Author Topic: A tank from scratch:  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
A tank from scratch:
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »
I hope this address works as this is a build site on the HAMB where a guy is building a tank from scratch. Pretty neat.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431553&highlight
Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline sailingadventure

• McCain Automotive
Re: A tank from scratch:
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:08:56 AM »
     This is similar to what I started to do 1994 when I wanted to build a tank car and there was no way for me to find a tank. Back then, there was no E-Bay, and no Internet and the only way I could build a car was to make every piece of it. I just wanted something different, and everyone thought I was crazy to even start anything so complex. Since I had never done any metal work, other than body work on customers' cars,I hardly knew where to start. I remembered how to build model airplanes out of balsa wood and tissue paper, so I decided to use that idea for the way to make the tank. I would build the buck, and instead of using tissue for the covering, I would use aluminum. After buying six 4'x8' sheets and an English wheel, I began a steep learning curve. I ruined quite a few square feet of the aluminum , but I was finally able to make the metal do what I wanted it to.

After the shell was built, I lost interest in it and put it on the back burner for a few years. In 2004 I found a real tank in California, and used it instead for my current car.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »
Rex, I`ve been following that build on another site. He plans to drive that on the street. Sounds like all kinds of fun. J.B.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Blue

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
An absolutely exquisite piece of workmanship.  I'd love to see this all welded up and polished.