Author Topic: Mojave Mile Update  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Mike Borders

Mojave Mile Update
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:52:28 PM »
Things are coming together nicely, and we are just 2 short weeks away!  I had the great pleasure to meet with the Sidewinders group last month, and am looking forward to seeing many of you come out to support our first event, both as volunteers and as racers.  With the assistance of Lee Kennedy, we have developed a supplement to our rules for Land Speed racers, permitting them to tech and run under LSR provisions.  Since our rules were primarily focused on more conventional cars and bikes, and didn't mesh well with LSR rules, hopefully, these adjustments will attract more of you who (quite understandably!) could not easily be classified otherwise.  This rules supplement is posted on the mojavemile.com website if you haven't had a chance to see it yet. 

We are now also permitting the use of recovery support vehicles for racers who wish to return to the Paddock without having to drive your vehicle back.

All of our procedures with the Airport and racer movement are ironed out, our timing equipment is ready to go, the food caterer is lined up (Domingo's), and we are looking forward to a fun and exciting first event, one of many we hope to run over the years to come.  We are already making plans for our next event in the fall, which will be a 2-day event.  For the fall event and beyond, we plan to reach out to the other Mile Shootout venues in the country to attempt to standardize classes and class records across the country to encourage participation everywhere for this exciting form of racing.

There are still Grid slots left!  Please contact us at 702-614-6108 if you have any questions.

Regards,
Mike Borders
General Manager, MKM Racing MPromotions

Offline desotoman

Re: Mojave Mile Update
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
Hi Mike,

At one time I read you did not want spectators. Is this still the case? I was at the Sidewinders meeting on Tuesday night and they said I was wrong and spectators are now welcome. Could you please clarify this for me.

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »
Tom,

Essentially, only people and their teams who are racing will gain access to the Paddock by signing the insurance waiver and aquiring a wristband.  However, Sidewinders, experienced racers, and knowledgable land-speed folks who are not part of a team entry and who know their way around a Paddock will be given access upon request after presenting themselves at Registration and signing in.  If you (or anyone in the Land Speed community reading this) would like to enter the Paddock but are not racing, contact us in advance and we will put you on an access list for when you arrive and check in.

What we are trying to avoid in the Paddock is an atmosphere where casual observers, kids, "lookie-loos," and other non-racers create unnecessary hazards.  For them, there are plenty of other places on the airport property from which they can observe the runs.

Or, if you want to volunteer as a marshall, we will feed you and give you a T-shirt!  :-D

Mike B

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:23:33 PM »
"kids, "lookie-loos," and other non-racers"

Wow, I'm speechless. (not really, but . . . )

I was a non-racer and lookie-loo (guess you mean photogrpaher?) looooooooonnnng before I became a participant.  (It isn't really a race, is it?)

What I hear is this: you don't want anyone around that might help promote the event, or come back and participate.

Thanks for the heads -up!
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »
"kids, "lookie-loos," and other non-racers"

Wow, I'm speechless. (not really, but . . . )

I was a non-racer and lookie-loo (guess you mean photogrpaher?) looooooooonnnng before I became a participant.  (It isn't really a race, is it?)

What I hear is this: you don't want anyone around that might help promote the event, or come back and participate.

Thanks for the heads -up!

David,

Of course what you said is not true.  As we evolve the event, we will be able to develop spectator viewing areas, and in our future 2-day events, there will (and should) certainly be time for periods of "open paddock" where spectators of all types may meet and interact with the racers.  For this 1-day event, with us trying to be able to complete around 400 runs in a day, you can hopefully appreciate that our paddock has to be pretty no-nonsense.  Would you want families with small children, perhaps pets, skateboards, etc., in the paddock when you are trying to grid?  Since this is our first time at Mojave we also want to be sure that our fledgling relationship with the Airport grows in a positive way, and they need to be sure we are capable of executing a safe event.  I hope you can appreciate the delicate balance we have to strike  here until we go to the 2-day format.

We are issuing media credentials as well to media members coming to cover the MM.

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 03:26:16 PM »
"Of course what you said is not true." Really?

We aren't on the same page, and it doesn't seem productive to discuss this in public.

DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline deucemac

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 01:30:08 AM »
"Of course what you said is not true." Really?

We aren't on the same page, and it doesn't seem productive to discuss this in public.

I'm with you. One thing that has always been a welcome "trademark" of El mirage and Bonneville was the ability of spectators to "Looky-Loo" in the pits, at the starting ling and wander through the staging lanes sometimes asking questions and always observing what was going on.  I've been going to B'ville and E/M for many years and often take friend that have never experienced the show.  All were impressed with the friendliness and candor of any racer that they spoke to.  My church Bot Scout troop goes every year in November to E/M and the boys are thrilled because they feel part of the action even though they aren't part of any crew.  Preventing people from doing the same at Mojave won't promote it but rather detract from it.  I was planning to go there since i only live a short distance away.  I was invited to use my roadster to push a Fiat altered at the Bakersfield March meet but hesitated to do so.  I might just reconsider. Oh, and by the way you Mojave folks, they allow spectators in the pits, walking the staging lanes, and in general all over wherever there is cars and action. It might behoove you to take a look at how the AAA and the SCTA run their successful events and still allow the people freedom to become absorbed in excitement of the event.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 01:44:44 AM »
I don't get it? He replied back with a respectable answer saying they are trying a new event and they want to sow the airport they can run an event so they can have future events where they will allow spectators.

Sounds like they are going about it the smart way and taking baby steps to learn how things at Mojave works so hopefully in the future they can provide us racers with a premiere two day event.

Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:35:55 AM by isiahstites »

Offline entropy

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 02:14:58 AM »
I don't get it? He replied back with a respectable anwser saying they are trying a new event and they want to show the airport they can run an event so they can have future events where they will allow spectators.

Sound like they are going about the smart way and taking baby steps to learn how things at Mojave works so hopefully in the future they can provide us racers with a premiere two day event.

Am I missing something?

+10
As a participant, i generally like people wandering up and asking questions, but i LOVE Mike Border's careful planning of his 1st LSR event. :cheers:

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 12:08:25 PM »
I don't get it? He replied back with a respectable anwser saying they are trying a new event and they want to show the airport they can run an event so they can have future events where they will allow spectators.

Sound like they are going about the smart way and taking baby steps to learn how things at Mojave works so hopefully in the future they can provide us racers with a premiere two day event.

Am I missing something?

+10
As a participant, i generally like people wandering up and asking questions, but i LOVE Mike Border's careful planning of his 1st LSR event. :cheers:

I agree whole heartedly.
He said there will be places for viewing, just not open access to the pits until they have a handle on the safety end of things.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »
Once again, where is this being held? I guess if that's a big enough secret, you won't have to worry about "looky loos".  :-D Wayno
Never mind. Found it. Wayno
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:25:39 PM by Elmo Rodge »