Author Topic: Class questions  (Read 5610 times)

Calpantera

Class questions
« on: January 12, 2010, 12:39:36 AM »
OK total noob here guys so bear with me. Not even sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes.
Would the car in the attached pic run in streamliner because it is a purpose built race car with covered wheels or would it be lakester. I know it would not be very competitive as the body style produces lot of downforce and that is just wasted power in a staight line, but we are looking to just get in the game initially and figure we can use it to license and get a 150, then once we get the bug we will want to get competitive. We already know how to make the power.

Additionally does anyone know of any LSR Mazda Miatas running out there? Would a Miata run as a roadster or a sports?
I read some conflicting info in the SCTA site so I am waiting on my rule book in the mail and hope that clears them up.

Thank you for any information you can provide
Bill

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Class questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 07:40:09 AM »
Streamliner, covered wheels.

Study the rules thoroughly before making big plans for this car in LSR, particularly roll cage area........

Not to discourage you but often it is faster, easier, and less expensive to build a special construction [liner, lakester] as well as cars in some other classes to the safety rules from scratch.

Calpantera

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:45:38 AM »
The reason I was thinking about using it in a class at all is that I have heard that you get a lot more runs in at an event when running in a class as opposed to running just for speed. I will go over the rules more once I get the rule book.
Eventually the goal for the team is to build up a J/BGMS and also run it in G/GMS, at least that is the initial thought.

Thanks for the input.
Bill

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »
Bill, welcome to our addiction
You sound like a perfect candidate for World of Speed.  I think you can do 130 or 150 club with that car.  Might want to go to the USFRA website and read the rules for the clubs.  150 club runs on the record course, 130 club on a 1 mile course.  
When you get your scta rulebook you will see your car will need a lot of work to make it legal to run at any scta event.  
Both clubs will get you all the salt time you need to decide that you are going to build something.
The Miata would be a GT or Modified Sports depending on what you do....
Roadsters are old cars (1923 to 1938).... even if they are brand new

you should attend Speedweek to get the feel, then WoS to run the clubs.  Stop in and talk, best racing you will find
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:18:36 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »
"...I have heard that you get a lot more runs in at an event when running in a class as opposed to running just for speed."

Every entry is given the same opportunity for runs as wanted. It is first come-first served at the starting line. Your consultant is giving you some bum info.

The pictured car would be very, very difficult to convert to class specs. First would have to be a roll cage to spec. The chassis that these cars use is not compliant with the rules. Depending on engine class the car must be built to the existing record where chassis, tires, fire system, etc. is concerned.

When you recieve your rulebook you will see that there is no J engine break in the Modified Sports classes, so you can save that exercise.

From your posts I will guess that you are planning on the G engine class. Here are some samples of of salt records:

SECTION 6
BONNEVILLE  NATIONAL CAR RECORDS

6.A  Special Construction Category
Electric Vehicle - /E         
Blown Fuel Streamliner - /BFS   
G      Costella & Yacoucci      R. Yacoucci   08/06   348.743
Unblown Fuel Streamliner - /FS       
G     Barnyard Bearcat      J. Talbot      08/09   233.491
Blown Gas Streamliner - /BGS     
G         Costella Yacoucci      R. Yacoucci   08/06   352.525
Unblown Gas Streamliner - /GS       
G      Barnyard Bomber            J. Knapp         10/09   258.988

6.D  Modified Category
Blown Fuel Modified Sports - /BFMS
G      Autocomponenti      B. Lightfoot   08/09   225.839
Unblown Fuel Modified Sports - /FMS
G      Besic Motorsports        M. Besic           08/04   159.112
Blown Gas Modified Sports - /BGMS
G      Autocomponenti      J. Steck      08/09   230.352
Unblown Gas Modified Sports - /GMS     
G      Besic Motorsports        C. Bielat         08/04   163.441

Of course, if you plan on the USFRA 130/150 club events the records don't matter. Keep asking questions, I am sure you will find the folks here eager to help.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 03:37:28 PM »
A Miata would run in the GT class, provided the windshield is still there, along with the headlights, horn and tail lights, and the body is stock, including the gas tank.

Yup - get the rule book, and welcome aboard! :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Calpantera

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »
Once you are in a modified class you no longer have to run the stock engine correct? I have a hell of a powerplant that right now is just under 700cc, I would like to run it in a BGMS class but they only go down to 750cc engine class. How do they create a new class? Is it by demand or some other method?

Thanks agin

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »
They don't create a new class!

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 06:26:01 PM »
Production class entries run modified engines also. Basic requirements for production classes, besides the body mentioned in the other post, include the engine being an available option for the body used. Internal modifications have no effect on class. The production engine can be increased in displacement to run up class, you must run in the displacement class you have entered. A smaller engine cannot compete in a larger engine class.

The J engine break for Modified Sports has been brought to the rules committee for the last two years and has not made the cut. You can run your 700cc engine a production vehicle if it came in said car.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »
Once you are in a modified class you no longer have to run the stock engine correct? I have a hell of a powerplant that right now is just under 700cc, I would like to run it in a BGMS class but they only go down to 750cc engine class. How do they create a new class? Is it by demand or some other method?

Thanks agin
You would just run in the 750cc class. It is for engines from 501cc to 750ccs

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 11:02:40 PM »

Thanks agin
You would just run in the 750cc class. It is for engines from 501cc to 750ccs

Rich, that would be J/BGMS- I'm not seeing it, but my current book is with my welder.  Does it exist? Are you thinking I/BGMS - 750-1000?  Can you go smaller?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »
Get that motor to 760cc, then it runs I, the one liter class.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Calpantera

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 11:49:10 PM »
Get that motor to 760cc, then it runs I, the one liter class.
Hmm.. now that leads me to another question. Don't most builders go for the upper limit in their engine class, like build out to 99% of the volume allowed in the class? Leaving a little breathing room of course in case your calculations and the tech calcs are off by a bit. It would seem to me that if you are going for a class record you are going to take advantage of everything you can so if I were to run in "I" then I would want to build a one liter right (995cc or so)?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 12:01:28 AM »
You catch on quick. :-D

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 01:16:15 AM »
From reply #4
"When you recieve your rulebook you will see that there is no J engine break in the Modified Sports classes, so you can save that exercise."

Sometimes building to max. displacement does not yield max. performance. I think some research into bore/stroke combinations would help.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth