Poll

GT options for the Midget -

Yes, run with a roadster-style cage and a soft tonneau - you'll go faster.
2 (9.5%)
No, go with the factory hardtop - you'll go faster.
7 (33.3%)
Try it both ways - build the cage so you can still fit the top over it, but have your boat-buddy make you a tonneau, too.
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: January 19, 2010, 11:51:30 PM

Author Topic: Should I go Topless?  (Read 18414 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: Should I go Topless?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 07:59:28 AM »
Dr Mayf- see home page- has some numbers:

http://www.mayfco.com/tbls.htm
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 09:21:18 AM »
Chris, Gerald Davenport took his Crosley #1010 to Bonneville without a top and had to have one made to compete in the GT class.

pic from Maxton...

Pic with top, correct windshield and doors required by SCTA...

He had to have the top/sidecurtains, correct doors and windshield to match OEM for the GT class.

I'm no expert on car classes, but this is just info I got from a conversation with Gerald.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:26:04 AM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

LittleLiner

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 10:38:21 AM »
To add to what Rchop said . . . to run GT you MUST run a top. 

I don't have a 2009 rule book handy but am pretty sure this still applies.  Looking at the rules (in an older rule book) under Production Category and also specific GT class rules it is not real clear about this . . . but . . . if you skip to the rules under the Modified Category for Gas Coupe there is a specific reference to convertible tops.  It clearly says that Convertible tops are only allowed in the Gas Coupe classes and in the Production Category (that includes GT).  It also says that the top must be up during competition. 

If you have a 2009 rule book I suggest you verify that this is still the case.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 11:36:26 AM »
And you can't chop the top in GT.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »
Too many rules from the man in GT.....

Startin' to make MS look better all the time doesnt it....

A GSXR 1K and all the fun you can handle "ahead of and including the cowl".

My vote.....

MS all the way (*and who knows maybe a run for the H records in the future!)
LOL

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »
Jh --

Just look at GT as a Production class for sports cars, not a Gas or Altered class.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 07:22:12 PM »
Chris, Gerald Davenport took his Crosley #1010 to Bonneville without a top and had to have one made to compete in the GT class.
I remember Gerald was running a '48 Crosley about eight years ago in J/PRO.  There's a picture of that car in the 2005 Rule book on page 67.  He doesn't know it, but that car was one of my inspirations, and after reading his story, so is he.

The 1010 J/GT he and his team put together is a stunning piece, and there are more pics on his website -

http://www.crosley1010.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=4

So he was required to run a top at Maxton?  The last GT Bugeye at Bonneville I was made aware of ran topless.  I think Dan Warner forwarded me this pic, but if it was somebody else, let me know.

Don't know the year it ran - late '80's?

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »
Now you see Leroy( you need to listen to a CD MM plays on to get that one :wink:), a build diary is like floating your company........ You used to be able to turn up when you wanted , spend company funds on whatever "entertainment" you liked , keep a bottle under the desk and employ your relatives....NOW, you have to do an annual report, have a shareholders meeting, draw graphs and stuff and comply with company law....next thing you know there'll be some young dude share-raiding you and stacking your board.....

Just joking , but suddenly all this expertise rolls up and it gets real serious....... This project has been simmering away out of view , now it's broken cover everyone's weighing in and you're accountable, being compared to other cars, having to make the big decisions about which way you're gonna go........It's great to see you're well on the way to being a contender.....

Good one!
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 11:56:26 PM »
Rchop -

Just re-read your post - SCTA said no - got it. 

Yeah, the doors on Gerald's original build are not stock.  Just pulled up a pick of an original Hotshot, and the rebuilt doors in the pic with the top on it are in keeping with the original lines.  It's a shame they got that far and had to do a fix.

In section 5.E.3, the rule states that "Any tarps shall be non-rigid."   I'd always interpreted that to mean that a soft tonneau was permissible, whereas a fiberglass or aluminum cover, like on a roadster, would be rejected.  A full tonneau was an option in the Midget - maybe not on the Hotshot?

. . . but suddenly all this expertise rolls up and it gets real serious.......

Thanks to everyone for your input and encouragement.  I repeat, this is the greatest brain-trust in racing, but Gray Baskerville said it best - "Don't take this s*#t too seriously". :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 12:27:24 AM »
I vote for leaving the top off and giving everybody rides.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 12:52:56 AM »
Ewww, get this horrible picture of a 6'6", white bellied man walking around with no shirt, orange and white shorts (tropical leaf pattern, of course), green flipflops, and pickles (Milwakee Midgets, naturally) dangling from a string draped around his neck.......ewwww....  :-o

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 08:07:57 AM »
Ewww, get this horrible picture of a 6'6", white bellied man walking around with no shirt, orange and white shorts (tropical leaf pattern, of course), green flipflops, and pickles (Milwakee Midgets, naturally) dangling from a string draped around his neck.......ewwww....  :-o

Lynda
:-D
Worry not, dear lady.  My strong sense of fashion would never let me wear a tropical leaf pattern with flip-flops

I'm thinking tiger stripes. :mrgreen:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
Just found this - a copy of "Auto Test", circa 1975.  Topic - MG Midget.

"Open sports cars always suffer in performance at the top end when they run with the hood (top) down, and the Midget was no exception.  Lowering the hood took the maximum speed down to 94 MPH."

The data sheet indicated a best top speed of 102 mph @ 6,200 RPM, about 700 RPM past the peak advertised horsepower of 66 at 5,500 RPM (DIN).

Granted, the top they were running was the soft top, but at this point, I'm thinking there's strong circumstantial evidence to go with the top on.  It's a difference of ~ 7.8%.

It's still a long way from 122 mph, but it's a step in the right direction.

Online salt27

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 08:46:29 PM »
When I was 16 I had a 63 Midget and got into a race with a VW. My tach was past redline in 4th gear and there was about 2" of daylight between the top of the windshield frame and the the soft top.
I thought the top was going come off, but the two little fasteners on the ends held.

Don
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:48:53 PM by salt27 »

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »
I would have thought there was not enough time for you to be building it two ways without any class advantage.

Go the hard top, air will pass through smoother and join back together behind the car smoother with the sloping rear screen.

If you cannot change the windscreen then to make it better aero extend the rear screen so it takes longer to join the back.

I was interested in buying a Sprite when I was in my 20's, but when I finally got in one I found I could only get out walking on my hands wheelbarrow style. Ended up getting a Renault Floride instead, the inspiration for the MGB. I actually did lose my hardtop once when I failed to fix it on properly. eek

rH+