LImited Slip
0 (0%)
Positraction
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 20, 2010, 08:57:58 PM

Author Topic: Ford 9 Inch 3rd Member  (Read 7287 times)

Offline iskipnw

• New folks
Ford 9 Inch 3rd Member
« on: January 10, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
I am interested in hearing what type of 9 inch full floater 3rd member people run on the salt, and why. 
My application will be roadster class automobile. 
There is much to understand about Spool, Detroit Locker, spider, etc.  Thanks
Ken
Ken

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Ford 9 Inch 3rd Member
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:02:02 PM »
A lot of discussing on that is in the archives... I don't have a roadster but the big car has a spool and the little car is solid axle chain drive so a lot like a spool.  You will find there is no right answer.  One of the best pieces of rear end advice I've seen here is if you run a spool and spin, put in a locker... if you run a locker and spin, put in a spool.... think it was JD Tone
Good luck and keep reading, there is no easy answer.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:30:21 PM »
Stainless,

Just a reminder, don't forget open.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
Tom, aren't those the ones that are hard to keep the oil in....  :roll:  as opposed to the closed ones....  :|
I forgot, the bike has a spool as well, so that is the one I recommend....  :-P
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:52:35 PM »
Yep,

Freud told me to always keep them lubed up, and I would not have any problems. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
Stainless was a little off...If you have any device which drives both rear tires and you spin, put in an open rear...and in contrast if it's open and you spin, change it to something which drives both.

If you are considering a high HP roadster spinning is not an option but an enevitability. It just seems to be that way. At 160 MPH and 300+ HP, I never even gave spinning a thought. At 700HP and 185 and the same weight car it became an eye opener. I choose not to change the rear end but to lengthen the wheelbase 1/8" in the direction of the spin and completed the meet without problems. The following year we added 600# and went 195+ with no problem. Ended up over 216 and spinning never reoccured but learning to drive a car that ran out of HP for a mile was an unforgetable experience.

Long pointed cars have different traits than anything with a verticle grille shell and 2 open tires leading the way.........Good Luck JD

PS: I still like to drive our roadster more that anything else and we will be back in October at WF
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:51:41 PM »
What JD said!
Although I will add that I started with a spool which turned out to be a good choice for me.
Rick

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 02:32:57 PM »
With the lightest weight in our class (2800 lbs.), we've set the record 4 times  in 7 years -- 3 times over 200.  No ballast, but a heavy frame.  Ran a positraction one run -- spun for the first and only time.  Open for us.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline John Burk

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 11:38:39 PM »
Have any roadsters used IRS ? Seems like it would be easier to drive with consistently rear wheel loading . Do Corvettes spin less ?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 12:09:22 PM »
Our roadster now has IRS -- Isn't Really Suspended.  I guess what works for one, may not for others.  Seems to me I've seen Corvettes with 9" in them.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 01:19:44 PM »
A roadster toad would say that a Corvette is NOT a roadster.  :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Wide Open

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 09:06:04 AM »
Long pointed cars have different traits than anything with a verticle grille shell and 2 open tires leading the way.........Good Luck JD
Can you explain the difference? 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 09:09:54 AM »
center of pressure  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »
Have any roadsters used IRS ? Seems like it would be easier to drive with consistently rear wheel loading . Do Corvettes spin less ?
I believe that when I looked at the Hofman-Markley roadster it had a Corvette IRS. My roadster has swing axle rear as did the old Markley roadster I believe.