Author Topic: The color of the car ?  (Read 6164 times)

Offline holland

• New folks
The color of the car ?
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »
     Every time I read the rule book I find something new. I have a all white 77 Trans Am. Rule book states white, silver, or unpaintedvehicles shall show a contrasting color on the body. I can understand very well why this is, but I am asking for suggestions as to how others have complied with this. Another question is what is the difference between the class- Classic Production _ / CPRO and Classic Unblown Gas Coupe - / CGC.  Is it that word ( coupe) that I don't understand?  Last - why don't cars with blowers go a hole lot faster than those without.  Isn't spell check cool!

McRat

Re: The color of the car ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »
They don't want pure white.  Stickers, big numbers etc, will make the car visible at a distance.

If you ain't going faster by supercharging, you ain't tryin'.   :evil:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 03:42:28 PM »
Don't use whitewalls, either.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:10:50 PM »
White with contrasting color:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline holland

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
   Stan Back     I'm probably going to regret asking this as It might show my IQ, but are you serious about the white walls? And 4-barrel Mike I see a white truck with 3 big numbers, that works for me. That's a nice truck, how did you pick that truck as your project?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »
The difference between Production and Gas coup (they don't really let coups run anymore. More like sedans) is in Gas class you may have an engine that the car never came with. Say a 392 Chrysler in a '49 ford. Or a 396 BB Chevy in a '55 Chevy car. In Pro you could have a 350 small block or even a 400 small block since '55 Chevys came with small blocks. But the Ford would have to be a flathead. Quick change rear ends will do the same thing. It's pretty well spelled out in the rule book. If you can find LSR white wall tires, run 'em.

McRat

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 05:22:25 PM »
Nothing new, but don't use whitewalls/RWL's for performance applications.  The white rubber is a different compound and it makes the tires weaker.  This is why you'll never see ww/rwl's on cop cars or sportscars.

Offline holland

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
McRat  That is something I never heard of, thanks!!!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
I have been timing at Bonneville for 25 years and we are 1000 feet from the courses, We cannot see white or other light colored vehicles until they are right in front of the timing trailer. I don't care how big the numbers are we can't read them that far a way, the starters give us the numbers when they leave the starting line. The other thing is the emergency people need to see your vehicle as well. If it's on fire or smoking and you turn off course they are hard to find even for your crew. Think about it. the areas we run on are up to 13 miles long and cover over a mile in width.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

McRat

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »
That's why everyone should run diesels, as they mark their turf while underway, like a dog in a park...   :-D

A few more stickers, and there won't be any white left on our truck. :evil:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
You'll have to go a ways to beat SSS.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
I don't know, Glenn.  Lee Kennedy hasn't had a problem finding our roadster the last two time we ran it.  Getting hard to see outta with those damn stickers.

Stan

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 03:15:59 PM »
SATIN BLACK  is a color  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Hope Glen can see this coming at 200

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »
 :-o  :-o Charles!  You'd have to be REAL hard of hearing to not see THAT!   Beautiful!    Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
Thanks Crow,

I am sure you noticed the off white background ?  My designer was trying to see what the car might look like sitting on the salt.

I was hoping Ray or Pork Pie,, could photo shop that pic onto the real salt background ???
(with the mountains in the background,,, like one of the ones of Hooley's car and others taken last few years)

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com