Author Topic: Event gas rule question  (Read 5868 times)

Offline Johntsi

Event gas rule question
« on: February 20, 2010, 08:32:33 AM »
For gas classes it says to run event gas.  He does not carry the gas I run but IIRC he said if you bring it in the manufactures's sealed container you pay him a $25 fee and we will cert it and pour it in.  Is that correct? 

Thanks
John

Offline RansomT

Re: Event gas rule question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:14:13 AM »
For gas classes it says to run event gas.  He does not carry the gas I run but IIRC he said if you bring it in the manufactures's sealed container you pay him a $25 fee and we will cert it and pour it in.  Is that correct? 

Thanks
John

I do believe it is $20.  What are you running?  Most of the fuel (gas) that I get locally he doesn't have.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:57:24 AM »
Anyone know offhand what the brand/specs are for the gas class fuel sold at the track?  I am hoping to get my engine back together in the next few weeks and want to tune on something close.  I am hoping, that on my carburated bike, that 100 octane unleaded from the local drag strip will be a close enough match.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 12:12:33 PM »
Johnsti, taking your own fuel to the track as you mentioned - sealed manufacturer's container, etc -- may not be allowed.  That is the concept of event gas is to have everyone running the same basic fuel (of the various choices available).  If you take a can of Super-Duper Nutec Special XXX with 30% oxygen and 5% nitro -- but in the manufacturer's brand new jug -- you'll be running a fuel that is not similar to the stuff you could buy there.

If you show up with a VP fuel, for instance, that has an equivalent in the Rocket (or whatever brand they use at the event you attend) -- then yes, your system will be approvable.

Compredez-vous?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 12:15:12 PM »
Fuel is VP Import.

I know it has been done on cars at Maxton befor.

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 01:15:51 PM »
No one else has any idea?  It is going to make the difference in what injectors I can run in the car.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »
I will offer an opinion.  ECTA may actually not agree.

VP import fuel is oxygenated.  I think an oxygen enhanced fuel will not be allowed.
By VP tech Bulletin they state that with Import fuel, you will make 5% more power than C16.
If everyone runs C16, there is a level playing field.
Do yourself and your competetors a favor and use C16.
Oxygenated gasoline should run in "FUEL" class.
Now I've been called a hard a$$ relative to rules, but the C16 is comparable to the ERC turbo fuel supplied at Bonneville and since ECTA rules pretty much mirror SCTA, I'll bet a 6 pack of Labbats that you need to run C16. 

Communicate with Joe or Keith for something more than an opinion.

Rick

Offline RansomT

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 01:42:36 PM »
No one else has any idea?  It is going to make the difference in what injectors I can run in the car.

I have run different VP motorcycle fuels at Maxton without any issues.  Just paid the man $20.  When I ran my blown Taurus in classes requiring "gas", I just ran the event 101 unleaded ... but I can tell you that I had to change the tune a lot.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »
I will offer an opinion.  ECTA may actually not agree.

VP import fuel is oxygenated.  I think an oxygen enhanced fuel will not be allowed.
By VP tech Bulletin they state that with Import fuel, you will make 5% more power than C16.
If everyone runs C16, there is a level playing field.
Do yourself and your competetors a favor and use C16.
Oxygenated gasoline should run in "FUEL" class.
Now I've been called a hard a$$ relative to rules, but the C16 is comparable to the ERC turbo fuel supplied at Bonneville and since ECTA rules pretty much mirror SCTA, I'll bet a 6 pack of Labbats that you need to run C16. 

That's interesting that you say this ... at WOS '08, I asked the ERC fuel folks about the unleaded we using in Production Class and they told me it was 2.7% Oxygenated.  Since the car was tuned with 92 Pump, I added 3% to the fuel curve and it was dead on...

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 06:29:15 PM »
he said if you bring it in the manufactures's sealed container you pay him a $25 fee and we will cert it

How does he certify it? Just being the devil's advocate here, but the only level playing field is event gas. Anything else, including this, is an advantage for someone.

I have run everything possible through a motor, including all of the stuff that is banned. (Think oil of wintergreen with menthanol. I'll bet you never tried it.)
Who says cheaters never prosper. :-o

Fuel info here:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2308.0.html

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline bak189

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »
Back in the way early 1950's I ran my 125c.c. Royal Enfield bike on Vodka with a small mix of lubricating two-stroke oil...........Hey, it ran fairly well.............
Question authority.....always

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »
johnsti,
After having to buy 112 or 114 octane event gas to run a 50cc 2 stroke bike that was setup with 127 pounds of static compression and dialed in on 89 octane pump gas from the local Marathon station we now bring our own sealed cans for him to dispense from for a $20.00 fee. We could not burn the event gas and ran 62 miles per hour on a bike that would run slightly over 70 mph at home which is 985 ft above sea level. He said he normally had 101 oxygenated octane but was out of it or forgot to bring it. I keep several kinds of VP on hand and will always bring my own sealed container that matches my application.
Now I will confess that if my rider (son) did not weigh 250 lbs in leathers we could have done better but he is the one that ran over 70 against our radar gun many passes at home. Dahmurf too one look at him and offered to ride the bike.......wonder why? Moral, bring what you need.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 09:37:01 AM »
he said if you bring it in the manufactures's sealed container you pay him a $25 fee and we will cert it

How does he certify it?

From my understanding, it has to be a "non-exotic" fuel that is readily purchasable from a national company in a factory sealed container.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »
There is no perfect situation to please all drivers/riders and no way for the fuel vendor to bring every possible variety of fuel for every motors liking.

I would say for "Gas Class".. we just all buy the gas from the on site vendor.

The vendor should have at least 4 to 5 choices of event gas.

1 or 2  choices of lower octane unleaded gas (like 100 or 101) with and without o2 ?
and 2 or 3 Choices of leaded race gas 104, 110, 116  etc...

I know many cars/bikes that Drive in to race ask the question... "How do we drain the tank"

Do as Joe T says,,, plan ahead,,, so as to arrive at the track with as little as possible in the tank,,, buy your race fuel from our vendor,,,, and run... if you set a record and there is a gas protest,,, we will check the fuel,,,,

If all you had in the tank when you arrived was pump gas,,, and then added vendor gas to it,,, you "should be legal"   if your tank had "a special secret in it" then oh well you may be illegal..

It is easy to comply with the rules...all of us using what the vendor has is a level field,,, I am not a fan of bringing "sealed cans of gas"... because it is differant than the "event gas"

But heck,,, I am not going worry about what others do... we all have trust and integrity and the ECTA and it's all for fun,,, oh yeah,,, some bragging.  LOL

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 04:11:15 PM »
$20 to wave a wand over your supplied fuel...... sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me!.... the dude makes a $4 a gallon profit and does nothing for it.....
kent