Author Topic: Diesel Oddity.  (Read 2205 times)

McRat

Diesel Oddity.
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:33:43 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duramax-Diesel-Motor-Garrett-Turbo-08-09-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ220536379048QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3358fe16a8

This guy doesn't even know what he is selling.  No, it will NOT fit an '08 or '09 vehicle.

GM developed this 4.5L 32v turbo diesel (300HP) but did not put it into service.  This engine is a test engine.  Their bankruptcy might have killed it for good.

What it it?  It is a gas-V8-form-factor compatible diesel powerplant.  It will bolt into most SUV's and pickups that accept the LS1 family engines (new SBC).  It would have improved fuel economy and carbon dioxide emissions 20% or more over the best of the gas V8's, and still provide excellent power.  A hybrid system for it was also rumored to be in the design stage.   

It has the cylinder heads on backwards (exhaust ports face into center) and breathes through it's valve covers.  Lots of other trick tech as well. 

I really want to buy it just to tear it apart and look inside, but that's a heavy bill for curiousity.  Good minitruck engine as well, as it should bolt right into the Chevy Colorado V8 edition. 

If someone was looking to set the D/DS record, this is the most advanced powerplant if you can adapt the 6.6 injection system to it.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Diesel Oddity.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:21:27 AM »
It's less than 10 bucks including shipping..... reads like a scam.... go on, bid a buck....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:42:09 AM »
go on, bid a buck....

FWIW, I have had great success selling with insanely low starting bids and no reserve. 

Usually starts a bidding frenzy and gets you lots of publicity, while similar items with higher starting bids go without  bids.  Starting this way usually ends up with higher final prices than those similar items with higher starting bids.   :-D

I've also shipped stuff so cheap I probably only paid for the gas to FedeX and shipping costs.   :cry:

If you think it's  a scam, a phone call can help make up your mind either way in a hurry.  Scammers usually won't give out a phone number or call you, and will hope for another sucker.  Lots of scammers take over old unused accounts, so the phone number area code usually doesn't match the ad location.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:23:43 AM »
I bought an engine on Ebay from a guy that was a known crook. He had been banned from Ebay and a number of forums because of the large number of people he had screwed. He had attempted to sell the engine and it was quickly yanked from the forum he posted it on. (Not this one.) A buddy listed it for him on Ebay.

The fix? Escrow.com
https://www.escrow.com/index.asp

This is an Ebay company. The money goes into escrow, the engine gets shipped. You have three days to inspect and accept or return.
If I was shipped a box of rocks I could just send it back. The engine turned out to be just as advertised and I released the money.

It costs $32.50 for $1,000 and $175 for $10,000. It was cheap insurance.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.