Author Topic: Motorcycle Crash Physics  (Read 7756 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Motorcycle Crash Physics
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »
So - Adolph at Z Custom didn't respond directly with an opinion on if there's any safety advantage of one piece over two piece.  I had asked for crash test results, so to speak.  He did tell me, though, that they wouldn't convert our two piece suits to one piece -- because the result would be about 1 1/2" shorter -- would make my voice about two octaves higher, so to speak.

So there's that information.  As for the relative safety -- still looking for definitive information.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »
He did tell me, though, that they wouldn't convert our two piece suits to one piece -- because the result would be about 1 1/2" shorter

Now, that I really don't understand.
Of course, if you remove the entire zipper + attachment panel on either side the result is smaller.
Unless, of course, you do what has been done to alter clothing for the last 5,000 years: add a piece between them. Duh.

Offline Jasontmc

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »
Sounds like Adolf wants to sell you two new sets of leathers Jon!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 10:57:59 AM »
Yep, Adolph's business is selling leathers, no doubt about it.  As for putting a patch between the top and bottom -- then there'd be two seams instead of one -- and therefore twice the potential weak spots, right?  I guess it'd be best to move to a brand-new one-piece set if that's what we feel we need to do.

Don't forget, by the way -- if you decide to buy leathers and get them from Z Custom -- you'll get 10% off the price (assuming full price is t least $1200) by mentioning the ad they run on landracing.com.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 12:04:55 PM »
I think you are correct Slim ... it is about selling leathers ... not much money in repairs or upgrades ... Joe

McRat

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 01:24:45 PM »
I don't think the issue is the stitching, so getting leathers altered by a professional should be ok.  It's that zippers can fail.  I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I've had a lot more zippers bust in my life than seams in garments. 

The fastest I ever went down was maybe 120mph, but it was on asphalt.  Fastest dirt bailoff was maybe 70.  Sliding might give you some good burns and bleeding rash, but it broken bones are less fun.  Anything you can do to slide is to your advantage.  And remember to wait until you're SURE you've come to a complete stop before you get up.  Wait a few seconds to be sure.  I flipped a dirt bike (by coincidence, at El Mirage) once going ~60 showing off, and I slid on my tail for a ways, and thought I stopped, so I tried to get up.  OPPSS!  I was still moving, and I did a really cool cartwheel through the air and got hurt.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »
The leather is the weakest link, not the stitching.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »
McRat--thanks for reminding me that Nancy and I are sorta smart -- in that we always wear full long sleeve, long pant Kevlar underwear beneath the leathers.  If we're going to slide on the pavement or the salt -- another layer between our skin and the surface can't hurt and will probably help protect us.  The Kevlar is commercially available from the "Draggin' Jeans" company.  About $300/set, but that's less that skin grafts.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 01:57:59 AM »
Is there a reason that only leather is allowed?  It seems that Kevlar or another synthetic fabric would be slippery and a person would tend to slide rather than roll.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »
WW - good question.  I know that at least one of the sanctioning organisations is now doing research into whether some of the "new" materials might be as good - or better -- than leather in affording the best protection to bike racers when they get off at speed.  Kevlar, of course, but maybe there's something brand-new that's not even commercially available yet - but is being researched in the universities or skunk works someplace.  Stay tuned - but it might be a year, might be a week, might never happen.  Good question, though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bak189

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 10:21:31 AM »
Synthetic suits were used in International GP and sidecar racing, but it is my understanding they would melt into the skin when the rider was sliding along.......not a good thing........leather is the way to go...

We have been very lucky with sponsorship from Joe Rocket Leathers.....they make a outstanding product
with armor in the right places, plus they fit very well........(not legal for SCTA/BNI)..............................
Question authority.....always

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »
one of the sanctioning organisations is now doing research

I think the US Attorney has a different word for it.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »
Well, maybe -- but I have personal knowledge -- that I'm not at liberty to share.  But it's being done.  Synthetics might melt -- but what about something new and as-yet unknown to us?  That's the stuff to which I refer.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

McRat

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »
I think the biggest obstacle to overcome would be ventilation.  Nothing wet is going to insulate against heat, not to mention that the more comfortable you are when racing, the less likely you are going to crash.  I'm a big fan of white 100% cotton next to my skin.

I've cut up and/or burned my hands pretty good a few times, so the best gloves you can find aren't a bad idea.  One layer of leather is not enough for the palm, that can vanish the instant of contact, at least on asphalt.  Lots of scars on knees and hips as well.  (some folk save pictures of races, I just look over my scars to remember the good times).

So the Ultimate CTD (crash test dummy) suit would have:

Low friction
Contact point armor
Abrasion resistance
Tensile strength
Low heat transfer
Fire resistance
Ventilation
Inner absorbency

Seams (sic) like a pretty tall order.  Leather is still very good in most all those areas.  

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:54:06 AM by McRat »

McRat

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 10:55:47 AM »
Heat transfer is a result of friction, so perhaps it's possible to kill two birds with one stone.  Low friction, no heat to begin with.