Poll

Who will be the first team to 800 mph?

American Eagle
Aussie Invader 5
Bloodhound SSC
Sonic Arrow II
none of the above!

Author Topic: 800 mph?  (Read 4016 times)

Blue

800 mph?
« on: February 11, 2010, 12:31:30 AM »
OK, this is far enough in the future that it's one of those, "Who's going to win the 2011 World Series?" kind of things.

American Eagle is running, but has few resources and lots of technical hurdles.
AI-5 is coming together quickly, yet there is no news on their rocket engines.
BSSC is still on paper (ok, computer), but their engines are tested.
Sonic Arrow would be 3 to 6 months out, but it's still in storage with no team.

Never mind 1000 mph for now, will one of these get to the next milestone first?  Maybe someone else?

Offline ski123

Re: 800 mph?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:13:11 PM »
800 mph? not until 2013, and most likley in S. Africa!
I'd like to see polls for 500/600/700 the result would be different.

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
And somewhere in the wings is the Fossett car (former Breedlove car) as I understand it the car is rebuilt and ready to run, and for sale.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:54:01 PM »
My vote is for the car that's actually turned a wheel - NAE.  Despite all the difficulties they've encountered, I think their sheer determination, persistence, and their ability to actually keep this ball rolling will pay off.

Yes, the BSSC is a more advanced design, and has better backing, but what are the odds of them being able to pull it together and run any record speed without some actual testing anytime soon?

I've said this before - it's ironic that the fastest motorsport on earth is also the slowest.  But one cannot discount the fact that the NAE team has an actual functioning vehicle and team in place.  That's a huge advantage.

I'll step out on a limb and say this - I think the Eagle will likely set a new record before any of the other contenders, but I think it's also fair to say that the record will not stand very long.  That would be a good thing for NAE - it will bring cash to the table, and THEN we'll have a REAL horse race.

And as long as I'm out here on this limb, the Cubs will make the first round off the playoffs as the NL Wild Card under Tony La Russa, the Yankees will be mathematically eliminated by September 15th, and we'll see the Twins in 5 over Philly in October, 2011.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:32:06 AM »
Well OK, I'm no expert on this but I think the two biggest hurtles are Mother Nature and Sponsorship.

We've run the NAE in wind storms, rain, mud and 118 degree heat. When it comes to running really fast,
you have to have the right conditions and that is final. When it comes to running really fast, you have to
have plenty of money. The NAE is getting down to smaller items to solve and looking more and more
like we can lay down some speed this year IF we can round up enough money to cover the expenses.
The Air Force can give us 11.5 miles at Edwards AFB but we need to come up with $50K. That is
enough space to run about 600 but marginal above that. If we can get some really good solid runs
at Edwards and some more sponsorship money comes our way, we might be looking at another
location that can give us 16 miles but has very big logistical issues to overcome. We had set July
as a probable date to run at Edwards but decided to move it to early September. The lakebed will
be better cured and maybe not as hot as July and August (one can only hope). That will also give
us time to beat the bushes for money. As I said, I'm no expert in this but then who is?
Ed

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:12:36 AM »
We had set July
as a probable date to run at Edwards but decided to move it to early September. The lakebed will
be better cured and maybe not as hot as July and August (one can only hope)

Oh, that's a good one. I'm still laughing. El Mirage in September is like vacationing 6 inches from the sun. 12 days last year 100 or over.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
When we were at Edwards last August for the steam car I thaought only the Brits could have been naive enough to schedule runs at that time of year. It now appears that the Yanks are on an equal playing field.

I defer to John's estimate of proximity to the sun at that time of year. If there are any parameters that are heat sensitive they will be tested to  the max.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »
We're Americans, we can handle it.
Ed

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 12:37:12 PM »
Ed,

Thats why the Brits called on Americans, experienced salt/El Mirage racers to time their car.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth