Author Topic: Laser engraving  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Laser engraving
« on: February 01, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
Ah, now it's time for me to abuse the privilege of owning the site -- I get to write and post an unabashed commercial.

Nancy and I have bought a company, meaning among other things, that my "retirement" lasted 1 year and 8 months.  We've opened the doors now - at Kudos Laser Engraving here in Marquette, Michigan.  We'd appreciate it if you'd give us a chance to supply your with whatever engraved items you might want.

The business makes the usual things - like trophies, wall plaques, etched glass and metalware, badges, and so on.  And we can engrave most anything -- if it'll fit in our machine (about 24" x 30").  Valve covers might fit, and the stock from you shotgun probably will, too.  We can make engraved dash plaques -- whether to identify that you won such-and-such award at a concours show, or because your company made this custom hot rod.  License plates?  Hey, of course -- whatever you want them to say.  And if your state doesn't allow custom plates -- we can do license plate "surrounds", too.

We're new at this (of course), but that won't stop us from trying to earn your business.  If you've got a company where you've been getting good service for years -- well, think about giving us a chance to quote.  If you've never bought something like this - or have a new idea -- get in touch pronto.  We're online at www.kudoslaser.com, and the phone number is 906 249 9999 (catchy, hey?).  Or - of course - you can send me a note through the PM system here on the Forum.

We'd like to supply your trophies and plaques.  Thanks (in advance) for giving us a chance to do so.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Laser engraving
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »
Jon
How about name tags (Badges) for the bend in the road party. Something people that want to pin on their shirts or hats.  Have them order in advance and pick up at the gathering or from your pit. Shouldn't cost to much. Maybe a little logo on them as well. Just a thought.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »
Ok, I don't need any laser engraving, but I'm sure there are a few questions out there. I had some laser engraving done in December.

If you need text only, do you have a form? How do you send font, size, number of lines, etc.

Can you do do vector or raster engraving? The site that I used allows you to send an Adobe Illustrator (among others) file.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 01:00:24 PM »
Vector files maske for straighter lines -- so we usually will change a jpg inbto vector if appearance is important.  Yes, Adobe Illustrator is dandy -- it's one of the programs we use daily.

Name tags for the Salt Talks picnic, hey?  I'll ask Travis (our guy that runs the machine) how much time it'll take - so I can come up with a price for them in quantity.  Shouldn't be much over $25 or $40 each, don't worry.  Thanks for the idea, Glen.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »
Personalized license plates are being discussed elsewhere in the forum -- and sure, we can make them for you.  Let us know what you want.  If you want to specify a font or anything particular -- email the information.  Hey, for that matter, email the art or the photo you want put on something.  We'll probably be able to do it.  We're doing 200 license plates for a local radio station. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »
Okay, ladies and gentlemen -- the unabashed commercial for Kudos Laser Engraving gets expanded.  Here's today's idea:

Nancy and I have taken paper sticky badges to Salt Talks for a bunch of years - but how about personal engraved name badges for Salt Talks - and any time, for that matter?  We'll make plastic engraved name tags, about 1 1/2" tall by 3" wide, with a pin-type clip on the back.  Rounded corners so they don't snag on your clothing.  We'll used a dark color plastic for the badge - since so many folks at the Salt wear light-colored clothing.  We'lklk come up with some kind of "logo" and that'll be on there - as well as your name and something like your vehicle number or vehicle or team name or whatever.  3" wide gives us room for a large-size name and a little bit smaller font for the number/team name/whatever -- and still have some room for the logo.

They'll be $5 each - and about half that will be considered your donation to this website.  I'll have you send the money (Paypal or check or cash or something) along with your requested name and other stuff -- and we'll have them with us when we get to SpeedWeek.  We won't have any way of making them once we're out there - so order first, get 'em later.

We will be returning to home after SpeedWeek for a little while, then back out in time for WoS, so I guess we could take orders for more during the first visit - and deliver them during later events.  Once you see 'em you'll want one for every member of your racing team, for your grandchildren, and maybe for the kids in the fourth grade where you did a presentation on your land speed racing activities.

So - what logo should we have?  Something specific for Salt Talks - ergo a brand-new one?  Or maybe one of the familiar iconic shapes - the old 'liner on the BNI art, or maybe an outline of the BLM sign at Land's End?  Let's hear what you've got to say about this concept, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
Use the profile of the mountains that I posted as Hallowed Ground. It would leave a lot of room to engrave and had a dark background.

I think it is in Old Bonneville fotos section.

REPLY #690   I'll find one w/o the writing if you need it.

