Author Topic: ERW steel  (Read 2507 times)

Offline biglady112

ERW steel
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
There is nothing in the rule book that states this is illegal to use in SCTA. Some of the tubing I purchased ended up being falsely advertised as DOM tubing. Well now that the cage is done I am finding this out.

The only thing the rule book seems to frown upon is lap-welded tubing. And by all my searches, ERW tubing does not fit this description. Anyone have any insight to this?
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline willieworld

Re: ERW steel
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
erw tubing  is fine --the only thing you have to watch is wall thickness--the rule book says .120 nominal and thats what erw will be ---.120 can be as thin as .110  but ive never seen it thinner than .113--but thats still legal because of "nominal"  ---measure the wall thickness with a set of calipers or send me a small piece and i will sonic check it for you                     willie buchta

i went through your build diary pics and see erw in your roll cage pics---erw will be shiny with a blue stripe the length of the tube and will come in 20 foot lengths---dom wont have a weld seam and comes in random lengths---there was a tube in your car marked 1 3/4  X .120 X 22 ft  should be dom---its hard to tell from the pics but your cage tube looks like 1 5/8 to me but its hard to tell from the pics      willie buchta
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:49:50 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline biglady112

Re: ERW steel
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:24:23 PM »
The rest of the tubing is 1 5/8x.134. It meets the requirement for diameter but exceeds for thickness. Thanks willie, that is a huge load off. I have a ton of hours into this thing and did not want to have to rip it out. I was misled. I was told I had all DOM and never thought to look. I was just cutting and grinding as fast as I could. My fault, but hostly did not think twice about it.
1947 Dodge Pickup