Author Topic: 1955 Ford Y-block powered LSR  (Read 27479 times)

Offline mtkawboy

Re: 1955 Ford Y-block powered LSR
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
I hope it handles better then my 427/425 powered 57 Ford Custom 300 did flatout. Felt like it touched down on each side about every 100 feet or so. You would quit before it would but that was in 1965, no aero, no tires, no safety equipment, & no brains.

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 11:17:53 PM »
Here is the latest update almost done just need to finish wiring the Ignition and bolt on the headers . The head was pulled and valve replaced. Still have to plump the rest of the fire system and fuel system and plumb a few oil lines. The window net needs to be mounted and a few bars finished in the cage. Thanks to everyone for the kind words it still amazes me anyone even care about my little build when i see the caliber of cars being built on this site. Mtkawboy handling is still alittle unknown for this car should be interresting while there have been some improvements to tire and safety the aero is  still the same now as then. I cant afford the cubic dollars to speed as alot of people but it will probably feel like a I'm running as fast in this thing. :-D  Here ia a link to some new pics.

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx231/slg1992002/

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »
Im sure lowered down with modern tires & frontend air dams , and the right alignment specs it will be fine. Its nice to see something different. Have fun, being competitive might be a whole new ball game with a Y-block though, but I sure admire the effort . I wasnt making fun of you, more of myself.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »
In the  mid '60s I had a fairly hot 361 FE in a 58 custom 300 Ford and a warmed '65 442 both responded to a lot of rake to stop the front end lift. I cut the front coils of them and had the biggest tires (950 x14) I could find for the rear both were in the 155-165 range by tachs and formulas. As others have testified to otherwise a lot of lift and floating sensation.  It was before I knew about air dams.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 11:51:17 PM »
Well its been a few weeks since I have been able to update my progress and the good news is it lives. Fired it up today for the first time and it was great nothing motivates you like smelling some exhaust. The last couple of weeks have been challenging to say the least seems like this thing fights me every step of the way. Had a wiring problem I fought for a week. I have never run a MSD box with a Mallory dist. and I got a incorrect wiring diagram from mallory it would fire and stumble but not run finally got it strait with help from MSD tech dept and it fired right up heres a link to the video on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG4QsASeIPM

Also want to thank Bill for the moon disc there awesome looks like as long as we avoid any major hiccups were heading to Maxton friday for tech and some lic passes this weekend (with alittle luck maybe even a full fledges blast if all is Ok)   

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 12:04:20 AM »
That is one nasty soundin' Y-block. :evil:  Love that intake manifold. 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 01:17:03 AM »
Good luck! It's been fun watching it go together. Sounds great! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »
Tell us about the manifold--your thoughts or research behind it....
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 11:26:23 AM »
Well the intake is a bit of a mixed bag. It was built by and run on Jerry Christiansen race car about 16 years ago. During the R&D phase of the motor it was dynoed with 4 or 5 diffrent intakes and this one was the winner it was heavily modified with epoxy to suit our motor (diffrent plenum size runner shapes etc.) all done trail and error style on the dyno  short  of the heads it probably has the most R&D of the motor. It is actually made of sheet mild steel. We are doing some R&D right now on a 2x4 set up and depending on the out come we may have this intake reproduced in sheet aluminum once were happy with the design.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 07:23:17 PM »
With those stacked intake ports, it's a tough engine to get to breath well.  If this combo runs as well as it looks and sounds, this is going to be one tough Y-not.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »
Here is a short video of the car and a link to some of the final engine pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaT4WSunZLI

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx231/slg1992002/Lsr%20update%205-16-2010/

Now we are talkin.......this is what I love about L.S.R.  Lots of variety and Home brewed excellence
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2010, 12:10:02 PM »
Sounds really good, how much clearance is there between the hood & carb with the hood closed ?

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »
There is about 6-8 inches clearance the hood would shut with out a scoop but only by a couple of inches we have a cold air system in the works don't know if the scoop will change as we develop the car but its a start.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2010, 08:36:59 PM »
Ok, I thought you were going to run production & it looked like it would be close to the hood