Author Topic: K S Pittman  (Read 10168 times)

Offline GH

K S Pittman
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
Lavone Pittman called me last evening to tell me that KS is not doing well at all, Hospice is coming and that is not a good sign. He is in a Veterans home in Mt. Vernon Missouri, he was an A/GS racer in the 50's and beyond.

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Re: K S Pittman
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Lavone Pittman called me last evening to tell me that KS is not doing well at all, Hospice is coming and that is not a good sign. He is in a Veterans home in Mt. Vernon Missouri, he was an A/GS racer in the 50's and beyond.

A great name out of the past.  One of the famous Gas class racers of all time....

Our prayers are with him..

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline TINY

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
K S my freind my prayers are with you.I spent many great times wih you when on tour even tho I was with Stone Woods & Cook.  A freind always Tiny

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 01:54:24 PM »
Watched many races with the Gasser bunch. Always a showman and hard racer. Our thoughts are with the KS and his family. :-(
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline GH

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »
Tiny, are you the one in the old photo taken at Wayne Artegas garage in St. Louis Missouri back in the 50s or 60s, along with Doug Cook, KS and Wayne?

Offline TINY

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
Yes that is me.Them were great days.

Offline Johnrex

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »
I didn't know that you were the "Tiny" who toured with Doug. I'm John Hellmuth, Wayne Arteaga's race car partner. We'll have to get another at Speed Week this year. I've been coming to Speed Week for the last 20 years but didn't know you were that "Tiny". I remember a lot of night up in Alton, Illinois!
ps. There is a great article on KS written by Ron Crable in the latest issue (#20) of "Rod & Kulture",

John

Offline TINY

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:50:10 PM »
John grat to here from you.I will definately see you at speed week.I drive the penske truck for SCTA with all the preoduct and the i am on steward out in middle.Ask Mike Cook and he will know where I am .

Offline Johnrex

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 08:55:09 AM »
Great. I'll see you then.

John

Offline GH

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:28:09 AM »
I looked up the photo in Waynes garage in Don Montgomerys Gasser book. Look me up at speedweek also. I raced a 41 Willys in the 90's. I took KS for a ride in the pits at the first NHRA Midwest Reunion at National Trails Raceway. I am running the same short block in my Studebaker that I ran in the Willys.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:02:42 AM by GH »

Offline Johnrex

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Gary, I'll definitely look you up. A common friend, Allen Ferrell now lives close to me in Mountain Home, Arkansas. In fact, I live in your backyard in Flippin, Ar., only about 120 miles from Springfield.  I usually attend the NSRA Mid America Nationals around Memorial Day at the Empire fair grounds. Maybe I'll see you there.
Old gasser guys need to stick together. I have a good collection of photos from the 60s that you would enjoy. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you some photos of your car at Speed Week 2009:  jrmhellmuth@aol.com
Hopefully your turbos will hold together this year so you can set a new record.
ps  How is the Buick engine coming along?

John

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 01:48:06 PM »
Johnrex,

Don't be stingy with the photos...we want to see them too!  :-D

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline GH

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 08:31:41 AM »
John, I guess I thought you lived in St. Louis. The turbos will hold together if I don't smash the oil pan up against the oil pump pickup and loose oil pressure. We are going to start putting the Buick engine together in a couple of weeks.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 01:02:22 PM »
Just heard we lost K.S. last nite......  :cry:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 01:26:36 PM »
Another pioneer gone. RIP Big KS :-(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:44:29 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah