Author Topic: Newbie with questions -see you in July  (Read 2367 times)

Offline cafeswartz

• New folks
Newbie with questions -see you in July
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:47:57 PM »

Hi All ; just bought a car - stock 1964 Pontiac Wagon .Do I need a locking diff/posi for this type of racing? Is there any advantage to gutting the interior and otherwise trying to lighten the car? Do I understand correctly that unless a record is broken, an engine inspection or teardown isn't done?  The car will be lowered and a production size engine  installed and thats about it, so it's production class right? Any pointers to avoid dumb and costly mistakes would be greatly appreciated.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Newbie with questions -see you in July
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:57:59 AM »
     Short general answers, no, no, yes.  For class issues you should get a rule book [will need it for safety regs and event procedures anyway] and read, read, read.  I would advise ordering an ECTA book now [ecta-lsr.com] while waiting for the LTA book to come out [see LTA rule book thread in this section of the forum].

Hope to see you having fun this season, great event, greater people.

Ed

Offline cafeswartz

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »
Thanks Ed, so if there is no advantage to reducing mass ,what about reducing rotating weight? I notice on video's that cars accelerate fairly hard so is there lots of room to get up to speed on all courses or does getting there faster help,does reduced rotating weight give more RPM? CS

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:44:08 PM »
Once you get it rolling the weight can help on the longer courses.

At Maxton, I have launched hard and shifted at Max RPM's and also launched a bit easier and short shifted to 2nd and ran faster ???  I guess it depends on the car, the traction, the gearing,,, so no perfect answer other than each car is different. 

Concentrate on all the safety gear and equipment (roll cage, seat, Head and neck restraint, etc, for the speeds you think you may max to)  then you can work on the other questions.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com