Author Topic: Serious Shop Safety Warning  (Read 6880 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Serious Shop Safety Warning
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »
I'm sure most of you work in the shop like I do. My paint and chemical locker is full of various paints, solvents and cleaners I have used on various projects. It's easy to become complacent when using these chemicals, but here's an article that should wake you up to the dangers of not being aware of what you are using...

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline bak189

Re: Serious Shop Safety Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »
Many......many thanks for posting........we all at one time use brake-cleaner......................................
Question authority.....always

HotRodV8

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »
I supervised all the vocational shops at 25 high schools and 3 Vo-Tech Centers in a large public school system and provided vocational instructors with all kinds of shop safety training.

Now retired, and knowing better, I can see myself doing the same thing Brew Dude did with the new and different chemical. Not knowing may cause you to pay a big price.

This is a good wake up call on chemical safety and reading the safety label even if you are in a hurry.

The older I get the more I read the food labels at the grocery store for health reasons. Reading workshop chemical labels is a "health" issue too. Perhaps more important?

Thanks Rchop

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »
R-22 in the atmosphere injested by a propane forklift also produces phosgene gas. You can see it as a blue haze in the air. Not sure about concentration, maybe that's been my problem for years.

Offline RICK

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
Lots of bad stories start with,,,I was in a hurry when...

Well,  I was in a hurry when I sprayed the brake clean on to my hands and gave them a quick wipe with a shop towel. I then picked up my battery powered Makita drill driver, pulled the trigger and PUUF! My hand was ON FIRE! I dropped the drill and wiped it with my other hand and ZOWIE! Now they're BOTH ON FIRE! A couple of quick shakes and a sissy scream and it was out and all over. It was a freak thing that happened SO fast, it didn't have time to burn me,,,,just stain my trousers.

RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:30 PM »
I did the same thing while welding up the body seams on an E Type Jaguar that was being built up for road racing. I started welding a couple of days after the cleaning and almost immediately felt like my lungs were being ripped out. Luckily there were no lasting consequences. I don't even think of using brake cleaner for anything that's going to be welded now. Life's too valuable.

Pete

Offline jdeleon

• DELEON AUTO ACCESSORIES
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:24:38 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!!  I 've had some pretty sickly feeling days and difficult breathing after welding freshly cleaned parts.  Maybe that where I got my dry cough that never goes away.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 09:33:04 PM »
WOW,, might explain what happend to me this last summer---nothing like this example, just a very mild but presistant lung sensation l now have!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »
For cleaning prior to welding either lacquer thinner or acetone work well and leave no residue. Just let them dry before you start welding and keep the containers well away from the process. That extra flickering you see out the side of your helmet is probably the rag you used to apply the cleaning solution and then left on the bench. Guess how I know?

Pete

Offline Geo

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »
I read this on the H.A.M.B. site a while back.  Just getting the electricity in the garage to the point I can practice welding after 25 years away from it.  Just gas and stick many years ago.  I picked up a cheep wire welder and never could get it to work.  Now I have a real welder and a primo feed from the power plant.

So I weld one afternoon and it does not take long to get smokey.  I had the door open but...  So I am thinking about venting the inside of the car while welding.  I have a blower so I wheel it out and have a hard time keeping the draft from ruining the welds (still practice) and making them look like shit (just checking the word catcher). 

I also get my half mask respirator out with the activated carbon filters.  Wow this works well.  It all fits under the welding helmet. Still smoke gets in your eyes.

Well the light goes off so I start cruising the web and ebay.  Found a couple of bits and soon will have a full mask (like fire fighters) with a hose to a large charcoal filter (4 in x 12 in cylinder).  I will need a fire proof sleeve for the hose and I think I will be able to hook it to an ice chest (cool box) in the summer.  Now to figure out standing while welding (wheels and headers) and sitting in the car while welding (on the cage) where to place the canister.  For mobile I can hang it from me backpack or waist of course it could sit on the workbench.  Sitting in the car I would want the hose to run outside.

Mask came so now I need to find an old filter (or new) to use for attaching the hose.  Charcoal canister coming.  I will let you know how it works out.

Geo

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 10:59:18 PM »
Wow, that's what that funny smell is! Thanks for posting this. You may have saved someones life!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

HotRodV8

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
Geo - -

IMO, you are not going through too much trouble with your mask respirator. When I build my workshop and start welding again, after 40 years away from gas and stick, I think I'll follow your example.

McRat

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 11:17:13 PM »
BTW, the newer brake cleaners are marked NON-CHLORINATED and come usually in a green can.  These are much safer, and the only ones I buy.  Nothing works as sweet as brake cleaner IMO as a general purpose cleaner, so I'm not giving it up.

IIRC, I posted a similiar warning here last year, but it bears repeating.  We have a diesel hotrod board and sent out a mass email to all the members to warn them.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 11:25:22 PM »
rChop, thanks for posting this!
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 01:40:09 AM »
Its good that you posted this and I was lucky enough to read it.  I have been too casual with chemicals for too long.  I could have easily made the same mistake.