Gotta go. The banquet is eating my lunch and only a short time to be ready.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:34:24 PM »
That's a cool picture of Mecca.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »
What Freud said.
It is a beautiful picture and doesn't even need a logo

Rick

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 01:56:38 PM »
The dear Dr. sent me a full-size image of it.  I think I'll have Travis (our worker here) see if he can make it into something the laser machine can do well and recognizable.  Probably just the outline of the top of the mountains, probably located at the bottom of the badge.  The badge might have to be taller than 1 1/2" -- price will stay the same no matter.

Stay tuned.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

HotRodV8

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »
  Here's today's idea: ...how about personal engraved name badges for Salt Talks - and any time, for that matter?  We'll make plastic engraved name tags, about 1 1/2" tall by 3" wide, with a pin-type clip on the back...

So - what logo should we have?  Something specific for Salt Talks - ...  Let's hear what you've got to say about this concept, hey?

SSS --

I know I want 4 badges, two for me and two for my daughter.

My only preference would be a Salt Talks design badge that I could  identify and know it was a Salt Talk's badge from about 20 feet away (with the mountains outline for example). That way if I see someone on the salt I don't know, but I recognize a Salt Talks badge, I might want to go over, introduce myself and start a conversation. Up close, then I could read his or her name.

The reason I want two badges for myself is to have my on-line user name "HotRodV8" on my "official" Salt Talks badge in large letters. On the second generic Bonneville badge I would put my aka street name for those I meet who are not associated with LR.com, which should be less than a dozen people  aliens or so.  :-D

I didn't want to put my two names on one badge because at my age it gets harder to see that smaller engraving even if I squint.  :| I'm sure I have enough room for two badges on my hat.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 12:48:27 PM »
Back to my shameless advertising - and also a reminder to you folks out there in internet-land.

First of all, we're still planning to have name badges at Salt Talks.  They'll be about 1 1/2" tall and 3" wide -- as earlier stated in this thread.  We'll charge $5 each for them -- you pay in advance by sending the money and your name to us (yeah, Paypal will be okay) so we can make the badges ahead of time.  We'll have them with us when we leave home for SpeedWeek and you can either wait 'til Salt Talks to get them - or try to find us in our pit and get yours then.  You should think about having both your on-line name (i.e. 4 Barrel Mike) as well as your "real" name -- so folks seeing you wearing the badge will know who the heck you are.  After all, Salt Talks was founded way back when to give the online community a chance to meet one another in person.  Start sending your orders for tags.  By the also way -- they'll be white with some color (yet to be decided, but all will be the same) writing.  We'll engrave them with the outline of the mountains so everyone will know it's a "real" Bonneville name badge.

Okay - the shameless ad.  At least it sort of refers to racing.  A couple of weeks ago Tonya Turk asked if we could make some engraved coffee mugs for the ECTA to sell at the concession stand/official trailer.  We did so -- and they sold pretty danged well.  If you didn't get yours at the April meet - let Tonya know and she'll order up more for the upcoming events.  The racetrack price is $10 - less than buying them directly from the store.  If you or your group or organization would like a batch made especially for you -- get in touch with me and we'll see if we can "negotiate" a price that suits you and Kudos Laser.

http://www.kudoslaser.com/mugs.htm

That's it for now.  Gotta go finish tilling the garden.  We'll be planting seeds in less than six weeks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 11:28:29 AM »
Back to the Salt Talks name tags, please.  A few of you were kind enough to send some suggested artwork for the background of the tags -- and now I can't find it.  I want to use the outline of the mountains -- and someone did send me a line drawing/diagram of that scene.  If you've got it -- or a good photo of said lumps of stone -- please send it along to me.  I'd hope that you'd email it to me (rather than compress the file down to one small enough to post -- so it'd arrive here as a highest-possible resolution file.  Not absolutely necessary to be high-res -- but the better it is, the easier it is for us to get it into the laser machine.

Then I'll start working on the tags.  I'll make up a few "samples" and post photos so you can see them, and then I'll start asking for orders.  The tags will be about 1 1/2" tall and 3" wide and will be white surface with a dark-color lettering/mountain outline.  I'll be taking prepaid orders only.  That is -- you'll send me $$ and I'll make the tags, then have them with me when Nancy and I arrive at Bonneville for SpeedWeek.  We'll have you get them from our pit or from us at Salt Talks (Sunday evening).  This prepay makes it easier for us -- we won't have to be making tags that don't get picked up.  Well, we might -- but at least they'll be paid for.

Order one or two for yourself (wear 'em at the Drivers Meeting!), some for your crew, some for the kids/grandkids, and so on.  I'll have them set up to attach to your outerwear with either magnet holders (pretty danged stout!!) or pointy pin clasps.  Please specify which way you want 'em when you order.

Thanks. 

Next post will talk about having us make souvenir coffee mugs for you.  I'll make them with your name and a little other engraving - per your request.  But that'll be in the next post, maybe some day soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com