Author Topic: Volkswagen's $600 car gets 258 mpg  (Read 17718 times)

Offline joea

Re: Volkswagen's $600 car gets 258 mpg
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »
Rick, it is your precise response that many of us are/were hoping
to elicit......perspective from within the industry...to help
us come to grips with the large gap between what many of us
think we understand and the reality of today....

i guess i shouldnt expect anything less from the average american...who
wants a death proof vehicle with every bell and whistle known to man, for
their lazy spoiled asses, with lots of bling and excess size to impress their neighbors.......instead of efficiency that would fit
their pocketbooks......again...to me...its much like the our government......they want it all
at an expense that no one seems to care about, right now...

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 12:07:13 PM »
I had a 76 Chevette while I was going to school. It got great milage ( Don't ask me how great... just a lot better than my F-250.) That was probably the funnest car I ever had. It took me forever to get in and out of, and people told me it looked like a bunch of Shriners should be in it with me... Good car none the less... handled like a Go_Kart with a glove box.
The only complaint I had with it was the timing belt(s).. I got to the point where I could change one at night in a rain storm in 20 minutes... 45 minutes if I didn't have a flashlight.
Ahh the good old days :-D
 :cheers:

McRat

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 12:38:39 PM »
My MicroCar love affair was a Chevy Sprint.  No radio, no A/C, manual trans, 3 cyl carburated engine.   48mpg highway at 70+ mph, over 50mpg in the slow lane.  I really enjoyed getting up on three wheels going around corners, but passengers were often less enthusiastic.  I'm 6'1" and I fit better in a Sprint than a Corvette.  

I actually made money by driving it.  You could take the standard IRS deduction per mile for work related trips, and going to night school for classes related to my business.  IIRC, every mile I drove put about ten cents in the bank including purchase and maintenance.

But to be honest, I'm no longer in the market for such a car.  I work 3 miles from home, and really don't drive far enough (other than major trips) for an economy car to pay for itself.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:44:46 PM by McRat »

Offline Crosley

Re: Volkswagen's $600 car
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 04:06:16 PM »
I had 1959 Isetta in high school (1971) ...  the OE engine gave it up,  I installed a Honda 450cc  motorcycle engine in the car.  My first hotrod.  :-o
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"