Author Topic: Radical new IndyCar prototype has LSR look  (Read 10732 times)

Offline aircap

Radical new IndyCar prototype has LSR look
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:30:19 PM »
Described as "a landspeed car crashed into a Cessna", Ganassi Racing unveiled the DeltaWing - a prototype IndyCar that should be lighter and faster than current versions.
Read and decide:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100210/IRL/100219986
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
Re: Radical new IndyCar prototype has LSR look
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »
I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

HotRodV8

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »
My 2 cents.

I don't like it. My first impression is it looks like the Batmobile that went to college and just made it through final exams because Dad made a donation to the college.

I see they wanted to go Green in the new design. I can understand that.

I haven't paid much attention to Indy cars in the last 20 years. It doesn't look "Indyish" to an old guy like me. They say it is 50% more aero that the present car. It doesn't look like it, but they have numbers to prove my eyes wrong.

Looking at the salty streamliner like body, it tells me they will have some difficulty adapting to different race tracks and racing conditions on the Indy circuit. I'd wonder about tire temperatures at Indy during the hot temperatures of the end of May. I think the present Indy car with all the front and rear wings to adjust would be easier to match changing race conditions than on a full "Delta Body" design.

I think they made it to green, but not to mean.

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:52:01 PM »
Looks like a trike
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:00:46 AM »
I want to see what happens when some driver decides to shoot through a narrow gap. Seems to be asking for the "big one" in Indy Car racing.

Pete

Blue

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:17:08 AM »
I gotta say that I really like it.  This would be a massive improvement aerodynamically (my own opinion, not taking their numbers for granted).  I especially like the drive towards more speed from less power.  It would help teach everyone the power of good aerodynamics (minimal separation on that back end) and get people asking the right questions.

Neglecting traction and stability issues, 235 mph on 300 HP would equate to 470 mph on 1200 HP.  Fun stuff.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:18:20 AM »
Covered or open wheel. streamliner or lakester. streamliner faster...Who Knew :-P
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:05:04 PM »
Streamlined for straight line speed but with no visible gadgets for creating down force and a narrow front end I think when it gets to the end of the straight away it will continue to go straight.  Another Inbred Racing League (IRL) POS
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »
Well, it does say that there's a downforce generator built into the underside and front of the car.

Oh, for the olden days.  I first went to the Indy 500 in 1961 -- and saw every race (but one) 'til '68.  Ah, the Offy engines, the wave of methanol exhaust as they made the first pass down the straight (Dad and I sat at about the finish line a few rows back from the fence -- will never forget that particular moment), the excitement of hearing the pack come down out of #4 corner, 33 strong, and still the sound of the Novi motor was easy to pick out as they came roaring towards us.

I somehow think that the rush of then was way more exciting than the zoom of today's cars.  And this new one -- well, maybe faster, maybe safer - but nowhere near the fun.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 12:21:03 PM »
With all that downforce and weight on the rear tires seems like not a lot of grip on the front end for turning into a corner.

.24 cd, not exactly groundbreaking when a Prisus is what .25?

Would look like a fleet of Batmobiles tho.

Interesting concept.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »
Looks like they're suggesting Indy stop open-wheel racing and consider a Sports Racer. I was rather fond of the Can-Am series, but never really thought of them as oval-track cars.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 10:44:38 PM »
Anvil, I too liked the Trans-Am cars of the early seventies but they did kill a bunch of the best drivers. Ferrari 512s, Porsche 917s, Lolas, McLarens with all aluminum BBCs. Ooooooh Yeeeeeeah!

Blue, no surprise you like this. LOL.

Something just seems wrong about budgeting fuel flow on a race car but I can't say that I haven't thought of this for a class at Bonneville. It would probably an additional liner class that would bring a lot of corp. money to the LSR game. I'm not sure it would be a good thing or bad thing.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 10:47:15 PM »
Something tells me that these cars will rely heavily on left / right brake biasing to get them to turn in as good as they do on the simulation.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 12:08:42 AM »
I haven't paid much attention to open wheel racing since the Formula 5000 series - the most notable in my mind being Mark Donohue's AMC powered Lola. 

I like this as a concept - kind of a hybrid of a traditional open wheel car with Group 7 overtones and LSR aero cues, but I just don't see me sitting at Turn 5 at Road America with a beer or a brat in my hand waiting to see it come around the corner.  It's just too sterile.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
     An interesting engineering exercise, I'm always looking for aero tech to apply for LSR efforts.

Ref Reply #11: 
               In my opinion, A lot of corporate money away from LSR has helped to keep the individual   innovation as a primary attraction of LSR for me.  While some high dollar but low key assistance in the past has been good, should the almighty dollar ever rise to the forefront attached as ultimate corporate greed it would be bad for the sport as a whole.

Ed