Author Topic: Roll bar angle:  (Read 28652 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Roll bar angle:
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »
Tom,
Show me how you are going to design the perfect roll structure that is going to bend and adsorb energy right up to the time your head is next?  What are you going to use as a load? load direction? etc. My preference is to design a cage that distributes the load through out the structure and is not designed to fail. Present day Indy and F1 cars are designed to come apart in a crash, and as they shed their parts they are adsorbing energy but the actual drivers "capsule" is extremely rigid and strong to protect the drivers. As Gwillard said they have to worry about other cars, trees, retaining walls etc we don't but we do need a car with a roll structure that will hold up when you are doing a "pencil roll" at 300 MPH. I don't believe this is the place for a cage that is supposed to adsorb the crash energy by folding up.

Rex

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »
   The pencil roll phenomena seems to cause people the most worry.

But because of the "iffy" aero designs of particularly Competition Coupes and Modified Roadsters the likelyhood of those vehicles getting airborne and "kiting" and coming to earth who knows where or how, yrs truly is not sure that there can ever be a simple design that can accomodate all the contingencies.

Maybe the timing stands and outhouses should be strengthend.

Go for overkill
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2010, 02:56:00 AM »
In LSR we shouldn't have to worry about impacting anything (high G forces). Guardrails, Trees, big rocks other cars, ect.. Mainly worry about rolling and sliding on your roof if you have one. Your cage should be strong enough to support the weight of the car and keep the driver secure inside. Roadsters have to have bars that can withstand the extra stress of sliding friction from the track surface directly on the bars themselves. Sheet metal roofs slide nicely I've had that experience.

Don't underestimate the damage that can be sustained from impacting the ground during a flip or roll.

ours is tending to the overkill,

I couldn't find a protractor but the front hoop looks to be about 120 degrees, we just built it that way.....I was particularly concerned about the prospect of being hit by a meteorite( yes a large one) or maybe a D9 that had fallen from space.....we plated the front in figuring that if the front end all came apart that the tie rods and radius rods would be dangerous items. The firewall is 5mm, the floor forward of there is two thicknesses of it and the sides are 3mm, the top of the cage has( not completed here) a 5mm cap over the top from the two bars like a sprint car.

We also built the floor like a canoe because of the "digging in" issue.....either way up we figure it'll slide.......

Three years ago when we ran at Mangalore airport someone made the joke.."yeah, you wouldn't want to be hit by one of the little planes"...."On the contrary" I said, " If one of those hit this thing they'd be totaled, it's made like a sub".......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Tman

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2011, 03:30:58 PM »
Using the search pays off. I dug up this thread yesterday, went home and started laying upright and diagonals out and slept on it. Then came back today and realize Tonys cage design solves several of the issues I ran into last night. Thanks gents :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »
Went back and reread also, comfirms my decisions to put in another tube to make a triangle out of a box!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2011, 10:10:20 PM »
Went back and reread also, comfirms my decisions to put in another tube to make a triangle out of a box!!

Yeah, this resource of info is great. With anything online, you gotta read between the lines, pay attention to the players and take it with a grain of salt. Have a hard time understanding some folks aversion to this after spending 10+ years learning and meeting pals online/and in person in the hot rod world.