Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 1818 times)

King Nine

Getting Started
« on: July 10, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »
Hello out there.

Hope I'm in the right forum for these general questions.  Here goes.

I would like to compete for the first time at the up coming speed week in August at Bonneville.  I would like to enter my bone stock Road King in the Production Bike class. Is there time to enter/register and prepare the bike?

If so - Has anyone out there entered a stock Road King? If so - what is involved in terms of preparing the bike and making myself legal(for competition at Bonneville)as I rider.

Thanks in advance!

King Nine

Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »
first and foremost... you need a rule book. They can be ordered from the SCTA website.

The next thing would be race prepping it to SCTA specs. Safety wiring, cut off switches and the like.

Time to do it? depends on how much spare time you have.Prepping a Production bike isnt terribly involved, but it does take effort.  

Next thing would be riding gear... you will need to meet the new "All COW, NO PERF" leather requirements (see the thread about Motorcycle Leathers elsewhere on this site to read up on the issues).

Finally, if you are looking at setting records, ya need to look up the current record and see if you would be close. If yer just going out to race, and not worried about breaking a records... no worries. but to start... what displacement is the bike?

Might I make a suggestion?

Come out to the Bub's event and run your bike in the "Run What ya Brung" class. Its less involved to prep the bike, and will cost less.