Author Topic: Touring body in a roadster class  (Read 8140 times)

Offline 26-t

• New folks
Touring body in a roadster class
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »
Is a 1926 touring body legal in a mod roadster class (SCTA)? Thanks 26-t
Salt is in my blood and dry lake dust in my eyes.

Offline desotoman

Re: Touring body in a roadster class
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:07:48 PM »
Roadsters only.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:48:33 PM »
I asked Dan this question a few months ago about roadster pickups and I believe touring cars and at that time Dan said they were OK. Which was my belief at the time.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:00:02 PM »
The question was can it run in modified roadster.  I don't think so as there is no advantage to the body style but I could be wrong.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »
A '31 Touring with a solid tonneau would be a killer.  In Street Roadster you could set the driver back and have a built-in spoiler.  The world's most raced roadster (Fritz') was a roadster pickup, as was the North of 49(?) Canadian car.  No real advantage there -- probably less cabin space than a regular roadster.  But the "31 Touring -- wow -- now that could be something.  But I don't think it's included in the roadster nomenclature.

Stand Back!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline mkilger

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:31:44 PM »
a 27  still has a roadster cowl, right?  would call Russ on this one. are you building a rear engine car?

Offline 26-t

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »
Yes on the rear engine.  Yes on the roadster cowl, The advantage is I have a 26 touring body ,that is why I ask,no other reason. Thanks 26-t
Salt is in my blood and dry lake dust in my eyes.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 01:57:21 AM »
Guys I am confused. Is a 26 T Touring the same as a Phaeton? If not what is the difference? Also when it says Roadster in the rule book wouldn't that mean a single seat door car. If not where do you draw the line? A Roadster PU still only has one seat, but a Touring or Phaeton has two or more which in my opinion would not make them legal. I know some Roadsters had rumble seats but they really were not for everyday use.

Tom G. 

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:47:43 AM »
Everything you say is true. But then what about the coupe classes? After 1949 a true coupe would be illegal. You got to have a back seat. What kind of coupe is that?  If the rules can play that loose with the word "Coupe" why not "Roadster" Somebody should really check with Russ and get back to the list. Not me, I already ask to many dumb questions,

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 11:30:26 AM »
Luckily with the Roadsters you only have to deal with the years between 1923-1938. I looked in the Rule book for a definition of a Roadster and under definitions there was not one. So I went to the dictionary to see what it says about a Roadster.

Merriam-Webster says : an automobile with an open body that seats two and has a folding fabric top and often a luggage compartment or rumble seat in the rear.

Dictionary.com says : an early automobile having an open body, a single seat for two or three persons, and a large trunk or a rumble seat.

With this information, I would say anything that has more than one seat would be illegal for the Roadster class. Also in my opinion if the factory did not label it as a Roadster, and labeled it as a Touring it should be illegal in the roadster class.

This is just my opinion, on trying to interpret the rule book.

Tom G.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 12:46:27 PM »
I think you're right, Tom.  If it ain't even called a Roadster, it ain't a Roadster.  Some cut-off coupes have been allowed to compete, but only after they were modified to meet Roadster-related dimensions.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
Oh NO! Is there now going to be an attempt to have a "Touring" Class?

Stan, I like your idea about a '31.

Tom

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »
Then I want a Ca brolet class. And looking at my 1930 Branham Automobile Reference Book An Insurance guide covering the years '23 to '30 for American and imported cars and trucks there were also Touring, Phaetons, Speedsters. More classes. And did you know that the 1923 Apperson Bros had a V8 that in the picture may well be an OHV of 3 1/4 bore and 5 inch stroke. Made in Kokomo. List price $2,800 to 3,750. Shipping weight 4,500 pounds.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »
Doesn't a roadster have to have side curtains? Otherwise it's a convertible.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »
Roadsters do not have roll up side windows... Convertables and Cabriolets do,,,, Roadsters do not have fixed
"A" Pillars,,,, they have windshield posts or stantions ?

Just my take on it,,,

I think officialu Fords last full year of production for Roadsters was 1936,,, 1937 shows a few made.. all laters where convertables or cabriolets....

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com