Author Topic: Chevy Monza A/BGCC  (Read 17307 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Chevy Monza A/BGCC
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »
Do you think the Monza would be a good platform to build a Comp Coupe from?
I was thinking of extending the nose about 36" and building a tube frame front end.
Do they have any weird characteristics that would disqualify it from making it a good CC?
Maybe the roof line is too rounded and creates lift or something like that?
Do you think we would be better off with third gen "F" body to start with?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Chevy Monza A/BGCC
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:08:40 PM »
Do you think the Monza would be a good platform to build a Comp Coupe from?
I was thinking of extending the nose about 36" and building a tube frame front end.
Do they have any weird characteristics that would disqualify it from making it a good CC?
Maybe the roof line is too rounded and creates lift or something like that?
Do you think we would be better off with third gen "F" body to start with?

Think smaller....... as in frontal.    :wink:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:26:23 PM »
Mike,
Are you saying that the Monza would be better than the "F" body or should we be looking at something smaller yet? Is there anything smaller car that has a good shape that is not a sports car? I bet you have a better idea!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:45:59 PM »
Steve Batchelor ran an injected SBC stock-wheelbased Monza into the 250's 10-15 years ago.  Wouldn't think extending it would hurt it any.  Be nice to have a frame, though.

Stan
(1 pass in the Monza for my A license.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »
Look at the Blowfish car, not small at all; but there is a ton of R&D in that front end.  There will a lot of competition in that class one Lee Kennedy finishes his Firebird.  You better hurry if your looking for a record or a hat.  Not to say that Lee won't have his share of grimlins, but his experience does suggest they will be minimal.  Good luck to you regardless I'm sure you will compete in anything you guys build. :cheers:

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »
RobFrey - We ran a Monza inthe mid-80's with a bit of success - stock short wheel base and all.  My rookie orientation talk consisted of " Watch yourself anything over 190 and a Monza will turn around on you evrytime - lot of lift!!!" Made for a tight bung for the first three passes as we got over 200. Ended up at 220's and never had a problem - We had right at zero caster in the front end until young Jack Dolan told us to swap a-arms side to side for the next year. Good luck going A/BGCC speeds. Get help from good people. Pat

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 03:09:41 PM »
Look at a chopped Honda 600, maybe a 90's Toyota Tercell coupe. The Burkland chopped Datsun B-210 worked out well..........Think outside the box......Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 03:25:50 PM »
Toyota, Starlight Coupe  is very small---get something that has  great AERO BUTT   Monza is sensative to the rear spoiler attack angle
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »
Dont bother answering if yould rather not, but curious as to what swapping the A arms does, allow more caster ? No money, no car, no secrets

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 11:11:16 PM »
I only know what my Vega is like to 208. But it was always fine to there. Monza is pretty much the same. But I always thought of them as Altered/Gas/Pro coups. Some of those Two + Two cars --240Z---are very slick. What about a Honda Coup? That little fastback they had about 10-15 years ago?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:33:16 AM »
How about a Merkur xr4Ti?  Stable (I've read  :mrgreen: ) at 200+ in "production" configuration.  Somewhat rare but you should be able to find one cheap.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline hotschue

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:56:35 AM »
We ran a Buick Skyhawk, swapped lower A arms, factory rear spoiler. Car was very predictable with no handling issues, best exit speed 231.---.  Talking to some of my fellow racer with simular body styles high 240's was considered the limit in its current configuration.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline DSR88

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
Glad to here there is going to be another new comp coupe I would like to see the class built up.

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 04:51:06 PM »
The a-arm swap gives you some caster - that is a good thing - Pat :-D

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 10:43:26 PM »
Easy guess when he said he had 0 caster the other way, just curious, thanks. I dont think Id like to try 0 caster at 220, mucho huevos !