Author Topic: History Quiz  (Read 18983 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: History Quiz
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »
Thanks for reminding me about that rule, Glen.  I think Jim and Tom will understand that they're on the sidelines this time around.

As for everyone else, though, are you getting close?  got either of the questions answered yet?  Did you see the nice photo of the Phoenix on the home page of the site -- in the little box where we've got the link to the quiz page?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2010, 10:53:23 PM »

Just sent in my answers pretty sure about #1

JL222 :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
Glen reports we've already got a few entries.  Notice that I'm not telling whether they're winners or not -- want everyone to keep digging and learning.

If we get winners soon we'll end the contest for now -- and then start up another one as soon as Glen figures out some good trivial items.  Not, of course, that there's anything trivial about lsr motorcycles.  And bikes is what we're planning on having for the next trivia contest.  And finally anyway -- if we have too many contests that end quickly of I'll run out of prizes to give away.

Oh, yeah -- when you send in your answers -- if you win we'll need a mailing address to send the prizes to.  Don't forget, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2010, 12:02:23 PM »
We have winners, they will be announced later today in the order they came in.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2010, 01:56:42 PM »
Slim
   When will the next quiz be posted? I new both answers to this one but was out of town, no computer, Shucky-darn.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
Simple answer to that, Ron, is to have you notify us when you've got the portable computer in hand.  Once that's all in order -- then we'll start the new game.

Seriously -- we haven't got a start date yet -- since this one lasted all of a few hours.  I've got a supply of prizes -- but I don't know if I've got enough for a couple of quizzes a week, so it'll likely be a few weeks -- maybe 'til mid-May.

Unless, that is, all of you get in touch with the four sponsors and tell them how much you appreciate their work and the fact that they're donating gifts for this contest.  Maybe even buy some of their stuff -- that'll make them happiest and they'll donate more gifts and then we'll all be better off, right?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »
What's a portable computer????   LOL  Sorry, I'm old and don't own one. Wasn't complaining, as a friend used to say "you snoozes you looses".

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »
I'm merging the "LSR Video" thread into this new one -- so it will be less cornfusing to folks just happening on the site and seeing the quiz and getting farkled by the pitential difference between video and plain ol' quiz.  Got it?

So -- the first winner of the trivia quiz (about the Phoenix) -- was
#1 Tom Gerardi (desotoman)  was 1st in with the correct answers.  Tom gets a DVD sent to him as soon as he sends me his mailing address.  Tom was followed by these guys:

#2 Brian Westerdahl, who therefore also gets a DVD for being second.  Brian, you need to send me a mailing addy, too.  Then there were other entries who at least get honorable mention:

#3 John Langlo
#4 Dan Warner   
#5 Chris Crow
#6 James Tone   
#7 Glenn Freudenberger  ( only answered the 1st question).

DVD prizes are donated by Brian Leckey (Shootout '08), Benn Karne (Bonneville:  Wide Open), Mark Brazeau (Speedweek '09 OR "The God Ol' Days), and Richard Lague, who produced and supplies "The World's Fastest Motorcycle".  These folks are being kind enough to offer free stuff to landracing.com -- please make sure they know you appreciate them.

Glen's now working on the next quiz, which I think we'll start next Monday, the 10th -- if he's got the stuff ready.

Thanks for your participation!

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
So what was the answers?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2010, 11:30:01 AM »
Glen's got the answers all prettied-up, but as I remember - -

The Phoenix was required to put skids right next to the front wheels to prevent severe damage to the course in case of a front tire failure.  They were just inboard of the tires/wheels.

The crew was told they must have a crane/wrecker heavy enough to remove the Phoenix in case of a crash or other incident when the vehicle was unable to be rolled (on its own wheels) from the course.

There you've got 'em. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
Slim's right.
Next quiz will be for the two wheelers. But you car guys can try as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
Wow,

I cannot believe I won, I thought for sure someone would beat me sending in the correct answers. I would like to thank the following people for making this History quiz possible, and donating prizes.

Jon (SSS), Glen Barrett, Brian Leckey, Benn Karne, Mark Brazeau, Richard Lague, and anyone else who I forgot to mention.

Thank You again,

Tom G.

PS. Jon you have a PM.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
Got it.  Your prize - a DVD - will go out as soon as Nancy wraps it and I mail it.  You should have it as soon as you do.

Thanks very much to everyone that participated - and, I hope, got to learn a bit about the history of land speed racing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2010, 04:07:04 PM »
Glen, here is a quiz for you.
     On page 41 of the May 2010 issue of "Hot Rod Deluxe" there is a picture from the 1953 Bonneville Nationals. It shows the parts of a stock Chrysler Hemi on the lawn of a motel parking lot.
     I have heard a legend of a spectator being talked into the loan of the short block out of his transportation to be used in a race car. Furthermore this spectator went on to become a long time competetor. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Jim
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:21:18 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2010, 07:48:57 PM »
AS I RECALL IT WAS JIM LiNDSLEY THAT BLEW ONE OF HIS ENGINES AND BORROWED THE ENGINE FROM A SPECTATOR AND GOT THE RECORD. I would need to do a little more research but if anyone else knows or was there it would help. Burke LeSage would know or Larry Lindsley if he is at the lakes next week end.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah