Author Topic: Understanding Engineers  (Read 14325 times)

Offline bbarn

Re: Understanding Engineers
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 04:32:03 PM »
Good thing no one has hassled/harassed "domestic" engineers....you'd all be fixing your own meals, washing your own clothes, sleeping on the couch, and wondering what the h*ll happened to the remote control?   :-D

Lynda

Oh, I so want to tell a joke right now, but I don't think *everyone* would find it appropriate :wink: Instead, I'll just agree with Lynda, without my domestic engineer I would be lost. I would still know where the remote is though, you gotta have your priorities!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

LittleLiner

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »
A village was over-run during the French Revolution.  The invaders decide to randomly execute three citizens.  They selected the town drunk, the priest and the village engineer.  As they put the priest in the guillotine they asked if he wanted to go face-up or face-down.  “Face-up,” said the priest.  “I want to face my Lord as I leave this place.”

They released the blade and it stopped an inch from the Priest’s neck.

“A Miracle!” shouted the crowd . . . and the priest was spared.

Next the town drunk took his place.  Like the Priest he went face-up.  Again the blade stopped an inch from the neck.  “Another Miracle! Release Him!” shouted the crowd.  And the drunk was spared.

Last to face death was the Engineer.  He also went face-up.  As the blade was about to be released the engineer looked up at the guillotine mechanism and shouted out, “Wait, I think I see the problem.”

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »
I have my internal selective hearing plus a button on each hearing aid. :evil:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline aircap

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 09:14:06 PM »
You might be an aerospace engineer if.....

I used to miss working aircraft.... now I can say that retirement is really working out well for me.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 11:54:57 AM »
You might be an aerospace engineer if.....

I used to miss working aircraft.... now I can say that retirement is really working out well for me.

Yep, I missed it for almost half of the first day...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

McRat

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
We still get aerospace stuff at work, but not like it was 15 years ago.

Couple months ago there was some Phantom II blueprints in the shop.  Didn't think any were still in operation.  Prints were hand-drawn, which is pretty rare to see anymore.  Hard to believe the Phantom, Nautilus, Apollo 11, SR-71 were all designed with sliderules ...

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »
We still get aerospace stuff at work, but not like it was 15 years ago.

Couple months ago there was some Phantom II blueprints in the shop.  Didn't think any were still in operation.  Prints were hand-drawn, which is pretty rare to see anymore.  Hard to believe the Phantom, Nautilus, Apollo 11, SR-71 were all designed with sliderules ...

Just goes to show what hard work and dedication can accomplish.
Computers are great, but only as great as the people programming and operating them. I've seen a lot of poor engineering done with 'puters.
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline aircap

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »
Computers are great, but only as great as the people programming and operating them. I've seen a lot of poor engineering done with 'puters.

Amen to that.
Had some CATIA jockeys at what is now Hawker/Beechcraft (then Raytheon)  that were downright dangerous, and/or clueless.
Once made mincemeat of an engineer that didn't know steel couldn't be welded to aluminum.
Gotta stop remembering now, or I'll be here for hours posting stories.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:30 PM »
Some reps from somewhere once brought in to the shop a bar of aluminum welded to a bar of steel and bent at a sharp 90 at the weld. It was friction welded and the od turned after welding. Don't know if it was an inert gas chamber but I wouldn't be surprised. Anyway I was impressed.

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 11:57:15 PM »
Yeah, welding aluminum to steel is actually fairly commonplace these days. Several methods can be used, all of which are classified as solid state welding where the base metals never actually melt. Inertia welding, explosion welding and magnetic impulse can all be used. Only trouble is that the equipment to perform these welds is kinda expensive.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:12 AM »
There is a shortage of engineers and a greater lack of engineers with hands on experience.  We discuss it at my job often.

During the bad time in the late 1970's, the stagflation years, I was a mechanic and service manager at a motorcycle shop.  The economy was tanking and I figured, what the heck, its time to go to college.  Too many years later I graduated with an engineering degree and went to work again.  Its been a steady job, not all that well paying, but it has benefits and I could stay in one location, raise a family, and do a bit of racing.  Engineering, like anything else, is a lot of hard work, but it is indoors most of the time, out of the rain and cold.  No complaints.

Hot rodders, in general, have the natural ability to be decent engineers.  Racing is applied engineering.  Younger folks, consider doing it if you get the opportunity.       

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41:57 AM »
The F4 Phantom II was replaced by the F14 in the 1980's, but there are some QF-4 target drones still being flown. There are over 500 still flying in other countries.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 08:45:44 AM »
If your street address is 3.14 Mohr's Circle, you just might be an engineer.  :-P

Offline aircap

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »
Yeah, welding aluminum to steel is actually fairly commonplace these days.

News to me, but I'm just a retired tool and die maker.
For the purposes of a jig, or fixture - not gonna happen.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »

What can you expect, when you introduce another failure point into the stream?
Remember the old rule for simple math: "characteristics are determined by inspection", meaning "you should be able to tell where the decimal point goes, or you should consider a transfer to sales"?
Computers have no inherent error-trapping loops (unless you insist that it be written into the program - and this will be done by a software person who cannot anticipate the nature of the error himself), and frequently produce errors of huge orders of magnitude, which are not challenged simply because it isn't anyone's fault...

Engineer used to be defined, with considerable justification, as "problem solver" (as opposed to scientist, where application, cost/effect, collateral damage etc. are not relevant: "I only invented the death ray, I didn't tell you what to do with it").

I'm sorry to say that most engineers I meet now not only do not solve problems, they don't understand what that means.