster at 3400#,currently 60% rear, 40% front with fuel and driver. The first thing we do at the Salt is put the car on the scales with the driver and check corner weights  and ride heights (compare to set up in shop) after the 2200 miles "shakeout" trip from NCarolina. This also allows us to zero the shock pots for the data system. Some people look at us like we're nuts, but we've been doing racecars - road racing and oval track - this way for so long that I'd feel like I cheated the checklist if we didn't do it on the Salt. I have heard that shorter wheelbase cars like you mention want closer to 50/50, but you need to balance adding downforce and drag vs grip at the rear wheels. Trevor Harris once told me to exhaust all avenues of balancing a car mechanically first, then apply aerodynamic aids once you were out of mechanical solutions. I've followed this for the last 20+ years. I would start out at 55rear/45 front and rebalance as handling dictated; I hope that others here with more experience with your class vehicle will provide more proven solutions.      vic

Offline DSR88

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
Very good info,I was out in the shop scaling my open wheel modified and though did would be a good question. We run a comp coupe and we did scale our car on the salt in aug only because we ran out of time at the shop but you bring up a good point about doing it every time to to towing.That will go on our ck list now. Maybe we will get some more input on this.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »
What is your current % and are you spinning your tires in high gear currently?

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:56:43 AM »
I don’t know why more people don’t scale there cars on the salt for  the exact reasons that Krusty mentioned.

Trevor Harris once told me to exhaust all avenues of balancing a car mechanically first, then apply aerodynamic aids once you were out of mechanical solutions. I've followed this for the last 20+ years.

Its like deja vu Trevor Harris recently told me the same thing.  He is consulting on our chassis, and those are some words of wisdom from one of the iconic chassis designers in racing. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline DSR88

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:16:53 PM »
Hey Troy, Not have a problem in high gear,Just kinda looking the lower gears.I really was just wondering what other people were doing lust to come up with some sort of baseline. I think that is a good way to keep up with you car. Just think I you run your car for a couple of years and you have a suspension part froze up you would see it on scales.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 12:22:58 PM »
We have some slippage in 1st and 2nd gear, 3rd and 4th is not a problem.  Once we put taller gears in we shouldn't have as much slipping in the lower gears.  We are 65% rear, and DO NOT SPIN OUR TIRES IN HIGH GEAR.  :-D. Good luck this year. :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »
We have some slippage in 1st and 2nd gear, 3rd and 4th is not a problem.  Once we put taller gears in we shouldn't have as much slipping in the lower gears.  We are 65% rear, and DO NOT SPIN OUR TIRES IN HIGH GEAR.  :-D. Good luck this year. :cheers:

Or 3rd gear :-D

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:06:19 PM »
I run a rear eng Lakester that is set up mor like a rear eng roadster--I run 1/3   F 2/3 R  with a SWAG slight bias on the RR and LF to offset eng and Drive line tq.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:23:05 PM »
Yes we scale the cars too.

The Vicky is 50/50  empty,,, add me and 8 gallons of gas and it's  52% Rear...48% front.

We plan on the Stude to be very close to that balance as a starting point.  With the longer wheelbase,, may put 1 to 2 % more out back if need a bit more traction.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline DSR88

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 06:26:42 PM »
I was wondering if any one aloud for enging TQ. Do you think that a spolier or a wing would over come that at high speed? That is a good point.

Offline DSR88

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 06:41:27 PM »
A stude was the first car I ran on the salt as a c/gc, I had a great idea take all the ballest out and I could pick up the four mph I need to hit the 200mph mark.Not knowing any better that is how I got into the spin-out club!!!!!!Triped the 3 mile light with the back bumber @186. At that time I didn't even know what scales were. Good luck with your new car.Stude's are cool.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 10:30:45 PM »
My front drive streamliner is a static 90/10 , at speed 90/20 .

saltfever

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 10:53:38 PM »
 :? . . . 90/20 is more than 100%.  Not sure I follow your thinking, John. . Are you adding downforce? And how are you applying it to the rear and not the front?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 11:33:44 PM »
He's looking for vehicles such as stock bodies cars, altered or Comp Coupes.  What salt fever you never gave 110% before? :-D :-D :-D