Author Topic: spindle and bearing hub....what should I use?  (Read 7135 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

spindle and bearing hub....what should I use?
« on: February 07, 2010, 02:18:34 AM »
I have 5X4.5 in my rears and would like to use the same up front.

I know the ford mustang II uses the 5X4.5 and I can find plenty of spindles but no bearing hubs.
Seems the only bearing hubs are in disc brake kits with all the brackets, rotors, pads...ect.

Is there a place I can get the bearing hubs without all the other stuff.

Or is there another spindle hub combo I should consider?

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline krusty

Re: spindle and bearing hub....what should I use?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:14:08 AM »
Johnny - Is your front suspension MII? If not, what about spindle/hub parts for sprint, midget, dragster, etc. Lots of sources for this stuff. Google is your friend.    vic

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »
Sum cut the rotors off parts store stuff to get an "empty" hub.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/construction%20page-20.html

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »
at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would suggest you remember scrub radius when you make your choice of which ones to turn down
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:55:50 AM »
Jonny, Early `70`s AMC products used a bolt on spindle w/ that bolt pattern. J.B.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
Have you looked in a Timken catalog?  They make hundreds of different hubs and I would think they would have what you might need.  FYI there engineer told us they color code the hubs with  different paint dabs (green and blue combination) for low drag bearings.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:26:47 PM »
Jonny, Early `70`s AMC products used a bolt on spindle w/ that bolt pattern. J.B.

Doh!  My buddy has a complete set including brakes (yeah!) that I think you could get really cheap.  Want me to check?  You could probably play with 'em for a while before making a decision.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »
Hotnuts,

From what I recall of your build pictures you have Anglia spindles (P&S, SPE, Stilletto, Strange, Mark Williams, etc). Wilwood's light duty front brake kit can be bought with hubs for that spindle- you might even be able just to buy the hubs less brakes.
The bolt patterns are Chevy and Chrysler/Ford (your 4.5)
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »
Hotnuts,

From what I recall of your build pictures you have Anglia spindles (P&S, SPE, Stilletto, Strange, Mark Williams, etc). Wilwood's light duty front brake kit can be bought with hubs for that spindle- you might even be able just to buy the hubs less brakes.
The bolt patterns are Chevy and Chrysler/Ford (your 4.5)

You are correct IB that I currently have the Strange/Anglia spindles.

My concern is while that they didnt fail with the 14" OD tires I used (that also have a very high radii betwixt the sidewall to tread) when I spun the car last year, the fact that I will be using the same 22" M&H tires I currently have on the rear on the fronts this year.
I am worried that because of the increased leverage generated by the larger diameter, coupled with me adding weight up front that if the vehicle ended up going sideways the lateral load on the smaller Anglia spindles would not be able to handle the stress and snap.

If a spindle was to snap going sideways you can imagine that it would be very possible to cause the car to flip.....and....I am trying to avoid this.  

There is a product made by ProWerks and sold by Chassis Shop that would work if I decided to use my current Anglia configuration.

http://secure.chassisshop.com/partlist/6081/

I am wondering if anyone will chime in that these billet hub adapters, with a 22" wheel would in fact be able to take the stress......me personally....I dont know but something tells me I would be better off with a bigger spindle.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline racergeo

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
      Hot Nuts, don't sweat using your current stuff. I have had a lot of cars, including my current Bantam altered, that use the Anglia with no worries.  Saltosaurus was sideways at 270 bent both rear spindles but didn't break em (FWD). Funny Cars and top fuelers use them successfully.