Author Topic: Chevy Monza A/BGCC  (Read 17389 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Chevy Monza A/BGCC
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 11:09:20 PM »
I would run a very small amt of caster---you do not want steering inputs and caster to change the chassis loading---then you get directional inputs from the axle  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 11:14:02 PM »
I would run a very small amt of caster---you do not want steering inputs and caster to change the chassis loading---then you get directional inputs from the axle  :-o

Run very little caster and a rigid frame and you'll surely succeed in the sport. :-D :-D :-D

Offline hotschue

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 07:55:05 AM »
Reversing A arms approximately 13 degrees neg. will go straight all by it self!
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 10:27:41 AM »
unless you have to turn the strg wheel
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 10:35:44 AM »
Glad to here there is going to be another new comp coupe I would like to see the class built up.

Right now, I'm just toying with the idea. I do find the class very interesting.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

LittleLiner

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:42 AM »
First off, I assume when you say “Monza” you mean the front engine car and not the Corvair Monza . . .

If I were building a CC (and I am not) I would sell the Monza to someone that wants to run in the Classic Category (Pro, Gas Coupe, or Altered).  Then I would look at what is out there and has set records.  Just looking at the Bonneville CC record holders you can see a variety of bodies.

Keith Turk’s is an 80 Camaro running a pretty near stock shaped front end.  The Trackmaster car on the other hand is a stretched early Fiat Topolino.  If I am not mistaken the records set in CC by Wooden were mostly (if not all) done with a chopped and stretched Crosley sedan.  The Burkland B-210 is mentioned above.  The Stringfellow car is a stretched Chevy Cavaliar.  The Bryant car (which crashed last year) was a chopped and stretched 34 Ford coupe.  The Ace Allen car (also run in the E class by Joe Timney) was a stretched and chopped Chevette (gone now after a heavy crash).  Huffman runs a Studebaker.  Of course there is the Blowfish.  In the smaller displacement classes you see the Hondata which is an Acura RSX (or maybe a Honda Civic?).  Also the Geo Metro cars run by the Hudson  boys are all small but there probably isn't any data on that body over 140mph or so.

If you are looking for small you also might try to get one of the following . . .
Fiat 600 (not sure if the Fiat 500 would be considered a 4 passenger car)
Crosley
Early Honda Civic
Honda 600s
Reliant Kitten (the 4 wheel one) from England
Toyota Starlet (or Starlight?)
American Austin Coupe
Mini Cooper (not the new one from BMW)

And there are others.

One issue with the really small cars (small frontal area) is that they tend to be hatchback shaped so I am not sure how good the aero is with the blunt butts.

Lots of choices . . . .

Offline bbarn

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 03:30:52 PM »
Rob, maybe we should try this approach?

I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
Littleliner: RobF wants to buiild a Comp Coupe. There is no "comp coupe" in Classic as you have shown  by mentioning the classes it allows in "selling" the Monza reply...

Since he has the Monza and if he ends up running in one of the classic classes, the Monza is the one to run.

I can't remember if anyone has stuck a 3, 4 or 5 foot nose on a Monza body style to make a true Comp Coupe (most just do a belly pan) but the way every on talks on its stabliity it may be the way to go.

Just another opinion......................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DSR88

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
Add 36" to a chevy monza I think that would make a cool looking comp coupe. Chop the top Way cool, dont want to give away too much more just remember this is the funny car class of landspeed racing thats what I love about this class;

Offline DSR88

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 07:48:39 PM »
By the way I here there is another comp coupe be built do know what kind,I would like to know but I think they are looking at starting out as a C/BGCC.

Offline Bville701

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 12:46:53 AM »
I think Art Chrisman is building one, but I don't know what size motor he will be running.    :-o
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 05:46:12 PM »
Add 36" to a chevy monza I think that would make a cool looking comp coupe. Chop the top Way cool, dont want to give away too much more just remember this is the funny car class of landspeed racing thats what I love about this class;

Me too!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
LeF.. There is a shop over at Chrismans that was building a CC and was using a new Colbalt..Not sure if it was finished. They ask me to at for the chopping and I gave them my opinion on how to make it legal. I also had them check with the modified chairman for further charification...May not even be the same vehicle..........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bville701

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:29 PM »
JD, yep that's the one I was talking about. Thanks for the info.    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »
Two brief comments:

Caster, generally, needs to increase with tail heavy cars.

Competition Coupe, closely followed by Rear Engine Modified Roadster are the two SCARIEST classes to build because of the aerodynamic unknowns.

SpeedWeek 2009.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)