Author Topic: 1350cc Pushrod bike  (Read 52034 times)

Offline JimL

Re: 1350cc Pushrod bike
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2010, 11:51:43 PM »
Got the primary case all "flanged" today, so I started on the seat/tailpiece frame tubes, as well as streamlining fit up.  The front fender is going to require some massaging, and shortening in front.  It will have to wait until the front end is fully loaded (engines, batteries, stuff).

The tail piece will have lower sections added, and will probably have the radiators mounted about as seen in this photo.  There's one radiator propped on the pile of boards, under the rear lower side of the tailpiece.  They will fit flush, with fans blowing outward (both sides = 2 radiators).  This requires full enclosure inside the tailpiece, for the rear tire, and full enclosure under the tail peice sides and rear area.

I'm looking real hard at mounting the front fender to the fork upper tubes, and letting the front wheel have about 1-1.5" travel inside the fender.  I can stay within the 1.75" fender-tire rule, and do a better job closing the fairing-upper fender gap.  This would also allow the fender sides to be cut, braced, and positioned to almost close the gaps to the fairing edges.  The front of the fairing will be completely closed, ahead of the engines, because the radiators won't fit up front.

Thanks, Kent, for the fast work!!

Regards, JimL
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:53:14 PM by JimL »

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2010, 12:35:47 AM »
 :cheers: Now that is what I would call,,,,,SSSSSmmmmmooooottttthhhh!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2010, 01:18:47 AM »
Looks nice Jim!

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2010, 02:55:26 AM »
The bike looks great Jim!
This continues to be an exciting project to follow.
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline JimL

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »
Had to post a pic of the REALLY COOL clutch the folks at Barnett put together.  It adds an extra friction and steel, and has great clutch springs.  I realize most of you have seen plenty of neat stuff, but this is my first ever Barnett clutch!

Big thanks to Mike Taylor; pretty exciting to have real "race" stuff to put in my project....and it's not even homemade by me!!  Between AirTech, Web Cam, CP, Noonan, Rick Kemp Heads, and Barnett...(and a patient wife) I'm having a blast with this strange build.

Smiling tonight, JimL   :-)

Offline JimL

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2010, 10:39:31 PM »
Very difficult radiator arrangement...still have to cut the holes out of the tailpiece, and then make a lower tailpiece.  It will take some tricky ducting....using a fan in each side of the tail piece, drawing air from the pocket in the leg cutout.  Radiators will need upper outlets moved to the top, and a little additional work, plus a header tank above the front engine.

More to come....
JimL

Offline bak189

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »
As I have noted many times, for power transfer be it cables and/or clutches Barnett products is the way to go.  Mike Taylor (owner and president) of Barnett has been into M/C and sidecar racing his whole live
For many years Mike raced as my passenger in the annual Pikes Peak Hill Climb, he also roadraced sidecars
and rode as passenger at Bonneville with Larry Coleman (when BNI allowed passengers back in the 1980's).
In addition Barnett has been our main sponsor for our LSR effort for over 35 years........Many thanks,
Mike!!!!

Good luck with your 1350c.c. Pushrod bike
Question authority.....always

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2010, 02:47:45 PM »
Jim,
Have you ever considered going with a water tank(s) instead of the radiators? You are probably going to need some weight any way over the rear wheel, 10-15 gallons of water might be better than the radiators and their associated aero drag.

Just a thought.

Rex

You are banging this cat! I am merely holding its head!
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JimL

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2010, 12:20:08 AM »
Well folks....sometimes a bad idea goes REALLY bad.  I was crankin' along, welding up tubes, bending pipe, hanging radiators....figuring I could fiberglas up some cool ducts to get air from the fans to the cores.

Then I noticed I couldn't adjust the rear wheel all the way back and still have any suspension.

OOOOPS!!   thank goodness for hand-held air powered hacksaws, and good bi-metal blades....

Photos below shows the radiators moved into the sides of the tailpiece (where I've got aobut 7" of depth).  I'll be able to put the fans right onto the radiators without a bunch of extra work.

I'm also going to be able to close up the bottom of the tailpiece, reduce the holes in the sides of the tailpiece (for hot air relase), and keep the weight a little farther forward (remembering the "issues" the KZ1000 had in CHP service, which led to the articulated tail box with shock absorber damping).

Rex....I will try to have a few gallons of water on board, if I can find enough real estate.  I still have to build an oil tank under the engines (I'm forced to use a low mounted "wet sump" because I ran out of money and ideas to run a true dry sump.)  I also have to make room for 2 batteries (one for starters and fans, and one for ignition).

Regards, JimL

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2010, 01:09:46 PM »
Jim,

Awesome build...  :cheers:

John

Offline JimL

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2010, 02:03:29 AM »
Thanks for the continued interest, fellas.....tonight I made a hole in the engine, which led to the chain getting hooked on.  I also started making the closure box that fits into the engine, for the sprocket.  The pics tell the story, showing the sprocket / flywheel relationship, and then the opening angles for the sprocket.

JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2010, 02:23:52 AM »
Chain drive shaft is mounted, seals are in the carriers, shaft uses 1.25" sleeves to hold the sprocket in place (and keep the shaft in position while keeping the oil in the engine).  The seals are 1.25" transmission input shaft seals, good enough for my 5000 rpm maximum countershaft speed.  The sheet metal case looks a little tacky, but it's solid and fits tight...seals well, and clears the flywheel by .003".

Clutch basket reinforcement ring is made, and Barnett clutch and stiff springs installed (considerable increase in disc area, due to extra disks and plate).  The ring is .75" wide x. 375" thick T6061.  I still have to mount it to the basket ears.

Pistons are in both engines.....just about ready to get them measured and sealed.  Still working on the oil system, intake manifolds, exhaust, and various bits.

Regards, JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »
OK....coupling gears are sealed in, engines are together (heads not fully torqued, will be removed to get measured and sealed).  Oil lines figured out as shown below, made the internal connectors for oil pump feed to the remote filter and rear trans countershaft oil supply.

Building the oil sump this week (with an electric headting element), then intake manifolds, headers and megaphones, mount coils, batteries (3), water tanks, shifter, pegs, all that stuff.  Radiators are rebuilt, and new SPAL fans are ready to mount.  Soon it will be time to get cranking on modify work on all the fiberglass.

Regards, JimL

Offline Crosley

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2010, 11:54:50 PM »
Interesting stuff...  I watch your progress.

Last week  I was passed by a guy on a CX 500  bike.  Looked restored , very nice shape
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2010, 02:57:26 AM »
Jim, it's looking better all the time. Me thinks you're going to have a lot of fun! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete