Author Topic: 1350cc Pushrod bike  (Read 51929 times)

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
Re: 1350cc Pushrod bike
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2010, 12:40:08 AM »
Jeeess, What a major setback! I really feel for you and sure don't want to be in your situation. I've been there and after 3 rebuilds in less than 500 miles I know what long time it can take to get the spirit back. I sure hope you're not alone like me and have someone that can bury their right foot in your nobler parts once in a while to get you in gear again. I think it's safe to say that all your forum followers we'll be cheering you along as good as we can. Just keep us on line. :|

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2010, 02:13:20 AM »
Jim, that matter of connecting two or three engines seems so simple but it has been a major headache for a lot of expert builders.  Your bike build diary has been very educational and I hope you eventually get the big monster sorted. 

Offline JimL

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2010, 07:45:16 PM »
I learned that the problem was my design..... no dampening (cushion) between the cranks.  All was well until I got RPM and throttle added together....then the big wide teeth on the crank ate the first teeth they could get at (the engines turned the number one basket gear into a "cushion").  When the power pulses were small (such as idle), there wasn't enough energy to hammer the teeth over.

There will be other ways to skin this cat....but for now, I'll see if the rear engine survived enough to get the bike to Speed Week.

....heading for the shop :wink:......JimL

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2010, 12:07:50 AM »
I dunno if it will apply in your case, but coupling 2 motors is a tricky thing.  When Don Vesco built the twin Yamaha 650's with his 750cc kits on them the thought was to have them run as a 4 cylinder with alternate firing, front and rear.  The first run on the dyno with custom gearing between the motors the custom gears shattered.  The reason turned out that the motors were causing the gears to shake as they went from power to compression, constantly working against each other, if I am explaining this properly.  The answer (I believe from Russ Collins) was to run the engines as one so they pull together without working the coupling mechanism against itself.  The gears were replaced with sprockets and chain and the unit held together......for a while.  The next problem was getting the chain cooled as the next run on the Yamaha dyno, the chain got hot and disintegrated before the motors could be shut down.  It was running a turbo and alcohol and was about 180 hp at 5000 or so (if memory serves correctly).  The TX700 race motors became available at that time so the development of the twins ended.   
Just a thought.  Sorry to hear your plight! :-(

Matt Guzzetta

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2010, 02:04:32 AM »
Fluid coupling?

Offline JimL

« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2010, 12:41:57 AM »
Matt.....thank you!  That sounds exactly like what I did.  When I pulled it all apart I found every single motor plate bolt backed out, oil leaking everywhere, and the 3/8" shouldered bolts (with Nylock nuts) had come loose enough that the plates and gears were moving!  I think the first failure was a forward trans plate bolt into the #1 coupling gear.

I've got the rear engine about ready to go back in, with a standard primary cover and a Barnett clutch.  The damage was contained to the front two coupling gears and the forward crank gear.  I've already added tubes and mounts to the frame (ditched the motor plate), converted back to stock oil system, found my internal water leak, and got my friend started on the case plug to fill the hole I'd made for the #3 coupling gear.  I'm hoping to have it running late tomorrow; plan to run APS-PG-750 if it doesn't break again.  If it breaks, I have my freshly built 500cc engine ready to plug in, which would run against my own record.

Even before reading your post, I was thinking that pairing them as a V4, with pistons moving together, will be the best plan.  I'm pretty sure the right-side engine can have it's crank installed backwards, putting the drive splines facing.  I'll make a cushioned coupler (similar to a boat outdrive piece) and take the drive via belt to a Harley clutch and transmission.  I'll probably put the intakes in the exhaust side, on the right engine, just as Honda did when they used the 500cc engine for a flat-tracker.  It'll be easier to bend exhaust around, between the engines, than bend carbs.

All I need now is a winning lottery ticket....JimL

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2010, 12:46:10 AM »
Jim it was good to see you and chat a little about your project. I wish you the best of luck getting a running bike to Bonneville this year.

Scott

Offline JimL

« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2010, 02:30:44 AM »
This might work....APS-PG-750....

fixed the cases, oil leaks, water leaks, welded in tubes and mounts, got it running tonight.  Try this link:
http://home.earthlink.net/~leinfam/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/mov07875.mpg

I still have to patch the holes in the fairing (where the other exhaust were), mount the screen, spray some paint, finish building the MPS-PG-500 bike.  It's ok....we've got days to go!!

JimL

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2010, 03:23:42 AM »
WOW,
One great build with ingenious ideas one after the other, no problems, only solutions.

Appears that the Salt Fever is starting to kick into high gear.

Best of Luck,

raycwheeler  usa
Ray C Wheeler

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2010, 07:25:34 AM »
Sounds wicked Jim. Have fun at Speedweek. You deserve it. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2010, 08:23:35 AM »
What an incredible build, a lot of guys would have thrown in the towel the minute the motor came apart, you just picked up the pieces and kept working toward the ultimate goal of making it to SpeedWeek.
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
No regrets

Offline JimL

« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2010, 10:25:01 AM »
To fill in the repair story a little bit, here's a pic of the aluminum plate used to fill the hole in the case.  This was the hole I made for the #3 coupling gear (just forward of the rear crankshaft).  Odd fit....has .030" taper thickness from top to bottom (that happens when you file parts by hand).

Thanks for all the kind words and support.....hope to have some time to visit a little, this year.  Last year I had to "in and out" with just two runs. :-P

JimL

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2010, 11:27:59 AM »
Wow, just Wow! When I read this morning that you had the bike running my jaw dropped. Your drive and tenacity are incredible. Best of luck and have fun.
                                                                          :cheers:
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
A problem is an opportunity.  A mess is a pile of opportunities.  Well done, turning problems into a "rapid learning phase." 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »
Very glad to see you figured out how to made lemonade out of lemons.

Love the excellent build and your determination.

See you on the salt.

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569