Author Topic: 2 Pass- Reverse Flow LSR Cooling System  (Read 8066 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: 2 Pass- Reverse Flow LSR Cooling System
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 11:40:02 PM »
We are doing something similar with the lakester but I feel that I didn't make the tank big enough. We start off ice cold (literally) with no thermostat or restrictor. Warms up fast enough!
NASCAR uses well over 40 psi to keep hot spots, current eddy induced steam pockets on the chamber to a minimum.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

McRat

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 04:18:16 AM »
We ran last year with a 90 gallon watertank that weighed about 1000lb loaded.  It has a lift pump, then the factory pump.  It also ran 2 oil squirters per piston.
Might sound a bit crazy, but we were adding 1000lb worth of steel ballast anyhow, which overloaded the trailer axles.  So this way, we tow a 1000lb lighter, then fill up the tank local, and dump it to go home.  The tank has 9 chambers of 10 gallon each with non-aligned entry and exit ports in each one.  This was to resist sloshing.  That much water could upset the truck if allowed to shift during a fishtail.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »
We built one for the modified roadster too. I run a small pump with a spray bar to disperse water over the top of the radiator like you would with a garden hose to help with cooling. We run less water in tank at El Mirage (about 5 gal) and more at Bonneville (about 10 gal). Works great at out hp level, takes up little space, and gives us the ability to alter or warm up procedures depending on ambient temperatures. Our cooling system runs a 32 psi cap and we've had no cooling issues other than overfilling and purging some coolant.

Note: I'm not running "reverse" cooling though. Standard thermodynamics (heat rises) for me.  :-)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:17:54 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »
We ran last year with a 90 gallon watertank that weighed about 1000lb loaded.  It has a lift pump, then the factory pump.  It also ran 2 oil squirters per piston.
Might sound a bit crazy, but we were adding 1000lb worth of steel ballast anyhow, which overloaded the trailer axles.  So this way, we tow a 1000lb lighter, then fill up the tank local, and dump it to go home.  The tank has 9 chambers of 10 gallon each with non-aligned entry and exit ports in each one.  This was to resist sloshing.  That much water could upset the truck if allowed to shift during a fishtail.

Sounds very logical to me. It's ballast you don't have to tow. That's easier on everything!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »
Pat
Care to let us in on which thermostat brand opened quickly? I'm not lazy but hate to waste money and time testing if I don't have to. LOL

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 08:54:08 PM »
Rob,   Where can you get that much water locally?  I am thinking of a similar tank  on our car, and wondered where we could get water from.
"because plan A never works"

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 09:06:02 PM »
Rob,   Where can you get that much water locally?  I am thinking of a similar tank  on our car, and wondered where we could get water from.

Our Pit!!!!! LOL!
We melt soooo much ice every run we are always looking for a place to get rid of it all!
I think we are going to call the lakester "Ice Eater"
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 09:45:03 PM »
And if all else fails, the truckstop has a water hose by the diesel pumps!  I can see you guys now, driving thru the pits and emptying out the water from everybody's ice chests!!   Who would have thought that a $2.00 bag of ice could go so far?.....or so fast!   :-D

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
Stop at the fire department in Wendover. They filled us up and were happy to help.
Ed

McRat

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 10:59:15 PM »
Pat
Care to let us in on which thermostat brand opened quickly? I'm not lazy but hate to waste money and time testing if I don't have to. LOL

Ron

I'll see if I can find my notes.  The specific P/N's probably won't help much, as I think the front one was off LS1 engine, and the rear was off an LT1, neither was a SBC or SBF.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 09:24:19 AM »
I would only run distilled water we catch it on sale at Fry's for .65 gallon---beware of any water with mineral content---heat can ceramic  coat your systems meaning less heat transfer.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!