Author Topic: Australia Trip Adventure Updates  (Read 16840 times)

Offline hawkwind

altitude
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 05:25:43 AM »
something else I thought of , Lake Gairdner is almost at sea level  , dont know if you realised this
Gary
slower than most

Offline ack

Australia Trip Adventure Updates
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 01:22:16 PM »
Yea if you are turbocharged it is a disadvantage.  Thicker air = more drag.  We are hoping the condition of the salt and length of course will make up for it.

landracing

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 04:15:13 PM »
Received my passport in the mail. That actually didn't take very long at all, not the full 6 weeks they claimed. Great...

Now on to other info. I think Joe is right about done with the bikes shipping container. Need to put an outside skin on it and it should be about done. Then fill it with our junk...

Clothes will be packed in the container for the duration of our stay in Australia, so just a few items will be needed to take on the plane. We dont want to have ANY checked luggage...

Still trying to figure on what we are going to do for pistons on our second motor. We have had an issue there... Time is getting to short to get this second motor together... Or maybe just spare parts at this point we have less then a month to figure it all out..

We have found that Fuel may have to be purchased in Australia because shipping in may cause the container to be Hazardous... Mike was looking into and found options for us to get fuel there if need be.

Mike has been doing a TON of behind  the scenes work on getting this all put together with alot of help from the TOP 1 Oil guys. Getting Motorcycle Australia ok, getting FIM sanctions and a rep setup, getting the DLRA guys read and prepared for the FIM requirements etc etc. Thanks again Top 1 Oil and Mike...

More to come in sure soon enough..

Jon

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 12:31:38 AM »
A big thanks to all of those folks for the behind the scenes work and allowing us to tag along.
I got a shipping container from my sponsoring dealer-- Vallejo HD/Buell to ship the bike in and have been packing tools and parts in pelican cases and such to survive the trip.Passport should be here soon,esp if they are as fast as Joe's.Wired in ignition retard and put in bigger nitrous jets,back to dyno one more time.Hope they find out about fuel situation soon,any word on nitrous shipping?
Cannot wait!!
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 01:37:06 AM »
Quote from: landracing
Received my passport in the mail. That actually didn't take very long at all, not the full 6 weeks they claimed. Great...

Now on to other info. I think Joe is right about done with the bikes shipping container. Need to put an outside skin on it and it should be about done. Then fill it with our junk...

Clothes will be packed in the container for the duration of our stay in Australia, so just a few items will be needed to take on the plane. We dont want to have ANY checked luggage...

Still trying to figure on what we are going to do for pistons on our second motor. We have had an issue there... Time is getting to short to get this second motor together... Or maybe just spare parts at this point we have less then a month to figure it all out..

We have found that Fuel may have to be purchased in Australia because shipping in may cause the container to be Hazardous... Mike was looking into and found options for us to get fuel there if need be.

Mike has been doing a TON of behind  the scenes work on getting this all put together with alot of help from the TOP 1 Oil guys. Getting Motorcycle Australia ok, getting FIM sanctions and a rep setup, getting the DLRA guys read and prepared for the FIM requirements etc etc. Thanks again Top 1 Oil and Mike...

More to come in sure soon enough..

Jon

Pistons will be there tomorrow, they showed today however no one to sign for them.  Judie will get them tomorrow..

Mine on the other hand need to be restarted..

J :roll:

landracing

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 01:42:36 AM »
Yep box was there today, now just good times.....

Thanks Jon!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Jon

Offline ack

Final preparations
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 08:35:36 PM »
Final preparations for the Australian trip to the DLRA-FIM speed trials March 6th through the 10th 2006.

If there is anyone here or abroad planning to run for a FIM record you paper work must be submitted to the FIM by January 6th 2006 and you must apply for an FIM competition license from your FIM affiliate organization in your respective country.

If there is anyone else planning to go here is our Itinerary:

Have all motorcycles and equipment to the Port of Oakland for loading by the freight forwarder by January 15th 2006.
Leave LA 2/27/06
Arrive Adelaide 3/01/06
Rent vehicles and load equipment 3/03/06
Travel to Port Augusta 3/04/06
Travel to Lake Gardiner 03/05/06

Here is the final line up of who?s going to Australia with us:

John Noonan   Taking his open wheel
Michelle Derwin   Michelle may run John?s bike for a DLRA record
Sam Wheeler
Jim Higgins   Taking his open wheel
Joe Amo   Taking their open wheel
Jon Amo
Mike Akatiff   Taking the ACK Attack

The ACK Attack Crew:
Ken Pucio
Greg Akatiff
Chuck Bullwinkle
Jim Leale
Frank Milburn
Bob Miller

Christy Akatiff
Jason Akatiff
Brenda Leale
Dick Lague (JAL Productions)
Larry Lague
Jon Lague
Jeff Lague
Jim True
Mary True

Sam Wheeler will make the initial FIM pass in the ACK Attack Streamliner with a conservative gear hopefully for a FIM record above the current 322 mph held by Easy Rider.  The crew and I felt that Sam should have a shot at getting the FIM record if even for a short time as Sam has been a pioneer of modern motorcycle streamliners and has worked for many years to achieve this goal.  After Sam John will be the only rider and we will go for broke. All of us are very grateful to Top Oil for making this Australian trip possible.

landracing

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005, 08:53:07 PM »
Mike,

What a stand up guy to let Sam Wheeler make some runs. Says alot about the team, and you as a person.... Sam will appreciate it...

Thanks Mike for giving Sam the opportunity..

Jon

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005, 09:28:19 PM »
whatever number sam puts up it will still be a hard one for john. not takin anythin away from my pal John, no one has more liner seat time then sam. he knows how to gass it.
kr

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005, 09:44:13 PM »
Quote from: 1212FBGS
whatever number sam puts up it will still be a hard one for john. not takin anythin away from my pal John, no one has more liner seat time then sam. he knows how to gass it.
kr

Kent, I get to "install" the final gearing :wink: ...the team goal is to have Sam fulfill his goal of getting an FIM record and then I attempt to get the record we leave with of course if it all works out.. [-o<

Thanks to Top Oil and Team Ack Attack! !

J

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 01:09:28 AM »
it's going to be great to have you guys out here this year. Many of us haven't witnessed an official world record attempt and it's added to the annual build-up excitement.

The once a year pilgrimage represents such a complete break from the daily grind it's become an addiction,  I  *NEED*  this trip and enjoy every second of Speed Week. The excitement starts to build months before we leave, and your adventure raised the anticipation-bar as soon the goss spread around.

Don't read any pressure to perform into that. The DLRA members are the most easy-going, great bunch of Motorsport enthusiasts I've ever come across.
Add a road trip into serious Aussie Outback, which kind of etches its soul into yours, and you guys are in for a true adventure.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll.

Regs,
PJQ
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories