Author Topic: Typo Amendment to Elmo Procedure.  (Read 14336 times)

McRat

Typo Amendment to Elmo Procedure.
« on: February 10, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »
There is a proposal to negate only the affected run if you make a typo on your entry form.  Currently, if you make a typo you are done for the weekend.  It would change to:

If you make a typo, you lose the run and points.  You can re-register and re-tech correctly and take a second shot at it.  But only if approved by the race director.

If I understand it right, this is how Bonneville works as well.  If you screw up, you can re-register and try again.

Considering that there are over 1,000 classes with four unique alphanumeric codes for each class, and just one wrong digit can send you home for the weekend under the current rules, it could be argued that the most severe infraction you can commit at Elmo is not a safety violation, it's currently penmanship.

I doubt there are many people in this world that have not made a typo on a form.  Racers aren't always English majors, so I doubt they are an exception either.

I hope I never get into a situation where this rule would affect me one way or another, but I'm often very high-strung when going through tech so I imagine given enough time this rule will eventually affect my efforts at a race someday no matter how much I wish otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:36:10 PM by McRat »

Offline willieworld

Re: Typo Amendment to Elmo Procedure.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
at bonneville and el mirage you have until you leave the startline to make a correction ----we usually tech the day before so that would give you 12 to 16 hours to make a correction with no penalty ---sheri and i have a 5 hour ride she usually does our paperwork on the trip -(dont ask)  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »
Thanks Willie, I didn't know that.  I should put "proofread registration" on the pre-race checklist.  I thought once submitted it was done.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:21:33 PM by McRat »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:24:22 PM »
First of all, it's moved per your request, Pat.

Second of all -- I know it's not always possible, but I try to get our paperwork filled out well before the event -- like at the dining room table before leaving home, or at least on the drive to the event.  Another thing I do is circle or somehow mark the body and engine class that I'll run it - maybe all of the ones I MIGHT run in - so when I'm doing the paperwork I don't accidently put down the wrong one.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

McRat

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »
thanks for the move! :cheers:

I just copy off an old sheet and double check the book.

But writing 468 instead of 486 and missing it on a proofread?  I'd like to THINK that is impossible, but ...

A rulechange like this will probably affect new racers more than experienced racers, but I believe the proposal was made due to an "old salt" who screwed up.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
Are you dirt racers at Elmo really that silly about a simple typo? I'm sorry but it seems like your points competition really brings out the worst in people. At bonneville everybody is always ready to help out a fellow racer even if they are in the same class in my experience.  Sure doesn't seem to be that way when points are involved at Elmo. Seems like everybody is always trying to get their fellow racer disqualifies instead for simple rules infractions. :oops:

McRat

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »
Are you dirt racers at Elmo really that silly about a simple typo? I'm sorry but it seems like your points competition really brings out the worst in people. At bonneville everybody is always ready to help out a fellow racer even if they are in the same class in my experience.  Sure doesn't seem to be that way when points are involved at Elmo. Seems like everybody is always trying to get their fellow racer disqualifies instead for simple rules infractions. :oops:

Points only affect me for run order, and only if I remain under 200.  Run order can be critical at Elmo, but I'd never begrudge someone a record so I can run a couple hours sooner.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »
Get a rubber stamp made for both
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 03:32:02 PM »
The way I read the proposal is it only applies if you have made a record run with the wrong data on your entry. Here is a copy of the proposal. Hope this clarifies everything.

Tom G.

2010 EMP changes-Proposed by the Super Fours

SEC V.-C. EMP :

Current EMP Reads -"No single vehicle may run in more than one class at one meet.........."

ADD:

THERE IS ONE EXCEPTION: Only in the case that a vehicle that has completed A SEEMING RECORD
QUALIFYING RUN, and has unintentionally FAILED record certification due to being entered in the
wrong class, may that same vehicle be un-entered and re-entered to run again at the same meet.

The process is accomplished by
-Re-registering using another number, and

- Paying another entry fee, and
- Using exactly the same physical vehicle and engine, and
- Complete standard class change re inspection, and
- Notify and obtain approval from race director
All data for the previous run will be made void. IE: no points, records, etc.

This situation will result in the vehicle's performance in that event not being eligible for the points
championship. ( Different entry number )
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »

More like jerks, a good change  :cheers:

JL222

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 03:35:12 PM »
it doesnt have anything to do with silly--it has to do with the rules--at bonneville if you make a typo and leave the starting line you will have to pay a change of class fee (300 dollars) and go back through tech to get in the right class---at el mirage you cant change classes at one event--you can run but you cant set a record at that event period---i think it saves the argument later that " I KNOW THATS WHAT I WROTE BUT THATS NOT WHAT I MENT "   just be careful and get it right the first time  willie buchta

where are you guys getting the rules proposal changes from   -------
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:56:43 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 04:53:36 PM »
Board meeting last week.  

If you think about it, the offender is still "punished", he gets no points, must pay double, probably loses 2 passes (tech and registration), and it doesn't affect the other racers.  If he can go 209mph once, he can probably figure out how to go that fast or faster again.  The only thing it does, is give him a shot at a record that event.  And isn't that what it's all about?  Seeing how fast you can trip the lights?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:57:05 PM by McRat »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 05:42:28 PM »
hummm proposed by the "super fours" ya say..... interesting wording..... so if a competitor completes a qualifying run and unintentionally failed certification because he put "G" on his entry form and is found to have "alky" in his tank he can simply bypass Crucifixion and simply reenter..... I find it a bit interesting....
Kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 06:14:59 PM »
Kent put his finger right on it---i think thats just the first test---there will be more before the event is over----------------------------------------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »
hummm proposed by the "super fours" ya say..... interesting wording..... so if a competitor completes a qualifying run and unintentionally failed certification because he put "G" on his entry form and is found to have "alky" in his tank he can simply bypass Crucifixion and simply reenter..... I find it a bit interesting....
Kent

Not sure whether the Race Director would find that to be a valid typo or cheating.  Tank sealing, and the two codes must not have matched, plus there isn't there a check box for fuel on top of the 2 codes and logbook entry?

If you have broken a record, you know which one, and what the speed required was.  I don't think "accidently" writing the wrong fuel, aspiration, or cubic inches multiple times in 2 documents (log and reg) and claiming a record is going to fly as a simple mistake.

Besides, those willing to hide a bottle are going to do it no matter what is printed in a rulebook, then make up lies about it to try and get out of it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:19:37 PM by McRat »