Author Topic: History Quiz  (Read 18978 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: History Quiz
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2010, 10:03:37 PM »
The Phoenix was required to put skids right next to the front wheels to prevent severe damage to the course in case of a front tire failure.  They were just inboard of the tires/wheels.

The crew was told they must have a crane/wrecker heavy enough to remove the Phoenix in case of a crash or other incident when the vehicle was unable to be rolled (on its own wheels) from the course. 

Bonus points for what the engine came out of? :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2010, 08:47:49 AM »
Absolutely!  If you tell us - and we get the story corroborated by at least three verifiable sources -- we'll give you two (2) Attaboys and a punch for your T. S. card.  What more could you ask?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2010, 04:54:50 PM »
New quiz coming, It will be a motorcycle quiz and should be interesting to research. Good Luck.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »
Okay, ladies and germs -- this is about the ongoing trivia quiz -- the one featuring a historical motorcycle.

Glen reports we've had a total of THREE entries.  While I could declare a winner and move on to the next quiz -- I'll give you an elbow-joggle to get busy and try looking into the history of this bike -- and maybe a week or so from now will end the contest.  Remember that the top two entries (based on date received and accuracy of the information reported to Glen) will each receive a DVD somehow relating to land speed racing.  We've got Bonneville Wide Open, from Benn Karne, World's Fastest Motorcycle by Richard Lague, Brian Leckey's Land Speed Shootout (the '08 Shootout), and any one of Mark Brazeau's well-known DVDs (depending on which one I've got in stock). 

Also this reminder, in case you're not the winner -- if you haven't got any or all of these DVDs, please think about buying them for your library.  They're all pretty danged good -- and will help you fill in the long hours when you're not thrashing, not building, just hanging out and looking forward to the next racing event.  Or you can do what I've done -- buy a copy of 'em and donate it to your local public library.  That way you not only get some nice brownie poinits for donating something to the library -- but you get to provide a chance for the folks in your community to see just what the heck is so fascinating about this avocation of ours.

Okay -- back to the quiz, please.  Start researching and sending your answers to Glen.  All the information is to be found here:  http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=249/  opr on the home page of landracing.com.

Jon a/k/a Landracin.com's head handlebar holder.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online jl222

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
The Phoenix was required to put skids right next to the front wheels to prevent severe damage to the course in case of a front tire failure.  They were just inboard of the tires/wheels.

The crew was told they must have a crane/wrecker heavy enough to remove the Phoenix in case of a crash or other incident when the vehicle was unable to be rolled (on its own wheels) from the course. 

Bonus points for what the engine came out of? :roll:

I'm pretty sure the engine came out of a tugboat.

JL222

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:18 PM »
Hey, hey, HAY!  We had planned to put the quiz on hiatus for the duration of the racing (July through October, that is -- apologies to El Mirage, Texas, Mojave, and Loring) season, but what I think is a good idea has been offered.  Let's see if youse guys agree.

Here's the concept:  We'll offer the standard prizes for guessing the fastest speed of certain classes or styles of race vehicles at Speedweek.  (If all goes well we might also do the quiz for other events this year -- stay tuned).  I foresee fastest streamliner bike and fastest sit-on bike, and maybe fastest car over 400, fastest in the 300 mph century, and fastest car under 300.  That's a total of five contests, and that's about all of the DVDs I've got available right now to use as prizes.  We'll have you email your guesses to me (or some other judge, yet to be determined), and first correct one in each category (as determined by time/date stamp on the email) wins.  Only one prize per entrant.  Glen Barrett will be the source of the speeds -- who better to know what's what as far as vehicle speeds at an LSR event?  The winner will be the entrant that comes closest to the fastest mile speed* without going over it.  The contest will be open from whenever the heck I get it started 'til, say, the first of August -- or for sure some date before Speedweek begins.  We'll give you time to try to research the various contenders.

What's the * for?  We'll use only full flying mile speeds, NOT the exit speed -- the backdoor speed.  Any one of the miles may be considered, just like when racing for a record - except that the vehicle won't have to back up that speed with a return run.

Okay, let me hear your reactions.  I want to get this all slicked up and on the air as soon as possible.  Thanks! :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
I'm all for it!
 Can we have more than one guess?
Example: Fastest roadster. This year might see a 300 mph pass for maybe 2 or 3 of them. Can we make more than one guess on how fast each might go?
If not still okay by me, sounds like fun.  8-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline salt27

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Fastest lady = Nancy @ 205.999

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »
Fastest lady ON A BIKE = Nancy @ 205.999

Fixed it for you.......  :wink:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »
Looks like it will work. Jon will set up a tab or some way to keep it up front and active.  :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2010, 12:59:08 PM »
Dynoroom,& others, any donations are welcome for some kind of prize
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »
Mike, how do you know that it wasn't right the first time? :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com