Author Topic: gear vendors J or P?  (Read 8754 times)

Offline ulrace

gear vendors J or P?
« on: January 19, 2010, 12:20:57 PM »
Planning to use one with a 4 speed st10. Has anyone used the earlier j type with success? we have about 900 crank hp. Can featherfoot pretty good. couldn't believe the costy for a new P type but that's racing...

Offline Bob Drury

Re: gear vendors J or P?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »
  I see them on craigslist all the time for around a grand.  Gear Vendors charges a flat rate $700. for a total rebuild.  Worst case scenario is you might have to buy adaptor for your trans.  You don't need the electronics, just buy a three buck toggle switch to shift it..................  Don't screw around, get the "P" and buy the bit sump if it doesn't already have it...................Bob.    p.s. I run one in my tow vehicle, not the race car....................
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
If you are going to run it LSR there are some mods they like to do to lessen the drag.   I run one  and LOVE it

don't know the difference  I will go look if you need me to---I run over 900 hp through it
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 07:30:42 PM »
We used to run one, but it kept breaking on us.  They told us it would hold 2000hp, when we broke it I don't think we were making that number back then.  They did fix it for free though. :cheers:

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »
What are the ratios?

How much power to turn one?

thanks,
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 09:30:35 PM »
What are the ratios?

thanks,

I believe the ratio is 22% overdrive or mutiply by .78. For example .78 x 2.5 rear gear = 1.95.
  The power to turn should be the same as any auto trans. Should hold 900 hp no sweat.
  Our problem was the clutch not holding all the power we make and slipping, nothing broke, and Gear Vendors
  always tried to make inprovements at no cost to us. Rick Johnson was great to work with.
  We have the new rebuilt unit for sale for $1200.

JL222

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »
Thank you.
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline SHughes

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:25:50 PM »
What are the ratios?

thanks,

I believe the ratio is 22% overdrive or mutiply by .78. For example .78 x 2.5 rear gear = 1.95.
  The power to turn should be the same as any auto trans. Should hold 900 hp no sweat.
  Our problem was the clutch not holding all the power we make and slipping, nothing broke, and Gear Vendors
  always tried to make inprovements at no cost to us. Rick Johnson was great to work with.

JL222

Still have that for sale??

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 10:09:18 PM »
What are the ratios?

thanks,

JL222

Still have that for sale??

Yes we still have it and it hasn't been run since rebuilt, you will have to adapt it to whatever trans you have,Gearvendors has several styles. We have a shorty glide adapter on it but we removed the bearing bushing And the splined conector for a 400 style output shaft goes with it. For $300 more we have a Doug Nash 2+2 quick change trans that we originaly adapted it to with two extra 1st gear ratios but it needs a new input shaft because we twisted it off. they are not to expensive though, and super easy to work on trans. We ran this setup for many years with no problem with trans gears.

JL222
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:30:37 PM by jl222 »

Offline SHughes

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:50:56 AM »
I plan to run one behind a six speed in a diesel pick-up.  So I would need all new adapters, I've been looking at their website, just dont' have the $3600 for a new unit.

Lets see how tax returns go.  LOL

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »
I plan to run one behind a six speed in a diesel pick-up.  So I would need all new adapters, I've been looking at their website, just dont' have the $3600 for a new unit.

They might mount the overdrive seperatly [ using two driveshafts] you would just need the front cover for that type of installation
and brackets to the frame.
 Hoping to get a tax return for a change also.

JL222

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »
22% overdrive or mutiply by .78

Which is it?
1.22 OD = .82 engine speed
.78 = 1.28

Offline desotoman

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 09:35:59 PM »

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline SHughes

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »

They might mount the overdrive seperatly [ using two driveshafts] you would just need the front cover for that type of installation
and brackets to the frame.
 Hoping to get a tax return for a change also.

JL222

The ones on their website use a 4x4 tailshaft housing and bolt to that...I'd be using a 4x4 transmission anyways...I'll give them a call next week and verify.  Either way $1200 is a lot better than $3600.  LOL