Author Topic: 302 gmc into 50 chev half ton  (Read 8611 times)

Offline lgraves

• New folks
302 gmc into 50 chev half ton
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:45:10 AM »
Am getting serious about swapping a 302 jimmy into a 50 model pick-up.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Would like to use a stick tranny with overdrive.  Suggestions?  Also, would like to modify the motor to make a good running street rig out of it.  Need lots of help!!!  Larry Graves

Offline lrgraves

• New folks
Re: 302 gmc into 50 chev half ton
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »
Since I haven't received any responses to my first post, I thought I would go ahead and state my ultimate goal, 200 mph!  Is a blown or turbo-ed 302 capable of going 200 in anything (preferably old) GM made?  I really am serious, and since I turned 61 this past week, I'd like to give it a try before I get too old to care.  Some replies would be appreciated.  I've been reading other posts with great interest, and I am envious of the great tech knowledge and sense of humor LSR members have.  My dream is to belong to such an elite group one day.

Offline Bville701

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 07:53:41 PM »
Maybe explain a little more... What do you have so far? Do you meet all the safety requirments? Do you have a rule book? What class are you planning on running in? This will help us help you with your build. Good luck with your build and I wait to see it on the salt one day.   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline bbarn

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »
IGraves, that's a pretty broad question.

How about we go this way:
What kind of power are you going to be able to afford to make out of the 302?
What tranny do you plan on using?
What rear-end are you thinking of using?
Last but not least, what car and class would you like to run in?

If you wanted to run 200mph and all you had was a 302, build a streamliner, you can do it there. If you want to run a car, you will need to supply some answers to the parameters above, and you'll start getting responses.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:54:46 PM »
30 years ago i went 177 with a turbo 302 in a Vega. 50 pickup is pushing LOTS more air than a Vega. If you can do it, more power to you.

Offline lgraves

• New folks
Re: 302 gmc modifications
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 09:19:08 PM »
Guys, I have had to give up my dream of going 200 for the time being due to cost, but I still want to pursue hopping up the 302.  The head needs some new valves and they are pricey and hard to fine.  Can a newer, lighter valve be used?  Also, I am interested in the turbo idea.  Ideas for inner mods and turbo type would be very much appreciated.  LSR racer Gary Hart lives within an hour of me, and I would like to contact him somehow.  He is/has built 302 engines to race, and I'd like to visit with him if possible.  Thanks for any and all help.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:56:49 PM »
Find one of his posts and click onto his profile at the left for contact info or the little email or PM symbols.

Might also pay to do a little reasearch reading before investing in hard parts.  $100 doesn't get many parts these days but $100 or so will get some good reference info to head you in the right direction on combinations for where you want to aim.

Haven't got the title handy but there is a good book on GM 6 sixes out there.  I have found Miller's "TURBO REAL WORLD HIGH-PERFORMANCE TURBOCHARGER SYSTEMS, Vizard's "HOW TO BUILD HORSEPOWER", and Betts and Hancock's "DYNO TESTING AND TUNING" all very informative and well worth the purchase prices.  All three up to date and have changed a lot of my old thoughts.  Don't let the "Dyno" in the last title throw you, lot of good general tuning info in there that doesn't have to be used while on the dyno.

Ed

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »
2.02 & 1.60 Chevy valves are easily adapted to the 302 head along with 1.50" diameter springs. Comp also has springs which are easily shimmed to be used with flat tappet cams. If you have a steel cam it also can be reground to over .500" lift with stock rockers. A roller setup will cost some $$'s.

Ross and Arias list pistons for stock rod length; for aftermarket longer rods hold your wallet. Some have made longer rods from other vintage engines work.

The lower end lives pretty well naturally aspirated but with any "extra" boost you might to look at some support.

Going 200 with a GMC is easy. All you need to do is take all the money you have, borrow twice that much and then win the lottery.  :-D :-D

Good Luck..............................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
Goggle   Inliners International. They have a very professional website and club structure dedicated to inline engines of all types.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Ervin

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 06:29:56 PM »
If you are looking for a better body than your 50 truck for racing, Rick Haines had some 37 Chevy coupe and 34 Ford coupe fiberglass bodys he was selling or giving away to salt flat racers. $2,500 for street rod and hotrod bodys,but if you turn it into a racer, he refunds your cash. I'm not sure if hes still doing it that way,  but I was at his shop back in july and he still had 2 bodys behind the shop. his shop is north of St Louis, where are you at. 

Good luck with your project and post a diary,  ERVIN

Offline GH

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 05:21:35 PM »
Lgraves, I still have the GMC and are courrently putting it into a 51 GMC truck. Give a call at 417-742-3068