Author Topic: DLRA Speedweek 2010  (Read 9852 times)

penny

DLRA Speedweek 2010
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:11:01 AM »
50 days to go to our event downunder.anyone over there that would  know of anyone coming over here for our australian hospitality.adelaide is the closest city to fly into, then lts an 8 hour drive into the outback to dirt camp at our event.anyone who can get themselves to adelaide will i'm sure be able to hook up with us and have us organise the loan of essential survival gear ie. beer coolers etc. just arrive on our doorstep and we will get you to our salt. march 8-----12th .

Offline Freud

Re: DLRA Speedweek 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:51:53 AM »
That sounds like the hospitality we consider typical from you fellows.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »
Watch out for those really big beers Penny has offered.

Thanks for the invite Penny, Joanie and I have your event on our list. If I have to go to Tour de France she can go to Oz.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

penny

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
all the tour teams are in our town this week.in fact a community ride was held this morning starting about 1.5 miles from my home host were lance armstrong and the radio shack team.its called the tour downunder. salt 8 hrs away.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:36:58 AM »
Any daily coverage would be great. 

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 06:44:33 AM »
Daily coverage?..... I think the telegraph line is down...and it's too far out to read the smoke signals....the best chance is telepathy

For those unfamiliar with the location and circumstances of Lake Gairdner it doesn't lend itself to the "up to the minute global instantaneous communication".....There is a hard line at the members camp, sat-phones kind of work out there.....but when you guys discuss the occasional problems you have with netlinks at Bonneville you need to add a factor of ten into the difficulty of hooking up, actually it might as well be a hundred........There is no Wendover, the nearest "town" is Port Augusta which is about 140 miles away. But, between there and where the racing happens is 40 miles of highway and then 100 of dirt.....

Despite any prep you may make the conditions tend to wear you down, and this year there won't be an ice truck.Huh?, yep that's right, for the last few meets there has been a ten ton ice truck, they sell between 4and a half and six tons of it in 22lb bags for ten bucks, this year the big touring car race the "Clipsal" is on in Adelaide at the same time as Speedweek and so every ice truck within three days drive will be there...not at Speedweek.That, is bad , bad news. They can ,probably sell two truck fulls in Adelaide so we can't hold that against them, but I have a feeling that this year is going to be a stinker , it can go for a week at 110F out there.

Bottom line is , it'll be a while before we, anyone, can match what we are starting to become accustomed to in the way of updates that we enjoy from the Bonneville events.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
No ice, no paved roads, very limited communications, probably limited water.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, we've got it really cushy over here.  And everytime somebody complains about getting gouged in Wendover, I have to ask them - and to be fair, I have to ask myself - would we try this if we had the difficulties you folks face in Oz?

The only event in the US that even comes close is the Iditarod, but you can get a hotel room in Nome.

Even during the 1930's, accessability to Bonneville was easier than what you folks face today. 

This is the ragged edge of amateur racing, and I am in awe.  I applaud the DLRA for making it happen, and salute the participants for competing.  You are, indeed, a hearty lot.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 05:18:20 PM »
It is a harsh environment,but it is also "The Last Great Fast Place on Earth".
For our team , its a 1500 mile trip.The last 100 is the real test on your tow rig.There have been many teams with broken trailer springs,punctures,even holed sumps.But thats part of the adventure.
No phones , TV , computers or traffic lights,Pure Bliss!! As long as you like Flies , Heat , Dust and salt between ya toes!!
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 07:26:59 AM »
When the Dr. wrote 100 mile dirt road - may be there we need a interpretation what "dirt" means in Australia.... :roll:

What an American in the states understand under a "dirt" road....is for an Australian a good country side road...due to this, that in Australia a dirt road means the roughest stuff which you can find under your wheels.......just.....it is possible to move forward on this what gave you the direction to your destination....  :-D

In December/January 1991/92 I drove cross and around Australia - my first rental car, I had for four weeks, had 10 000 miles more on the speedometer when I turned him back to the car rental - 300 miles was dirt road - have to say that this was a normal sedan - no off roader with all wheel drive. But this 300 miles was enough to kill the shock absorber on the front axle - when I leaned against the front end of the car the whole body moved everywhere - the shocks was just gone.....

So, when you come from overseas to the Australia salt - get a proper off road drive from the car rental. This dirt road is really though - I know them from a time before they raced there.....

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline White Monster

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:42:06 AM »
... essential survival gear ie. beer coolers etc.

I thought the Aussie's called coolers "Eskies" ?
 :-D
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:07:05 PM »
Come on guys, surely someone had a satellite phone with Internet connection so you can give us updates...  :|  
we'd do it for you  :roll:  

Saw the pictures from last years trek, you guys are a lot tougher bunch of racers than most of us  :cheers:
Now get back to work on the cars and bikes
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:06:06 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:59:29 PM »
... essential survival gear ie. beer coolers etc.

I thought the Aussie's called coolers "Eskies" ?
 :-D

we just say "beer cooler" so you guys know what we're talking about :wink:

and yes correct ,"Esky" is the word....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »

Don't listen to them exagerate. It is not that bad of a road. Lots of it you can fly on,just a couple of nice "special sections" to challenge those that are not serious. Lots of very nice dust--- and you can keep the dang flies!!!!
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline White Monster

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 02:29:56 PM »
we just say "beer cooler" so you guys know what we're talking about.
and yes correct ,"Esky" is the word....

Doc, I was just being a smart-arse ...
I lived in Sydney for 15 years and worked in Melbourne for a year at the NAB.
 :wink:
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 02:35:23 PM »
N A B -- "Natural Agglomeration of Butt-kissers"?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com