Author Topic: sidecar wheel  (Read 5396 times)

Offline debgeo

sidecar wheel
« on: March 02, 2010, 02:08:55 PM »
I am working on designing my sidecar. Can someone guide me towards what wheels and tires are being used on outboard wheel. I have searched on here but cannot seem to find definitive answer. I have looked at pictures and see smaller wheels being used. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS in advance for your advice  GEORGE :? :? :? :?
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline peglegcraig

Re: sidecar wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
You do have choices to be sure. The first question is how fast do you plan to go, and you must be honest with this as it affects many things, not the least of which is $ spent. Read the rulebook for your club and or meeting. Then you can start shopping around the web for the tire(s) that will fit your intended use. I currently run a Michelin Pilot on my outfit.

"Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

Offline debgeo

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »
Thanks for your response. I am going to run lower classes 250cc or 350cc to start. Where I am lost is on sidecar wheel. I will be running pilots on bike front and rear. Thay are on order as we speak. What I am trying to find out is what small diameter wheels and tires they run on sidecar.Looking at pictures it looks like they are running wheels in the 8 to12 inch diameter. I am looking for the lower profile. I think your sidecar is fantastic. Looks like alot of time and thought went in to it. As far as cost I am an old round track racer so I have Ideas on cost. You figure out what you think is will cost and triple it. Thats before you get to track. Again Thanks for your input and if you could help guide me to small tire that woulds be a plus GEOREGE

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 07:33:19 PM »
george----sheri and i run yamaha seca rims and goodyear dragster tires --22 X 2.5 X 17 --on the sidecar---------they are easy to find and good to 300 mph-----they are tall and thin if you want something short you will only find gocart tires ---there a couple of sidecars that run them one has ran 122 mph (maybe he will post here and give you more info ) --there are some old dragster tires and rims that are a 5 in rim ---the tires are goodyear eagles and are 5.00 X 5  they are about 4 1/2 in wide and 13 in tall---you will find them used only look closely before you buy----sometimes on e-bay----if you are going to race at bonneville only you can run an all aluminum wheel but will have to get it pre approved ( see rule book there are some small aircraft tires also ---i was told last year that they wernt going to be allowed any more but i didnt see anything in the new rulebook---you will also have to get they pre approved (GOOD LUCK with that )---thats about all i know---good luck with your build ---you could post some pics.   willie buchta

your tire rating will have to be for the record in your class
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:35:03 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:40:22 PM »
george----sheri and i run yamaha seca rims and goodyear dragster tires --22 X 2.5 X 17 --on the sidecar---------they are easy to find and good to 300 mph-----they are tall and thin if you want something short you will only find gocart tires ---there a couple of sidecars that run them one has ran 122 mph (maybe he will post here and give you more info ) --there are some old dragster tires and rims that are a 5 in rim ---the tires are goodyear eagles and are 5.00 X 5  they are about 4 1/2 in wide and 13 in tall---you will find them used only look closely before you buy----sometimes on e-bay----if you are going to race at bonneville only you can run an all aluminum wheel but will have to get it pre approved ( see rule book there are some small aircraft tires also ---i was told last year that they wernt going to be allowed any more but i didnt see anything in the new rulebook---you will also have to get they pre approved (GOOD LUCK with that )---thats about all i know---good luck with your build ---you could post some pics.   willie buchta

your tire rating will have to be for the record in your class

Willies said it all in one line... :cheers:

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:02:34 PM »
Hi George.   I run a 5" wheel on my sidecar.  I was trying for a small frontal area and figured that was a small as I could get within the rules.  I'm using a Bridgestone HJC 4.5/10.0-5.   Its CIK certified and has been OK'ed for 130.  If you're not planning to over 130 you should be OK.  If you want to run 10" wheels on the bike, good luck.  So far all I've been able to find is a Yokama A008 H rated.  Dave Minder also runs a 5" kart wheel on his 350 Yamaha.

This is the only photo I could find without the wheel fairing.

By weslake at 2009-11-28

And this is it with the fairing.  (photo thanks to Sheri Buchta)

By weslake at 2009-12-03
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:57:34 AM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
bill  cant find that tire             HELP                       willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline debgeo

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:35:46 PM »
Need a little more help and yes I have read rule book. I cannot seem to lock down the body rules for sidecar. Could people with experience guide me to section in rule book that pertains to sidecar. Again Thanks    George

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »
george  there are no body rule---you dont need a body just a platform  12 X 32--remember that there is no partially streamlined class so you can do as much streamlining as you want as long as your exit isnt restricted --the sidecar tire has to meet the speed rating for the record in your class ---if its below 130 mph that would be H or a tire like bill runs---if you have any problems give me a call   209 6816876 willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline debgeo

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
Thanks all for the help. It is really appreciated.