Author Topic: Bending tubes, how is this done?  (Read 19671 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Bending tubes, how is this done?
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »
i would really appreciate if you didnt talk about my wife like that --------------------willie buchta
Willie, Warn a guy before posting something that funny, will ya??? :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »
NU B ?
 We are bending a large hair pin with 6' long legs, it takes 6 bends for us to get the radius we need.  Anyone have any tricks or techniques on keeping the legs parallel? thanks sparky
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2010, 11:28:59 PM »
a reference line down the length of tubing is a good place to start.

Index to it every time you move the part.
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline salt27

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2010, 11:37:45 PM »
NU B ?
 We are bending a large hair pin with 6' long legs, it takes 6 bends for us to get the radius we need.  Anyone have any tricks or techniques on keeping the legs parallel? thanks sparky

I use a clamp-on level, they are available at electrical supply stores.

Don

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2010, 12:51:40 AM »
To keep the legs parallel I use a digital level on a clamp that mounts on the tube. One you can get at an electrical supply works just as well :wink:Not sure it is a good idea to make 6 bends to create a hairpin. When I bend dragster shoulder hoops I make them in 2 pieces, slip tube and resette weld as shown on another thread, but I only use 2 rosettes per side. If you just need 1 180 degree bend of a certain radius find someone with a CNC mandrel bender and have it bent.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
We were using a magnettic angle finder and we ended up a little bit off, due to the length I think.  I was looking for other ways. The refrence line may help---we will put one on and try again.

This tube is for the lower frame rail to form the nose, there is no bend in the cockpit aera; there will be 1/4" plate welded flush for the bottom of the cockpit.  Thanks again for the response.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline BAILEIGH INC

• New folks
    • Baileigh
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2010, 10:44:04 AM »
We were using a magnettic angle finder and we ended up a little bit off, due to the length I think.  I was looking for other ways. The refrence line may help---we will put one on and try again.

This tube is for the lower frame rail to form the nose, there is no bend in the cockpit aera; there will be 1/4" plate welded flush for the bottom of the cockpit.  Thanks again for the response.

Are you using a digital angle level?
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@bii1.com
www.bii1.com
920-684-4990

Click Here For Quality Metal
Fabrication Equipment From BAILEIGH  www.bii1.com

Offline BAILEIGH INC

• New folks
    • Baileigh
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
try trick-tools .com

This is where I came from. I worked there for years before moving to Wisconsin and starting at Baileigh.
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@bii1.com
www.bii1.com
920-684-4990

Click Here For Quality Metal
Fabrication Equipment From BAILEIGH  www.bii1.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2010, 01:46:19 PM »
ooooh  :?  SR moment CRS   :-(  I forgot how sensative the dighital was and I have one!!!!!!!!!  now if I can find it!!!!! :-D