Author Topic: Transport Issues  (Read 12907 times)

Offline Black Rose Racing

Transport Issues
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
  I've spoken with a few LSR racers and read here,that after towing to a venue a few folks have opened the trailer only to find the car had been damaged in transit (specifically broken or cracked frames)
  I'd like to know if any one has had this experience and what you do now to guard against transit damage. Thanks

Offline hotschue

Re: Transport Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:14:07 PM »
Find an old air bag  (Airlift, other,truck store etc.) Place under oil pan or frame low air pressure will take shock out of the chassis.  Cost me two front axles before I figured it out.

Udo
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:23:08 PM »
In the want ads section of National Dragster they are listed.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Burk

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
My dragster trailer had a block of wood bolted to the floor that the oil pan rested on for zero chassis flex on the road .

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »
Just curious, wouldn't regular air mattresses (twin) work the same?  Would come in handy for sleeping at the Bend as well.....just wondering.

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Black Rose Racing

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 01:39:08 PM »
Lynda,
 If you know where I can find an Air mattress that can support a 5150 lb car please pass the info along.

And yes we have some very heavy set crew members. They could wipe off the oil, and cuddle up on it at the Bend. Thanks for the Idea, though the crew probably won't be too excited about it.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »
I am so confussed....

I have trailered, street cars, show cars and race cars and have never had a problem or damage ( I guess I have been lucky)

How in the world can trailering a car break the chassis or axle ? Please explain ?

I have to tow to Maine and Utah  this year... I sure need to understand what you guys are talking about ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 12:08:20 AM »
Chassic flex harmonics--work hardens the the flex point
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 01:15:57 AM »
Charles, it's probable something you won't have to worry about. A lot of the lighter or more flexible frames get beat pretty badly when being towed in a stiffly sprung trailer. Usually cars of that type are blocked in some way and then tied down so the blocks support the car. It's not generally done with stock cars and that's what your cars more closely resemble.

Pete

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 01:28:43 AM »
Charles,

I have never had any problems either. I think they are talking about ridged frame cars with out suspension.

I have a front engine dragster that is ridged, so with that i have special blocks of wood with rubber that I sandwich between the floor and the rear motor mount plate, and the floor and the front motor mounts. Then I run a strap over the motor from side to side and tie it down so it cannot move. Never had any problems with the frame transporting it like that.

I can see where a ridged frame that is oh too light, with the chassis supporting extra weight, could flex enough to break if only held in place by tire straps. To much weight gets bouncing up and down while towing, and stresses the frame.

Some common sense goes along way when transporting vehicles.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 04:26:50 PM »
Dragsters, don't know about Funny Cars, will generally use a ballon or some other method to reduce chassis flex. The long wheelbase between the front of the driver's foot box and the front axle contribute to the flex.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 04:38:16 PM »
Those of us who live in California know to take it easy until we reach the state line then the roads no longer resemble a third world country.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »
On my last cars we used a scissor jack with a padded cradle for the frame rails to set on, Also put inner tubes over the front tires to prevent any chafing while in transit. Never towed with the rear race tires on the car, used rollers.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »
Those of us who live in California know to take it easy until we reach the state line then the roads no longer resemble a third world country.

Brian,

You are sooooooo right.

Tom G.   
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 09:37:12 PM »
Speaking purely from a drag racing perspective the problem always seemed more severe in dragster type vehicles were I have primarily raced doorcar it wasn't much of a problem. That being said struts and hardware will wear prematurely by the movements of transport ,but it seem more so with 3-4 weekend a month match race schedule.( struts and shock wear out after a couple of seasons vs 3-4 seasons)