Author Topic: 1350cc Pushrod bike  (Read 52125 times)

Offline JimL

Re: 1350cc Pushrod bike
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2010, 01:57:26 AM »
This is becoming a high density bike.  Tonight was the 3rd (and final) refitting of the battery boxes.  There is 18 feet of 3/4" water hose running through this rig.....may not even need the radiators  :roll:.  The Dedenbear water pump lives under the batteries, between the engines.  The water lines are routed "Indy" style (x-flowed).

Throttles are working well, thanks to the cable package from Barnett.  Need two more velocity stacks.
Last years tank is reworked to clear the handlebars.

Gotta' keep moving.

Regards, JimL

Offline hitz

« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2010, 09:54:40 AM »
JimL,
  This has been a a mass of very interesting and nice work in a short time.
  Thank you for posting. Hope to see and hear it some day. Bonneville this year?
harv

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2010, 10:55:46 AM »
Jeez Jim they used to use the CX range for dispatch riders around London I dont reckon there is enough room left in there for a sandwich never mind a package.You really have made a stunning bike there!!

Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline JimL

« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
Thanks fellows....I have pre-entered under 1581 (Bike).  I really need to get it done, because I robbed parts from last years single engine bike and there's no way to get that one back together in time!

JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2010, 10:53:12 PM »
A few pics of the lower tailpiece.  I still have to section the upper, to make it match the width of the lower (at the the back; see bottom picture).  The upper tailpiece is pushed out at the radiators, to allow good airflow from the fans.  The rear tire cutout is set pretty close, to reduce the amount of air dragged into the internal fender.

- You can see the planned rear tire spat (below the belly pan, ahead of the rear tire).  Another try at reducing drag.  This will be quick removable to get the beast on and off a trailer.

- The radiators will be baffled to the inside of the upper tailpiece skin, to prevent hot air return through the cores.

- Square cutouts in lower are access to chain adjustors....these will get removable covers to help the sealing.

Regards, JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2010, 12:23:34 AM »
OK....the answer to the oil pump question:  YES!!  One pump pressurizes both engines easily.  I used my removeable access plate, and a modified pump sprocket (big nut welded on), which allowed me to run the pump with my air drill.  I kept adding oil until I'd found all my pressure leaks (left a few lines loose in the excitement) and the pump quit sucking air.  With 2 gallons of oil in the engines, it maintains 40 PSI with the air drill anywhere from half speed to max (I can see the bypass open up and flow oil).  With the air drill turning over slow, it makes 5-10 psi... I doubt I can make it idle that slow.

I had a few weld pinhole leaks, on my primary drive cover and my home-made deep sumps, which I fixed successfuly with FIPG.  I had to lay the bike over, to get the oil away from the pinholes, and then blew brake cleaner through the holes so I could fix them.

It could have been worse!!  Now it's time to mount up the electrics and get this mess fired up.

JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2010, 02:51:29 AM »
Bike fired up tonight and ran well for a few minutes.  It broke a tooth on the forward basket gear, which went through the front crankshaft, blew the forward trans carrier out of the cases (breaking the cases), and the forward cylinder quite running.  Damage went through all the gear train, and hit the rear engine as well.

I'm hoping to prepare this chassis to run as a single engine at some time in the future; I still have my 500cc engine from last year, and I think I can save enough parts to build a 750 class engine on my one remaining crankcase.  Thanks for the interest and ideas over the past year.

Regards, JimL 

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2010, 09:22:38 AM »
Jim,
I know that many of us have shared your enthusiasm during this project. I know I was excited to read that the "bike fired up tonight and ran well for a few minutes". You aren't alone in your disappointment that it expired soon after.

Your plans to move forward, when others might despair, indicate the volume of your character. I hope you get it sorted and bring your ingenuity back to the salt soon.

Cheers,
Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2010, 09:25:08 AM »
Dam Jim that really bites.

After all your hard work and ingenuity I hate to see you have to sideline/shelve this project.

If you need xtra engines check the Las Vegas craigslist as I saw a couple of the CXs on there recently.

View this as a bit on water on the course that WILL dry up!

Keep the faith.

Offline joea

« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »
Jim, i love following your project, and anxious to see the saga
evolve......

as evidenced by your accomplishment to date, you WILL succeed...!

Joe :)

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »
Damn that sucks!!  Was sure fun to watch this build as you were doing it.  Hope to see it one day resurrected.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2010, 01:41:48 PM »
Jim,
Like everyone that has been following your build I am very sorry to hear of the gear failure and its domino affect on the rest of the engine combination. Hope you perserver and get this thing beaten into a racer. Like everyone else I want to see it on the salt.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2010, 02:03:34 PM »
Keep on Keeping on its got to be done I want to see this beast on the salt!!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
Jim, I have followed your build from day one. I am so sorry that it broke before you got to race it. Keep up the good work. Keep us posted!!

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline k.h.

« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2010, 04:06:47 PM »
Looks like you have room in the chassis for an electric motor and batteries.  Just a thought.  2011!
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut