Author Topic: Bending tubes, how is this done?  (Read 19668 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: Bending tubes, how is this done?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:54:11 PM »
And here`s another using the table for adjustment.

I don't know if I would do this. It may be hard on the spindle bearings and lead screws.
Most milling machines are not designed to take that kind of load.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 08:29:05 AM »
And here`s another using the table for adjustment.

I don't know if I would do this. It may be hard on the spindle bearings and lead screws.
Most milling machines are not designed to take that kind of load.
That one was used to form .050 wall aluminum, But , yes it might be a little rough on the quill. I like the set-up using the vise ,just a little more work to get there. :cheers: Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

McRat

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 11:41:04 AM »
I'd certainly tram in the head afterwards.  Pretty sure you'll start to move the head before doing serious damage to the spindle or worm gears.  Many times I've accidently dead ended a Bridgeport, usually when the mill vise hits the column in Y.  And on many production setups I used a dead stop on the X.  The head often goes out of tram.  Now if you put a cheater bar on the handle...   :evil:

Offline BAILEIGH INC

• New folks
    • Baileigh
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 08:50:24 AM »
Any questions about roll bending....I'm your man. I have several threads on other forums about roll bending. Any questions, let me know.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344182&highlight=the+official+roll+bending

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5361&highlight=official

Even Jaime and Adam from Mythbusters have asked us for roll bending help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYmCYkMzhD0&feature=player_embedded
Shane Henderson
Baileigh Industrial Inc.
shenderson@bii1.com
www.bii1.com
920-684-4990

Click Here For Quality Metal
Fabrication Equipment From BAILEIGH  www.bii1.com

mojomann

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 03:49:36 PM »
Most electrical contractors have hydraulic tubing benders that they use for various size conduit. A commercial tool rental company could probably rent one very economically compared to buying one. The only problem there is the learning curve on rental time. These certainly do variable radii.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 06:31:58 PM »
Just remember if you have access to an electrical bender the shoes are for Rigid conduit or Electrical Metallic Tubing. There sizes are all measured by Inside Diameter not Outside Diameter.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »
My friend Bob who made museum displays had a customer who wanted a 6 ft dia 8 ft tall stainless model of a section of a DNA coil . The 2" dia spiral tubes were like spiral stairway railings . Nobody wanted to make them but one shop let Bob use their 4 wheel bender . Some how he got the horizontal and vertical radii right on the first try .

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 12:44:27 AM »
Pictures!!!   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »
there is a bender on e-bay   360226496507   its local pick up only in buffalo n.y.----looks like a few parts might be missing and looks like a harbor freight                                                    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 02:03:18 AM »
I bought this tube roller at Harbor Freight. Actually it turned out to be a pipe roller. One of the dies will work on a 1 1/2" tube and one will work on a 1" tube. I needed an 1 1/4" die so I bought some blanks and had them machined like the die from my JD Squared bender. Which the groove for the tube is just a little bit deeper than half the tube and its a little bit narrower then the tube. So when it bends the tube it keeps it round. It didn't come with the stand I had to build that. And as I need more dies I will just get them made. When I bend some tubes with it I will post them. Heres some pics.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 02:04:28 AM »
Here are a few more pics.

willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »
Willie has been busy, looks like a twin engined flat bottom side car motorcycle on a table in his garage.. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 12:49:47 AM »
My brother bought the same bender from harbour freight and converted the jack screw to a hyd. ram from his portapower kit this is the bender i used to make some of the floor bracing in my roadster. The only problem I had was the bend wanted to twist like a corkscrew.
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
Willy,
What is the smallest radius that Harbor Freight bender will bend? It looks like it is only good for real large radiuses. I was actually looking at buying or building a bender like this one:
http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm. Any comments on this type of bender compared to the manual ones from JD Squared?

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer