Author Topic: oil down  (Read 14900 times)

Offline WildBro

Re: oil down
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »
I don't know the exact length -- but it was from somewhere like half-track at Maxton to well past the lights -- maybe 3/4 mile, maybe more.  Ask Todd Dross -- he's got photos.

I'll have to pull up the run log, but it wasn't 1/2 track.  :roll:  It was towards the end and I didnt realize there was oil until I stopped on the turn around at long shut-down.  I just thought my up-pipe blew off the plenum again.
Run was a 228mph naked, so had to be after the 3/4 mark
Sorry again everyone  :oops:

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline White Monster

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 07:49:22 AM »
I think Bill is correct, I recall it was from about 3/4 mile marker to long shut-down turnout.
 :cry:
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline jreken

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 08:55:57 AM »
It comes down to racers from the pits to the starting line putting down their wrenches and getting to the spill. Yes Bill, you were there right away. We have plenty "litter" (most of the time) spreaders,  brooms , shovels and blowers . What we need are bodies! No one (me) should have to scold people in the pits and at the starting line to help . I feel like I'm back teaching (32yrs) again.  Nooooooo!!!!

Rice hulls???? Do you want me hacking goobers on the timing computer??

See you from the tower!

John

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 02:05:19 PM »
While you are right we need to address the clean up, prevention (as best as can be) is the answer.  Motorcycles have an enclosed bottom fairing (required at most club road racing events and up).  If you are running naked at least you can blanket the bottom end.  Cars/trucks have a diaper.  It will not stop an oil down, but will limit the amount.  I personally am thankful for the roadracing rule.  I picture framed cylinder #3 and #4 at a Wera event at Rockingham headed into NASCAR #1 (showing my age here).  Rod came through the bottom.  95% of the oil stayed in the fairing and I coasted to a stop uninjured, except for the wallet.  I'm sure the guy's behind me were happy also.  Just my 1 and 1/2 cents worth.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
 Just somemore randome thoughts

When you grind the kitty litter it not only gets up the oil it becomes more absorbent. So after the kitty litter is down . The next thing to do is push it along the oil slick . as it grinds into a fine powder it just moves along cleaning till it looks dark.

Yes an oil catch pan or blanket is a definite good idea. Keeping oil off the track in the first place is optimal. Remember the track is very old concrete and we need to protect it any way we can.
 I don't want to start making rules. Please don't start that.

If you have double the original horsepower of you vehicle car,truck or bike.Think about an oilcatch . For the good of man kind and everyones safety.

I was also thinking about treating an oil down like a grade school fire drill. All hands on deck kinda thing. Maybe blow a horn or something and everyone will know what to do . If you have a car with an empty seat pick up some one and drive slowly to the spill.( No riding in truck beds or speeding)
 Just to get the people power mobilized.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline desotoman

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »

Rice hulls???? Do you want me hacking goobers on the timing computer??

See you from the tower!

John

LOL. Nope, just trying to help.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 04:34:05 PM »
Rice hull ash for oildowns I think was a secret at Lions drag strip  . In 1965 we were there and my friend broke his motor . I asked about the white powder they were putting down . The guy said , well it won't hurt , you fellows are from the east coast and gave me the tag from the bag . I gave the tag to the manager at Atco and it spread from there . They used to use dry cement at the Indy 500 . Rice hull ash blows off the asphalt easily easily and is organic .

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 04:53:43 PM »
I mentioned Rice Hull Ash in post #13. Yes Lions was the 1st and if I remember correctly we got the info on it from a local oil company. Great stuff and like I said don't get it in your eyes.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 09:38:43 AM »
at Lions drag strip  . In 1965 we were there and my friend broke his motor .

That's cool 8-)

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 12:47:57 PM »
First off, thanks to John Eken for the push along spreader that we used to put out litter. The hopper is small and I thought about bringing down one of the larger ones we use for our horse paddocks that is still small enough to attach a handle for hand pushing: but they broadcast too wide an area. The one John supplied (I heard it was John) spread an almost perfect car tire width.
Second, the idea of folks bringing litter or oil dry is outstanding. Not only does it take time to go get more cat litter in Laurinburg, we pretty much "clean" the stores out on an unfortunate saturday. We could even start a SCAM fund - Scott (Griswold) Concrete Ashtray Maintenance fund.
Third, prevention and fines? One thing about being at the end of the course is usually being one of the first to the broken vehicle and driver/rider. The vast majority of the time, the competitor is nearly as upset about what has happened to the track as what has happened to their machine. Personel well-being as we all know is a very distant third.
Yes we need everyone who can shuffle out there dancin' and God bless particularly those of you I see in leathers and driving suits - yeah you have a more immediate interest in a clean track,. but in those clothes! Special love to anyone bringing water. Please also remember that some folks not shuffling may not be able to or may have been weed eating or some other noxious duty all day friday.
I'll shut up for now
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 01:16:23 PM »
Well I started it so count me in for a bag  :lol:
I will also be there Thursday afternoon with weed eater in hand.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 01:48:42 PM »
At SCTA we have 10 5 large mouth fuel cans we fill with the oil dry. It's easy for oil spills and clean up. You can buy a pallet of oil dry from most NAPA stores. The starting line should a 5 gal container of oil dry and a couple of brooms and waste oil dry barrels as well. The emergency trailer we have for SCTA carries a lot of support equipment and handles most clean ups on the track. Joe and Keith have seen our trailer. There is even a knock down car Dolly to remove vehicles from the course in case of flats or locked up rear ends etc. Putting it together takes a lot of thought and time to make sure everything has a place so you can always find it when needed.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline runt13

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 08:00:19 PM »
ok, i was out hunting today and ran across a seeder that is 8 feet wide and looks like it needs a home, i have to take a minute and see if this will work, but if it does i will see if it can spread kitty liter / speedy dry. and if it does, its going to maxton.

what is the record for a grandy seeder anyway!
who would have guessed it would take so long to go so fast for such a short time?

2012 Wilmington mile
April meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record, 132.601mph

September meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 139.915mph [bump]
p/pp-1650/4 record 142.364 mph
p/pp-2000/4 record 140.009 mph
p/pp-3000/4 record 144.511 mph

2013 Wilmington mile
July meet,
m/pg-1650/4 record 137.278
m/pg-2000/4 record 136.695

Sept meet,
p/pp-1350/4 record 141.1986 [bump]

2014  Wilmington mile
May meet
p/pp-1340/4 record 142.5855 [bump]

Offline jreken

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 08:26:12 AM »
Guys....... Slow down, take a deep breath!!!  First, don't do ,buy or bring anything without contacting Keith or Joe. We have limited storage so an 8ft wide spreader might be overkill. Our spills, at most, are inches not feet wide. The spreader I found and Joe bought holds one bag of litter and ECTA can supply the litter. We've gone entire meets without using a bag. As I said before, getting the "people power"  (being PC) to respond when an oil down occurs is the most important. It's been gratifying to see the the numbers of "shufflers" increasing over the last several meets. Keep it up!

See you from the tower!

John

Offline t russell

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »
Guys....... Slow down, take a deep breath!!!  First, don't do ,buy or bring anything without contacting Keith or Joe. We have limited storage so an 8ft wide spreader might be overkill. Our spills, at most, are inches not feet wide. The spreader I found and Joe bought holds one bag of litter and ECTA can supply the litter. We've gone entire meets without using a bag. As I said before, getting the "people power"  (being PC) to respond when an oil down occurs is the most important. It's been gratifying to see the the numbers of "shufflers" increasing over the last several meets. Keep it up!

See you from the tower!

John
x2
terry