Author Topic: butt welds again  (Read 5888 times)

Offline willieworld

butt welds again
« on: February 06, 2010, 12:50:34 AM »
JD mentioned in another thread that z-ed frames ( rectangular ) were also butt welded---i discovered this method way back hope it helps someone-----the first  Z is how i usually see it done --the second one i think is better it has more weld area --- both angles in both examples are the same---the tubing is 2 X 4 .120 wall  --------------well judge for yourself  --------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Re: butt welds again
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 12:51:15 AM »
more pics

willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:38:46 AM »
I agree Willie. If one was to plate the end of the square cut tube before putting it in the joint you'd probably have the ultimate in strength you could achieve without using internal or  external plates.

Pete

Offline Crosley

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 12:25:13 PM »
With either method  of cuts,  would external plates be advised or required  for  tech  inspection ?
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 12:55:57 PM »
It would probably depend on the organization and the inspectors. I've always used gusset plates on that type of structure whether it be on race cars of various types or on trailers.

Pete

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 03:57:09 PM »
Just for "extra strength"  I would use diamond shaped gusset plates, or some sort of gusset plate.

Here is an example.

Charles
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:01:17 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »
O K you two this is for you---i dont like plates on the outside  they always seem to get in the way later ---so i did a plate on the inside --its pretty simple and the pics will probably explain it better than me---i know i only did one side and if you wanted you could do both sides---just remember if you dont have the welding skills but have a welder   do the fab work tack it all together and get a good welder (weldor) to weld it together       happy motoring     willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »
a few more pics
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
You continue to do nice work Willie. :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 06:52:17 PM »
Question for all????

I like the idea of th plate being on the inside, however is it as strong as one that is welded on the surface? I see a surface welded plate being stronger due to the complete edges being welded versus 8 spot welds.

Scott

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »
Question for all????

I like the idea of th plate being on the inside, however is it as strong as one that is welded on the surface? I see a surface welded plate being stronger due to the complete edges being welded versus 8 spot welds.

Scott

Generally not and mostly for the reason you suspect. But it is stronger than no plate.
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
scott   in the first example the tubes are cut at a 22 1/2 degree angle which will make a 45 degree bend angle---with 2 X 4 X .120 tube a butt weld should be enough ( especially with a full role cage tied in )  if it isnt then perhaps your welding skills need some work---the second example is the same overall angle 45 degrees --the tubes are cut different one is 90 degrees the other is an L cut---in the first example to weld it together will need 12 inches of weld  in the second example it will take 16 inches of weld thats 30 precent more--even without the extra weld the 90  L  is much stronger ---the third example  inside plates is probably overkill --- everyone should be  the judge for there own safety regardless of what tech wants ---and those are rosette welds not spot welds and if done properly will probably hold everything together by themselves ---next time you are under your truck take a close look at where the axle tubes connect to the center section---just my 2 ยข    cant wait to see your new frame---------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »
here is one more option  then im on to the diamond outside plate then the piece of railroad track  LOL  ---this is just a piece cut from a piece of 2 by 2 X .120 scrap  ---thanks everyone   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »
Nice.
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 09:39:52 PM »
I like Willie's method of cutting and fitting the rectangular tube together, but to add strenght to this joint in bending the addition of either internal or external plates on what is the "web" section of the beam is not very effective. It does strengthen the beam considerabily for side loads but we are usually more concerned with the vertical bending loads and I would think that the best method would be the addition of a diamond shaped doubler plate added to the top of the tube and spanning the weld joint. This increases the moment of inertia thru the joint which makes much stronger. The addition of the side plates also increases the moment of inertia of the section but not nearly as much as a plate on the top. The addition of the lower gusset also does a great job of increasing the moment of inertia of the tube thru the joint and this gusset along with the addition of a diamond shape plate spaning the top weld joint would easily make the tube joint many times stronger than the tube itself.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.