Author Topic: 1955 Ford Y-block powered LSR  (Read 27480 times)

Offline 57 ranchwagon

1955 Ford Y-block powered LSR
« on: January 09, 2010, 04:06:58 PM »
Here are a few Pics and a short description of myself and a Friends Land speed racing project. About a year ago while sipping on a few cold ones and maybe alittle homemade whiskey a plan was hatched. We were going to try a modern day attempt at what Karol Miller did in the 50's but with modern technology. This is not a high dollar project with lots of money thrown at it.(although more has been thrown at it than planned for right) It is a group effort of several like minded friends that drive there cars to shows and have fun doing it. We will be towing to the races for logistical purposes (I have driven my 57 y-block ranchwagon from Ga to Vegas and back it is worth doing) its really is the only option. We will run a 55 Fairlane in the C/CGPRO (C Classic Gas Production) Class. We are going to run ECTA races in NC to sort out a few things and head for the salt In 2010 or 2011 depending on our results. I have attempted to due as much of this build my self as possible verses farming out work to the pros. All metal fab was performed in house with the help of friends. I will attempt to update this as much as possible but I have come to realize im horrible at documenting my work.

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx231/slg1992002/

Offline basher13

Re: 1955 Ford Y-block powered LSR
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »
Looks great, love 55's of the non chevy variety. What's been done suspension wise and how does it feel at speed? Love that intake :cheers:
Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »
I love it. Of course i have a Packard powered LSR (sorta) car. So that figgeres. I think if it was mine I would have gone with a 292. Seems like the heads would support that better. But it's yours and I love it.

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »
The suspension is mostly stock with good shocks lowering spindles (for better geometry) sway bars and kal trac rear traction bars. The heads are 312 heads but it is essentially a bored and stroked 292. I have not run it at speed yet but should be a interesting ride.I have had a 57 ford to 115 on a drag strip it wasn't completely terrifying.

Model T Steve

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:22:54 PM »
I believe Miller is still alive and well and living in Northern Ca.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:13:51 PM »
Beautiful car. 

Do you have a rule book?  My question is the cage and as to whether or not it would pass tech for SCTA.

It'd be fun to see a Fairlane with a Y-not block racing.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »
Miller was my high school hero!!!   My folks had a 500 245hp 312 for about 3 months untill I totaled it out running my buddies dads 58 348 Chev.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 07:51:30 PM »
I forgot to mention the cage is only about 60% done the door bars diagonal rear bars and roof bar are not in i need to figure out my seat situation before I weld down those bars. This is my first cage so it a little slow going. I brought the car to maxton and had it pre inspected in Oct just for the main hoop halo bar and floor pads and it was given the OK with a few changes and the rest of the bars and gussets of coarse. Joe also saw no problems for SCTA also.

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »
Hey Sparky that's awesome I love hearing those  kinds of stories  hope you were not hurt to bad.(from the wreak or your folks) I drive my 57 ranchwagon everywhere and it never fails some body's always got a story about one in there family. ( some stories are fun some alittle scary and weird like conception of children and numerous conquest in the back of a wagon) :-D

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 02:02:16 AM »
My hero, Karol Miller, and I have become friends over these last few years. He does reside in Northern California retired from the oil business in Houston TX. His daughter lives a few doors from our son.

He is planning on returning to Bonneville with a replica of his orange and white 56 Victoria; we have discussed it a lot. The restored 56 is currently registered and he drives when ever he wants. 3-speed on the column just like the original one.  I believe it will be at a USFRA meet. He doesn't want to cage the car to meet all of the current rules. He still has the original timing plague's from the 50's at Bonneville and a certification for his runs on Daytona Beach.

He always wears his championship NHRA ring from the 60's If you can remember the Singer/Miller dragster with the blown Lincoln. A fine respected gentleman................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Ole Don

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »
Karol Miller is my hero too. My 55 will again be at the September meet. I hope to run in the 130 again.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 11:30:07 PM »
I'll add one more of the forgotten pieces of Karols Bonneville history. In 1960 he bought a new Ford Starliner. He drove it to Bonneville removed the AC belt and made a few passses at 160 mph and was the hit of the week like he usually was. I won't tell you it was stock.....When he ran the 56 Victoria he knew exactly what it would do. It seem he was pretty good friends with the Texas hyway patrol at that time and a new stretch of interstate 10 or one of the other ones around Houston was built and not open yet. I fanaggeled a high speed run with some eyes looking in the opposite direction on one of the hyways. It may have been with the small displacement engine with the latham blower. That I don't remember..............I hope he runs this year
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 01:35:53 AM »
Some of these guys will have (more than) a few ideas and sources for parts

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/

Just keep a close eye on the rulebook and ask questions here before doing anything you're not absolutely sure is legal for the class (and is still any question contact the official types).

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 08:52:47 AM »
 Thanks Anvil I am very familiar with that site and post on there forum excellent source of info and great bunch of guys. I pretty much live life now with the rulebook in hand and have made the trip out to Maxton several time to get clarification on some subjects but i am sure there will still be a few more issues to resolve. Thanks for looking out.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »
Welcome.
Rather fond of the Y-blocks, had owned a few over the years.