Author Topic: 2 Pass- Reverse Flow LSR Cooling System  (Read 8016 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
2 Pass- Reverse Flow LSR Cooling System
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:10:17 PM »
RATICALS RADIATOR IN A BOX

I have received several inquires about my cooling system and was asked by Evo to start a separate standalone topic.

This system evolved because I have hurt heads and motors with other cooling systems. Back in '01 I ruined a set of heads by not running a pressurized system.  In calling around and asking a lot of people I determined what prob. happened--STEAM pockets!!! 

This system evolved during the long drive from Texas to B'ville in '02 & '03 with Russ Mack. and through trial and error!!!

components:

1 A conventional high volume water pump
2 AFCO  two pass radiator  I paid extra to put the outlets in the end tanks
3 A high volume Electric water pump mounted remotely
4 a RV pump to remove the water from the heat exchanger to the remote tank
5 A 25 gallon remote tank for cooling water
6 a 12 gallon specially baffled "BOX" built around the radiator
7 miscellaneous hoses and fittings

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:12:05 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: 2 Pass- Reverse Flow LSR Cooling System
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 06:23:37 PM »
Raticals Radiator in a Box
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 06:25:57 PM »
25 gallon water cooling tank behind the rear axle
There is a combo vent , fill line that you can barely see on top of the tank
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:40:54 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »
This shows the .090 alum box I bent with a slight lip that wraps over on the right side  that we will weld last after we get the internal baffles cut and fitted. If you look close you can see the weld from AFCO that splits the end tank. I will weld this to the end tanks and will drill a small hole in the outer skin to rosette weld to hold in place.  As you can see the majority of the capacity is above the core. The vertical hose goes up to the eng outlet and t larger one to the water pump.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:31:59 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:15:51 PM »
This shows the lower baffle which will not go all the way to the back plate as this is where the cooling water crosses over to the other side after it has passed through one side of the core.  The coolant will enter from upper right come down through the core go to the rear of the box and cross to the other side and come up through this core. The upper baffle is pretty tight very little cooling water can go side to side above the core its tight to all sides and to the core but not on a tube so it shouldn't cause the core to ever leak.

Looking toward the front of the car the water enters upper right,  comes down, goes toward the rear of the tank to a 4 sq. inch opening, moves to the left side, goes up and exits upper left.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:10:35 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 07:17:26 PM »
On your right you can see the two coolant lines from the Electric pump at the rear axle area. On the left are the two return lines the upper returns to the rear tank.  The lower line goes to a rear mount pump so we can empty the box when we go to warm up the Eng. This way we are only heating the water in the Eng and radiator, a closed system with a 28# radiator cap, remote mounted above the Eng.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:47:36 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 07:19:52 PM »
better shot of the return lines and 2 capped fittings from an earlier system
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:49:18 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
the 2 return lines mentioned above that return to the rear tank
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:51:27 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 07:21:56 PM »
The same two return hoses
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:56:12 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
The farest hose is hooked to the pump you can barely make out, this allows us to empty the "box" whenever we need to.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:56:23 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »
The fitting in the center is the pump inlet the other two go to the frt of the car and the upper right hand side of the heat exchanger. I will take some more Pict's of the end caps and how they are bent to close up the box.  there are also some tabs that are welded to the radiator end cap st help support the radiator in the box so that the baffle doesn't carry all the weight.

I empty the box, warm up the eng to 190 f  when we are waiting in line. Then I get dressed as we work our way forward we are next to run we fire again and when the temp get to 190 again. We turn the coolant pump on when, closing the canopy.  This system so far cools 900 + hp  with ambient water temp. We were hot lapping some this season doing lisc. passes toward the end of the week and we had to leave the pumps on circulating the water and once we pumped water out on the return road and replaced it with new cool water.  We run distilled water only to keep the mineral build up to a min. on the heads and block decks.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:25:14 PM by SPARKY »

McRat

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:57:50 PM »
Are you going to run a thermostat?

What I found when I tested a dozen thermostats, is they have different "delay" settings even if they are the same temp.  I put them in boiling water and watched them with a stopwatch.  Some took 40 seconds, some took as little as 8 seconds.  Obviously if a thermostat takes 40 seconds to open, you could overheat before it opened with a racing application.  In '08 overheating was an issue for us, but after finding "faster" thermostats (mine uses two), in 09 it wasn't overheating that sent us home, even though we turned up the power a bunch, water got to 180 deg and sat there.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 08:05:57 PM »
Yes, I run a 180 thermostat.  I try to get a lot of pressure in my block,  That is what keeps steam bubbles from forming on the head water passage decks.

I bet when we go back together we will be timing our thermosstat=  wonder what the 1/4 time will be?  lol
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:57:07 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »
So I log on, and I see, what, about 10 posts by Sparky, back to back, and I say to myself, "Somebody got the camera out." :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »
its a clever idea Sparky, thanks for the posts.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.