Author Topic: Wind Speed  (Read 6838 times)

Offline bbarn

Re: Wind Speed
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »
First thing I noticed was that 2-D is insufficient for my purposes. Second, I had the body off center and that caused the right side wheel fairing to get into major interference trouble. Third, no moving floor and no way to represent the body in close proximity to the ground. Fourth, no compensation for velocity, I have no idea what velocity the tool uses, but I have to assume it is well below 400mph.

Other than that, it pretty much flowed like I thought it would, nice clean lines and not much turbulence at the rear of the vehicle. I really want to get a model into CFD and into a tunnel for thorough investigations. I really want to see what the interference is at the body and wheel fairings where they meet the axle fairing. I would also like to do the yarn test while in the tunnel and see how well we can keep the flow laminar and how the ground effect plays with the airflow.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: Wind Speed
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 11:34:55 AM »
bbarn, with all due respect, go read my original post on why i am building this tunnel :roll:,, it is nothing fancy, just a tunnel that i can set a block of wood, a model car, motorcycle in, and then visualise what happens when i apply the smoke wand to the various shapes, surfaces,,,, a person can study all the text books ever written :|, nothing but nothing, comes close to gaining knowledge than actually witnessing something happen.
Ummmm,,, i purchased the book "Race Car Aerodynamics" 12 years ago, read it and have refered back to it many times,,, it is a very good book, but in all honesty it gives me a headache :-).

I agree- just build it. I doubt it will be any more of a waste of time than anything we do here.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com